D&D 5E Did The Finished 5th Edition Change Anyone's Mind?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
On page 59 of the basic rules, there is a variant rule: "Variant: Skills with Different Abilities" that talks about doing skill checks with non-standard abilities where appropriate and gives the example of making a Constitution (Athletics) check applying proficiency bonus if applicable for making a long swim.

Is this an example of uncoupled skills?

Exactly. It was around in some of the playtests and then Athletics became Strength only. I like that variant rule - it just gives the players the chance to be creative. Pretending to be a juggler and making a Dex (Performance) skill, etc.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
I was cold on the play test. Downloaded the packet a few times and wasn't impressed.

Then I played in a basic set game and it really piqued my interest. Bought the PHB and had that same "this is very well done" feeling I had when I picked up 3e back in the day. Now having all 3 books, I feel like this is the refined 2e I was looking for without all the bloat 3.x brought into the game. Currently running a 5e game set in Harn World, and looking at running more games in the future (running 3 6-hour sessions at Norwescon!).

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have to call foul on this. It may not play to your tastes, but to call it objectively bad is just inaccurate. Look at all the folks who are enjoying 5th Edition;
I'm quite enjoying running it, myself. It is very much to the tastes I cultivated in the early days of the hobby. That was the point. While it would misleading of me to call the mechanics of the game 'brilliant,' or 'good' or 'balanced,' or even entirely functional, in a technical sense, the game as a whole so closely evokes the way it was some 35 years ago, that it makes the game a blast to run (for me).

I only had time in my gaming schedule to actually play with the first packet. I downloaded each one and looked through it as they came out, but didn't have time to actually play any of them. I kept watching with interest and was happy enough with the free basic release to grab a starter set and a PHB. Shortly thereafter I was running two 5E campaigns.

DaveDash

Explorer
I was very cold on 5e in the beginning. I didn't like it and thought it was "Retro D&D". After actually playing the full game however I completely changed my tune.

phantomK9

Explorer
I had gotten in on the play test and was pleasantly surprised by what was in there. The advantage rule alone was enough to continue giving it a try. But after the disaster that was 4th edition our group was so leery of anything D&D that we had moved on from it completely, choosing instead Fate and subsequent Fate Core for all of our games.

Then one in our group went to a game/trade convention (for his work) and got his hands on the PHB. We instantly fell in love with 5e and immediately decided to stop the game he was running and begin 5e.

So yes, the finished product did change our minds from pleasantly indifferent to completely invested.

Eric V

Hero
I was very cold on 5e in the beginning. I didn't like it and thought it was "Retro D&D". After actually playing the full game however I completely changed my tune.

Same here. Truth be told, it still feels a little (needlessly) retro, and there were some great advances in game mechanics that were abandoned in the name of this retro feeling, but overall it was good enough for my two groups to convert to. We're pretty happy with it. I sort of feel part of the reason for that is Cook's leaving the project early on.

Remove ads