A Crunchy Take On Conan From Modiphius Entertainment

With the latest in their string of popular games based on licensed properties, Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan in their latest game for their 2d20 System of rules.

204217.jpg
View attachment 95751

Conan in An Age Undreamed Of is based up Robert E. Howard's world of Hyborian and iconic anti-hero Conan the Barbarian. Players will be creating characters immersed in the unique lands of Hyborian, as Conan provides a fully gameable setting, derivative of Howard's fiction.
Character creation is an involving and crunchy ten step process. I made a character to get a better feel for this review. There's a lot of room to create pretty much any character theme. The game offers ten Archetypes (something like character classes), but each are very customizable as players determine the background, caste, skills and whole host of other features. How you create character is left to your group, be it by random roll (traditional D&D method) or player selection, and every choice has mechanical as well as roleplay significance.

The mechanics for Conan involves a number of different elements, but use only two die types: d20 & d6. The most common roll will be a skill check, which is a roll under, sometimes variable (1d20 - 3d20), but typically 2d20 dice system. The Target Number of a skill check is derived from the characters ability; and success is the result if the player rolls equal or under that target number. The GM can option to increase or decrease the overall Difficulty Rating of a skill test (based on conditions) by increasing or reducing the amount successes required on a specific roll.

The target audience of the game will likely be those who like some mechanical crunch. The basic mechanics are light, but combat tactics have slightly crunchier options than Savage Worlds. One of the interesting features is Doom and Momentum, which are essentially meta-mechanics, which accumulate point pools. Momentum points are acquired by player characters whenever they gain more than one success on a given check and can be later spent by any member of the group for a variety of advantageous purposes. Doom works with similar fashion for GMs and is used to ratchet up tension, by creating inconveniences and complications within the story.

The PDF digitizing in before my screen is a full color behemoth at 440 pages and includes a separate PDF of character sheets and a color map detailing part of the Hyborian world. A starter adventure and a heaping handful of NPC foes or potential allies are included. The Table of Contents is minutely detailed, including individual page and chapter hyperlinks and a three page Index. There is nothing left to want in visual representation and art. Text is in standard two column format. Did I mention the PDF is gorgeous? It is.

The setting elements are well done, the combat mechanics look intriguing. One place where the game succeeds is in presenting Howard's work in a thorough manner. That said, while grammar is respectable, I thought the writing could have been tighter in a few spots. I think that GMs will occasionally find themselves hunting for things. Especially as when referencing rules and such and especially if this is your first delve in Modiphius' system.

Conan Adventures in An Age Undreamed Of is well put together. If you're a fan of Howard's work, most certainly this is the RPG you've been waiting for, if in fact you are still waiting.

Disclosure: This review includes affiliate links. The PDF of Conan Adventures in An Age Undreamed was provided at no cost, for the purpose of this review.

contributed by Jeff Duncan

Last edited by a moderator:

Slit518

Adventurer
I was introduced to 2d20 through Star Trek Adventures first, having read it from the playtest materials. I didn't like it then, and found the explanation of them in those packets to be confusing. Before buying the game I wanted to try out the system and played Conan at Free RPG Day last year, and that's where it clicked, convincing me to get STA, but also introducing me to Conan. The system plays far better than it might seem on paper. Try to find someone who runs it and play - that'd be a much better way than reading the book alone. It was for me.

That was probably my mistake. I should try that.

Wyvern

Explorer
It's a discussion about the Conan 2d20 system.

Um, yeah. I can see that. But the fact that it's right at the top of the front page, under the heading "News Updates", with an opening line that says "Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan," as if it's something that just happened... well, it creates a false impression, is all I'm saying.

DerKastellan

Explorer
This is certainly right now the crunchiest 2d20 game. I also ran Star Trek Adventures first which helped me pin down the basics, but Conan added its fair share of crunch to make combat interesting.

Some slight criticism is warranted to some products - like for example the GM screen. It has a list of all the special actions you can take in combat - but doesn't give a short summary of how to do that. Like an exploit action is "do an awareness D1 test, gain X Y Z". Text passages from the main books are included verbatim in supplements. Some setting information is highly repetitive and confusing. And pinning down how a rule or skill is supposed to work - looking at you, Sorcery and Alchemy - requires research among meager online resources. And you get 0 advice for building combat encounters of different difficulty.

BUT...

I love this game! Its setting is very interesting, its mechanics very versatile, and playing it is very engaging. Expansion hardcovers are super cheap and all the books in the line look great. I supported the KS for the digital and find myself now picking up the print to collect (and play).

Caliburn101

Explorer
I was one of the playtesters (accredited in the main Kickstarter rulebook) and ran a game at the last UK Dragonmeet. I will also be running games at Games Expo this year in the UK.

Some of this review is factually wrong, but not too far off generally. The system is indeed a little crunchy, but this is combined with a very simple core mechanic. My groups (I run two currently) got the rules completely down after around 2-3 typical 4 hour sessions. After that happens it runs fast and smooth. Most of the crunch is in the form of Talents (which modify dice rolls or results) and the choice you make to use Momentum and Doom, or Fortune Points. However, a quick look-up sheet or two on the table and this is also easy. Essentially, unlike many magic-ridden rpgs, the martial characters (that is to say, nearly all if not all the characters) get to have a coolaid choice of actions in combat like users of magic do in other systems.

Oh yes, and Displays (intimidate rules on steroids) make for great situations... want to clear a room of enemies? - chop of their leader's head and hold it up to them! Want that rabid wolf to back off and not got your sword handy? - pick up a flaming brand and wave it in it's face. Did you just cast a spell and the heart of the enemy leader erupted from his chest and flew into your outstretched hand (yes, that is a spell effect found in the core rules...) - just smile at the rest of them like they are next...

... and on a good roll they will run for the hills...

Much of the crunch isn't at the table however as there are hundreds of Talents and not that many on each character sheet at the start, and each player only needs to have written down what their PC's talents do. Pretty straightforward.

There is more for the GM to do of course... but isn't their always?

Combat is both gritty and savage without making PCs very vulnerable to being insta-killed, which is a clever innovation.

The rules on Sorcery are brutal and very dark. Completely mastering sorcery is nigh-on impossible without unwholesome sacrifices of sanity and humanity... just like the novels. However, a Sorcerer in the party is great fun if the player is well briefed on the many pitfalls and firmly pointed at creating a character that can fight as well as cast.

It's great fun for the GM too as the rules require you to tempt the sorcerer PC with additional sources of dark powers (like the Force, but there isn't a light side to it...) which they either resist or fall to. Falling of course means trouble for the Sorcerer and everyone around them, so it creates real tension.

Min-maxers beware... making a one-trick pony character can get you killed or imprisoned or dying of thirst in a desert REALLY fast. If you aren't well rounded at the start, you will suffer, as the challenges of the Hyborian Age do not restrict themselves to 'dungeons', social encounters or hack 'n' slash.

I am not going to go on about the meta-game tokens - Doom, Momentum and Fortune points. They have been greatly discussed. However, I will say that the detractors on the net almost universally either hate any kind of meta-mechanic and/or haven't played the game and try to explain how they work incorrectly as a result. Most times I read a serious critical statement about these parts of the game it is as clear as day that they haven't played. I have a policy now not to get drawn into such discussions advising them to simply play the game and then post opinions.

How does it play compared to how it reads? Significantly better - the book is a little wordy, and this was not entirely dealt with during the playtest and development cycle. However, to underline my comment above, please understand, you simply cannot fully understand it until you try it. It isn't adversarial or counterintuitive as is said frequently and the crunchiness does not detract from smooth and swift gameplay once everyone is accustomed to it.

Let's put it this way. Of the five players I ran for at Dragonmeet, none had played before, and after a nearly 5 hour session "Red Moon Over Shadizar" (my own scenario) they all said they were going to go to the Modiphius stand and buy it. They all loved the game and wanted more Swords and Sorcery in their roleplay lives. We actually exceeded our play slot because they had been having so much fun with the skill interactions etc. in the non-combat scenes that we overshot our 4 hour allocation but then kept playing anyway due to unanimous demand. We only finally packed up after a steward forced us to clear the table as we were in the final combat scene on Dagoth Hill!

One player was gutted that their Hyrkanian Archer never got to use their 'Shoot for the Horizon' talent...

But anyway, they all loved it, without reservation, so you can't say fairer than that I would suggest...

... if you don't believe me, come along to Games Expo 2018 and sign up for my "Shadows of Sabatea" game once I have arranged it (I'll probably do so over my Easter break).

"Crush your doubts about the system, drive them before you and hear the lamentation of the internet trolls..."

Last edited by a moderator:

imagineGod

Legend
This is certainly right now the crunchiest 2d20 game. I also ran Star Trek Adventures first which helped me pin down the basics, but Conan added its fair share of crunch to make combat interesting.
Correction, the "crunchiest" 2d20 system is actually Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition (launched 28th of January, 2014), which makes sense since it wars the very first 2d20 system Kickstarterd by Modiphius Entertainment (Robert E. Howard's Conan was launched later on the 16th of February, 2016).

In Mutant Chronicles, you even have different levels of armor tracked for different parts of the body and damage tracked individually too, so headshots are very valuable in that game. Plus the D6 combat dice, only count hits for the 1 and 2 pips and only special effects on the 6 (with worthless nulls for 3, 4, 5). And since the 6 only counts for special effects if your weapon offers those, rolling only 6s without any 1s or 2s is not desirable either. You may now realize why automatic weapon fire is so desirable to get as many rolls of 2 on the D6 combat pool as possible.

DerKastellan

Explorer
In Mutant Chronicles, you even have different levels of armor tracked for different parts of the body and damage tracked individually too, so headshots are very valuable in that game. Plus the D6 combat dice, only count hits for the 1 and 2 pips and only special effects on the 6 (with worthless nulls for 3, 4, 5). And since the 6 only counts for special effects if your weapon offers those, rolling only 6s without any 1s or 2s is not desirable either. You may now realize why automatic weapon fire is so desirable to get as many rolls of 2 on the D6 combat pool as possible.

How does that add more crunch, really? Conan 2d20 has also hit locations, but uses them differently (like with the sacrificing armor rules). Not having a damage point for rolling a 6 gives a different weight to weapon specialities but does not do much in terms of actual rules to evaluate. You've proven you're able to make a more optimal choice of weapon in that particular system by looking at it, but you haven't shown it is more crunchy.

More crunchy - more options for the player to consider. Conan 2d20 has plenty of those - more than Star Trek Adventures which is by default not as combat heavy. Now, if you could show that Mutant Chronicles has more combat rules than Conan 2d20 than this would come under the heading of "Correction" - unless you wanted to say "is just as crunchy" which would be fine with me, anyway. The different 2d20 games certainly show off how little variations can change the feel of a game.

imagineGod

Legend
How does that add more crunch, really? Conan 2d20 has also hit locations, but uses them differently (like with the sacrificing armor rules). Not having a damage point for rolling a 6 gives a different weight to weapon specialities but does not do much in terms of actual rules to evaluate. You've proven you're able to make a more optimal choice of weapon in that particular system by looking at it, but you haven't shown it is more crunchy.

More crunchy - more options for the player to consider. Conan 2d20 has plenty of those - more than Star Trek Adventures which is by default not as combat heavy. Now, if you could show that Mutant Chronicles has more combat rules than Conan 2d20 than this would come under the heading of "Correction" - unless you wanted to say "is just as crunchy" which would be fine with me, anyway. The different 2d20 games certainly show off how little variations can change the feel of a game.
Attached is the armor and damage tracking character sheet from Mutant Chronicles. Your character gets different levels of resistance for the head, torso, etc without armor. Then when you add armor, you get different soak values based on the types of armor. Damage is first deduced directly from the hit location after rolling the hit location dice, then when all those "light wounds" tracks are full, it goes to serious wounds, before finally the dreadful critical wounds. That is definitely more crunch to track than the crunchy Conan 2d20 wounds table.

Also, each weapon in Mutant Chronicles is tracked against its corruption susceptibility to the Dark Symmetry, and a weapon can malfunction, especially the more technologically advanced weapons that are more susceptible than slug-throwers. Weapons in the Conan RPG do not have this tracking mechanic.

View attachment 95973

imagineGod

Legend
Star Trek Adventures may be lighter overall, but it has lots of crunch in starship combat in particular, much more options than you track in Conan melee combat or even the sorceries. In Star Trek Starship combat, apart from tracking damage to shields, which could be the equivalent of Conan's sacrificed armor otions, you also track power levels and can order Engineering to divert more power to shields. And if the enemy succeeds at a breach, and your ship takes damage, you need to track which systems are damaged and the severity (like a Warp Core breach imminent situation), and if seriously damaged, the GM may even require the use of the dreaded "Extended Task" for Engineering to attempt repairs. The Extended Task can also come into play if the Science Officer is researching under time pressures for ways to take down an alien vessel's seemingly impenetrable shielding. And all this with the added juggling of tracking the bridge crew positions are active so you know which of the crew members is following the Captain's direct order to gain additional benefits to actions.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases