• Rokugan

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Uh... why not Dragon Empires?

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lemoncurry

Votes: 18 18.8%

Psyzhran2357

First Post
Considering how WotC is carefully handling culture/racial/gender/etc issues right now, I do not think we will ever see a full-blown book on the region unless and until they feel they can walk the line just right in the writing. And I am fine with that. I do not want to see a book full of negative stereotypes and biases.
Use Xianxia genre conventions to reinvent Kara-Tur while also updating the timeline for 5e to incorporate the Spellplague and the Second Sundering. Or hell, get a Xianxia author to consult or even write the setting, and maybe a series of tie-in novels. If it comes out looking like 三生三世十里桃花/Three Lives, Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, you're probably on the right track.

A plot idea I have is for Shou Lung to have undergone a dynastic shift some time in the mid-late 1400s DR, with the new dynasty maybe swallowing T'u Lung or Koryo. The last scion of the previous dynasty, who survived and fled to Faerun, would be a major NPC and quest giver for a hypothetical party.

gyor

Legend
Use Xianxia genre conventions to reinvent Kara-Tur while also updating the timeline for 5e to incorporate the Spellplague and the Second Sundering. Or hell, get a Xianxia author to consult or even write the setting, and maybe a series of tie-in novels. If it comes out looking like 三生三世十里桃花/Three Lives, Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, you're probably on the right track.

A plot idea I have is for Shou Lung to have undergone a dynastic shift some time in the mid-late 1400s DR, with the new dynasty maybe swallowing T'u Lung or Koryo. The last scion of the previous dynasty, who survived and fled to Faerun, would be a major NPC and quest giver for a hypothetical party.

I'd love some Kara Tur Novels.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/05/dungeons-and-dragons-2020-settings-diversity/

People seem to forgot this, that Wotc is going to be updating Kara Tur and some other less European centric regions with help from experts on various cultures.

I suggested before that a full-fledged Kaladesh campaign setting (yes I know they have a Planeshift article on that) might be a thing since they're starting to do Magic the Gathering settings after releasing Ravnica, and Kaladesh is sort of an Indian analog with airships.

Staffan

Legend
For those who like Rokugan, you do know that there's a new Legend of the Five Rings RPG out, right? It's very much not like D&D (or the old Legend of the Five Rings), but it probably works better for the setting in question than 5e does.

TheSword

Legend
I love Rokugan. Awesome setting with plenty of opportunity to expand into alternative cultures, an Indian equivalent, desert waste, and Great Plains are all referenced but not detailed. The clans are pretty varied with a fair few non-human races as well.

Ultimately the setting lacks adventures to signpost and demonstrate the possibilities. I’m excited to see if FFgames release a campaign that can be converted to 5e.

Voadam

Legend
I read the d20 Rokugan book and really liked it. It does fantasy samurai area with themed clan politics very well.

I used OA in 1e, 2e, and 3e as source material for individual elements like classes and spells and monsters but not really Kara Tur.

I own Dragon empires and other not-Asia sourcebooks but have not delved into them deeply. D20 Rokugan is the one that appeals to me the most as a setting to use.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases