Where Do They Get Their Money? Part Two

Today we’re going to talk more about money. Last column I discussed some of the quirks of coinage as a unit of weight backed by the commodity metal it’s minted from. This time, I’ll talk about other kinds of money.

Today we’re going to talk more about money. Last column I discussed some of the quirks of coinage as a unit of weight backed by the commodity metal it’s minted from. This time, I’ll talk about other kinds of money.

Representative money is a unit with no intrinsic value - such as a zinc disc, or a slip of durable paper - that can be exchanged for a precious commodity, such as gold or silver. Why switch to representative money, however, if the previous coins minted from commodities worked perfectly fine before?

Remember my previous column, where I mentioned how precious metal coinage could be defaced by shaving and milling. Having the coinage itself be base metal, exchangeable for commodity, would help ensure and protect its worth. Moreover, if the coin itself is just a token exchangeable for gold or silver, why not use lighter media such as paper or cloth as units of exchange for units that would be unwieldy to carry around?

Five thousand gold pieces weighs about a hundred pounds, if you go by D&D 5E’s estimations - kind of unwieldy for most purposes. A letter of credit from a certified bank, backed by its reserves of gold, however, makes for a more convenient token of exchange than the coinage itself. This lends itself well to settings with established, entrenched mercantile banking systems, especially if the PCs are going to be dealing in units of cargo.

Representative paper money is vulnerable to forgery, however, which means, of course, that counter-forgery measures will enter use. For example, modern paper currency utilizes watermarks, specially made paper or polymer, and holographic strips of metal embedded in the note’s surface. A setting with widespread magic might have slightly more exotic ways of demonstrating its authenticity. A rather more white-collar thieves’ guild might be locked in an arms race of exploits and countermeasures, with squads of roguish alchemists performing experiments to reverse-engineer an alchemical ink used only on authentic banknotes, while a bank’s own experts examine forgeries in order to refine their techniques.

Magic could also be an interesting way of protecting paper money from forgery. A letter of credit signed to a specific bearer could be reinforced with a silent image displaying the features of its owner. Such a note would require disguises to successfully use if filched, and imagine trying to pick pockets if a banknote screams that it’s been stolen once it’s been taken? The note’s rightful owner would of course have received a token from the bank that silenced the magic as long as both were in their possession.

This can lead to an entertaining world building wrinkle. Imagine if you will, a guild of commercial wizards who specialize more in banking, logistics and long-range communications setting up their own bank. Their arcane measures would make their banknotes the most reliable ones in a region, and their access to non-couriered forms of messaging means that they could establish branches in faraway ports without too much difficulty. Now consider dragons. They are sapient, long-lived, and love piles of treasure. An enterprising dragon could form its own banking system run by kobolds day-to-day, a monstrous counterpart to the wizard-backed bank.

Both the examples above - the wizard’s guild or the dragon - would make for an excellent patron for a group of PCs, especially if they own their own trading vessel, or journey for rare commodities such as spices and gems. Those would also make for entertaining dungeon plans, given the necessity for vaults and guards, and provide an exciting backdrop for a heist adventure.

This article was contributed by M.W. Simmes as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So, you move the main currency to silver (SP = GP), make gold rarer and copper useful as change. I always felt there was too much gold lying around, and that was my solution. As for adventurers, given how many die I just see them as an instrument to redistribute the treasure they find :)

This is a very good solution ... to a different problem.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
On inflation -

Inflation doesn't happen across an entire market unless a significantly high number of the population are suddenly more wealthy than they were and that population is distributed across a wide area. One group of characters with a lot of cash may directly impact their own prices if merchants got a whiff that they were new money and dumb about it; but for it to affect everyone in an area, they'd have to be really stupid, settle down in an area for a period of time and spend all of their money there.

On currency manipulation -

Before I comment on this I'd want to hear what [MENTION=55149]R_Chance[/MENTION] runs in to when he or she does that in his or her game. I know what it did to mine and what I needed to do to balance it. Not a fan, but that doesn't mean I did it well.

KB

This is a very good solution ... to a different problem.

I was speaking specifically to "hoards of gold". If you want to consider inflation you would need a lot more information than is typically available for fantasy setting. Such as, how much gold is their in circulation? It's difficult to predict any impact of quantitative inflation without knowing that. There are other sources of inflation of course (demand-pull, and cost-push for example). In which case we really need more information on the economy as a whole. That is pretty unlikely. The idea of treasure hoards leading to inflation is speculative. But fun :)

On inflation -

Inflation doesn't happen across an entire market unless a significantly high number of the population are suddenly more wealthy than they were and that population is distributed across a wide area. One group of characters with a lot of cash may directly impact their own prices if merchants got a whiff that they were new money and dumb about it; but for it to affect everyone in an area, they'd have to be really stupid, settle down in an area for a period of time and spend all of their money there.

Pretty much. Money only causes (quantitative) inflation if it's spent. If it just sits in a pile somewhere (whether with a dragon, a robber baron, or the local hero) it doesn't have any real effect. Major increases in individual wealth typically increase the individuals spending but not as much as the same wealth would spread across many people. Ordinary people spend a greater proportion of their (limited) individual wealth than the wealthy do of their (greater) wealth. It's why tax cuts for the wealthy do not have same immediate economic stimulus effect as a tax cut for the middle class. Tax cuts for the wealthy do produce more wealth for investment which can have an effect further down the road btw, but the direct stimulation of the economy from middle class spending wins the immediate effect contest.

As for the local economy in an area with adventurers, I have always assumed the prices in an area with a significant adventuring population already reflect the effects of the irregular injections of wealth into the area. In short the prices in the books are inflated :) Some quiet backwater where nothing adventurous happens would have lower prices. And probably be boring. And as for adventurers wealth some of it would be spent locally, but I suspect a lot would leave the area and go home with "retired" adventurers. Unlike PCs who are laser focused on adventure / advancement, a lot of NPCs would "strike it rich" and go home to enjoy the (relative) wealth. I still remember the look on my players faces when an NPC adventuring friend of theirs pulled the plug on her career as an adventurer after nearly dying and packed her bags for home. She had enough to be relatively wealthy "back home". And she would be alive to enjoy it. After they thought about it they decided it made sense in the context of the world / setting.

On currency manipulation -

Before I comment on this I'd want to hear what @R_Chance runs in to when he or she does that in his or her game. I know what it did to mine and what I needed to do to balance it. Not a fan, but that doesn't mean I did it well.

KB

I made the "switch" to silver while revamping my game for a new edition of the rules (3E iirc). There were a lot of changes going on and I simply translated the players wealth into silver and explained the reasoning and they were fine with it. The somewhat ludicrous piles of gold adventurers liberate tended to devalue the concept of gold as a valuable metal. It became, common... vulgar as it were. Silver was fine as a common monetary metal and it being common was easier to believe for my players. It also served to make copper valuable as means of making change. Copper was so negligible in value prior to this that my players never bothered to carry it. It wasn't worth it in either purchasing power or for experience points relative to the difficulty of carrying it home. I once used it (as a player) to weight down a body in the harbor I didn't want found right away. Best use I ever found for it :) The switch to silver as the standard currency also served to make gold more useful as a store of value relative to its weight. Gold was suddenly "cool" again. Players had been buying gems to transport their wealth. I introduced letters of credit (through merchant companies) as well, and suddenly you didn't need a huge pack train, or to dominate the gem market, to transport your ill gotten gains. Are they ever "well gotten" gains?

Remove ads

Remove ads