Artificer Update: results of the survey and more

Xeviat

Hero
Even the DMG only assumes area attacks hitting 2 targets on average when determining monster CR. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what the Artificer's damage potential looks like to see if it's in the same ballpark as the Rogue.

5ekyu

Hero
The point is it CAN hit 6 targets, and as my post said, even if it's only hitting 3, it's doing more damage than the Ballista can. And because it's a save, and not an attack roll, even for those who save, they still take half damage, so some damage is done every turn.

I don't understand why people are arguing with me because I'm pointing out that the Turret can hit 6 targets. Nobody says "Yeah, but the odds of hitting a lot of people with fireball are so small, it doesn't even matter." Fireball can hit a 20 ft sphere, so they can hit lots of targets. it doesn't matter how many they can hit, it matters they can hit a lot of them. The turrets do 1d8 damage to up to six people for each turret. They don't need an upgrade. They're an AOE attack. It doesn't matter that "You'll never get six people lined up". It matters that it can hit six squares at once. The more people are there, the more it can hit, up to six people. AOE attacks are a thing in DND and most people think they're pretty good.

Sometimes I feel that people argue with me just to argue.
As someone pointed out, attacks *can* crit but one doesnt typically count that as baseline for comparison - foesnt assume crits.

The DMG has guidelines for assumed creatures caught by area size and type. It would seem reasonable to account for the extra damage of AOEs along that scale.

If you dont care whether your analysis has credibility, then of course you can make any assumptions you want.

Once got in a discussion on "expected dsmage" with a guy who insisted on assuming attack rolls would hit well above average because *his* d20 was rolling 14 more than any other result and he thought mode made more sense to use.

That was easily solved tho, folks just started ignoring his "analysis".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases