Judges Guild Deluxe Collectors Edition

Feeroper

Explorer
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone got this oversized book that Goodman Games recently put out, whether via the kickstarter or through their FLGS?

I am interested in it, but am trying to decide if it is worth the money. My FLGS has this massive book currently in stock, but I don't know how much I would actually get to use from this - is it mostly just the reprinted modules from Judges Guild? How much space is devoted to the periodicals or any of the essays and articles (like the one written by Jon Peterson)? I have a couple JG modules in my collection (the original Dark Tower and Tegel Manor).

If anyone who got this could give me their impressions Id appreciate it. I know it is more of a collectors piece as opposed to a usable game supplement, but I am hoping the extra stuff beyond the reprints is good too.

Thanks!

JeffB

Legend
I wanted this very badly, but could not swing the cash during the KS. Many of us asked Joe if they would do a PDF, but they did not acquire the rights to do that according to him.

Quite a bit of this book is the old JG Journals. As for the adventures-Badabaskor and Citadel don't do much for me but Tegel Manor is a blast.

Worth it if you are a hardcore JG, Wilderlands, or early days of the hobby, Fan.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
>ears perk up<

What is this? First I've heard of such a thing.
[MENTION=518]JeffB[/MENTION] - are there any other adventure modules in it beyond those you mentioned?

Lanefan

JeffB

Legend
>ears perk up<

[MENTION=518]JeffB[/MENTION] - are there any other adventure modules in it beyond those you mentioned?

Lanefan

Only the three complete adventures I mentioned according to the Goodman marketing..though the journals have other adventure material.

Feeroper

Explorer
>ears perk up<

Lanefan
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] - The deluxe book comes with the three that JeffB mentioned, but Goodman also restored & scanned a couple other ones that aren't in the Deluxe Collectors book - Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia. All of the modules were also released separately as tabletop editions which are more practical for tabletop play (they are on standard sized books), whereas the deluxe collectors edition is meant to be more of a proper collectors item. Looks like you can order these at the Goodman games online store if your FLGS doesn't carry them.

Here is a video of the Deluxe Collectors edition being shown off at the GAMA trade show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0urtEQ_pz4&t=1s

I picked up some of the individual modules, and they are indeed nicely done. I’ve looked at the giant deluxe edition, and while it’s neat, I’m not sure I’d go for it given the price range. Seeing the original drafts of the maps, for example, is interesting, but not exactly groundbreaking. Plus, it’d be annoying to fit on most bookshelves (and as a former librarian, I am pretty used to shelving all sorts of crazy-sized books).

All of the modules were also released separately as tabletop editions which are more practical for tabletop play (they are on standard sized books),

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] - The deluxe book comes with the three that JeffB mentioned, but Goodman also restored & scanned a couple other ones that aren't in the Deluxe Collectors book - Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia. All of the modules were also released separately as tabletop editions which are more practical for tabletop play (they are on standard sized books), whereas the deluxe collectors edition is meant to be more of a proper collectors item. Looks like you can order these at the Goodman games online store if your FLGS doesn't carry them.
Thanks!

I already have Dark Tower (original) and Caverns of Thracia (the reprint you mentioned). I also already have Citadel of Fire - is that the "Citadel" mentioned? - and most of Tegal Manor, so probably not worth it for me to get this collector's edition just for Badabaskor. :)

Lanefan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases