WOIN Defense Options

Flips

Explorer
I have a player who likes to have options in melee combat, particularly on the defensive side. From 3.5 and Pathfinder you have options like fighting defensively and full defense, which are intended to allow you to try and be the focus of the enemy and withstand the incoming attacks.

I have been looking through the rules and there have been a few exploits that can be used to help the defender in certain cases: Dodge, Evasive Action, Hunker Down, and Protector. I am hoping to extend the idea that a character can do anything but exploits make you better at it, in the same way that the Trip exploit removes the cost from the called shot equivalent.

How do these sound?
  • Fight Defensively - Pay 2d6 on all attacks to inflict a -1d6 penalty to a specific attacker until your next turn. Only one attacker can be affected at a time.
  • Full Defensive - 2 action. Gain +4 Melee Defense and +2 Ranged Defense until your next turn. These bonuses double if wielding a shield.

Are there too powerful? Can they be toned down or have I missed options already present in one of the rule sets? There are a lot of ways an attacker can improve their ability to hit, hopefully these can give the defender some options too.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There’s an article on EONS which covers the idea of various stances. I can’t remember it’s name offhand though!

M3woods

Explorer
There’s an article on EONS which covers the idea of various stances. I can’t remember it’s name offhand though!

I think it was titled En Garde.

Also, The Holds of Vendalyr has several new exploits for the DEFENSE-minded character: Elusive Mark, Cunning Defense, Reactive Strike, Reactive Trip, and Uncanny Dodge. Plus, each of the eight stances (called Tilts in the book) offer a psionic ability that applied to DEFENSE while the stance is active.

Flips

Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses! I checked out the stances and they do seem to fall in line with what I have posted above. Though I think the stances are more powerful, they also require an exploit which was something I was trying to avoid. I think a defensively focused fighter would be wise to take these stances and other exploits, I am hoping to land on minor versions of these options for the less dedicated (like the Called Shot action vs. Trip exploit dynamic). :)

knikpiw

Explorer
  • Full Defensive - 2 action. Gain +4 Melee Defense and +2 Ranged Defense until your next turn. These bonuses double if wielding a shield.

So let's say you use these rules, with the bonus doubling with the use of a shield, does this mean all shields? Or does vary with shield?

Flips

Explorer
So let's say you use these rules, with the bonus doubling with the use of a shield, does this mean all shields? Or does vary with shield?

Good question! I think my original idea was any shield, but it would make more sense to get a bigger bonus for a bigger shield. Maybe add the shield value again (yes I know it is then added 2x, but on the defense, shields are really good!) It might be too much, but that is why I am looking for some feedback. :)

M3woods

Explorer
Personally, I'd go with something along the lines of:
FULL DEFENSIVE. Spend two actions to take a completely defensive position. For the remainder of the round you are considered in Cover. Opponents take a -2d6 penalty to Attack rolls against you. Additionally, a shield used in this exploit gains a +1 to its DEFENSE bonus.

knikpiw

Explorer
But the Full Defense would only work for Melee attacks. This isn't you being all switch and dodging bullets, that's the DODGE exploit. With use of a shield it could grant a +1 for every size category larger than itself, e.g. a Borian with a large shield gets a bonus +2

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases