Search attempt results in strange errors

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This has been going on for a while now (6-8 hours?). I'm trying to find an old thread and I'm getting messages like this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 3733387 bytes) in /var/www/virtual/enworld/forum/vb/search/results.php on line 464

(the search term was "monk")

Nagol

Unimportant
I find it is often better to search the site with google. Just enter site:enworld.org as one of the search terms and you'll only receive hits from the site.

CapnZapp

Legend
It really is kind of sad when you think about it how Google does search better than 99% of site-specific offerings.

(You'd think the search offered by a given site would be the best at searching that specific site. You'd be wrong.)

Of course, this does help explain why Google has crushed all the competition...

And just to make sure: no, I'm not complaining. Googling with the "site:" parameter works swell.

You often don't need to enter it yourself, by the way. Do a search specific enough that you get some results from ENWorld. You should then see a link saying "more results from this site" or something like that. Click that link and notice how Google adds the "site:" keyword by itself!

(Googling "monk" obviously is too general, and probably won't generate any rpg-related search results. Try "monk 5e" or "monk dnd" or even "monk enworld")

The main benefit is that you don't have to remember the site's exact address. Like for instance "is it enworld dot com or what?" (it's dot org)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

discosoc

First Post
@Morrus needs to increase the PHP memory limit to something larger than 128M as a test, just to make sure it's not something simple. The error I'm reproducing, however, is over a value smaller than the current limit, so I'll troubleshoot some more.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I honestly think the best fix is to rip out any proprietary search modules and replace them with a Google plug in.

I can't see any value in Morrus spending time on fixing what will always be a substandard offering.

Few site specific search modules are worth keeping. All they do is consume server resources.

All my personal opinion. Cheers

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

discosoc

First Post
At least on my end, the problem is only introduced when attempting to search cached data (what appears to happen by default when hitting enter from the search field). If you manually select "Advanced Search" and go from there, it seems to work. This might be something that can be fixed by simply clearing the cache from the vbulletin admin panel.

Remove ads