Dungeon of the Mad Mage Maps and Miscellany Review aka Rip Off.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Question for the peanut gallery:
If I buy the adventure on D&D Beyond, does it come with high-quality maps and cards that I can print out?
And how much does it cost?

I can't speak with absolute certainty about Dungeon of the Mad Mage, as I don't have it, but previous adventures in DDB have always included high res versions of all the maps and handouts in the books. For example, the map of Chult in TOA is 2213x2997. So if the maps and cards you are asking about are in the hard cover version, they should be available if you purchase it on DDB. In most cases, player versions of the maps are also available. The only exceptions are in cases when WOTC didn't provide them to DDB; as far as I know there aren't many such exceptions. (for example, to my knowledge all of the TOA maps include player versions)

jasper

Rotten DM
Did you not look at what it was you were purchasing before you bought it? This information wasn't hidden, though I do understand the frustration with the maps themselves as it is a high price point for what are just handouts.
DOH! Yes I did. If the map maker is getting a % cut of each sale, he needs to kiss the marketing person. One, I assumed since it was still August 6, 2018, the pictures were not the final product .
Two, here is the ad copy 'Hundreds of years ago, long before Waterdeep was built, Halaster Blackcloak carved a vast dungeon beneath Mount Waterdeep and stocked it with all manner of creatures from across the planes. Though it is likely impossible to map out the entirety of Halaster's domain, the maps contained herein lay out the bulk of this deadly dungeon and are certain to lead you through many hours of play." Notice STILL no mention of size.
Pictures 1,2,3 are just the cover page, back page. And AGAIN no size. Picture 4, They just opened the product and took a snapshot. AGAIN no size. Picture 5, Cover standing up, overlooking the two maps. AGAIN no size. Picture 6 of Joe Manga, Debby Wolf, and Eddy Lizard which are not showing the product.
YES IT WAS MY BEEPING MISTAKE. BUT I warning others not to make the same. But I had mad money at the time and needed to get over $50 to get free shipping. So I bought the same time I bought my wife some of her stuff.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't run 5e anymore so no. If they are moving back to more usable maps that is a good thing though, at least for referees like me.

Both Dragon Heist and the Dungeon have black and white, utilitarian maps that harken back to old school design. Some have complained about it, from the opposite viewpoint you have about the older AP maps. This amuses me to no end, because I am sick in the head.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Both Dragon Heist and the Dungeon have black and white, utilitarian maps that harken back to old school design. Some have complained about it, from the opposite viewpoint you have about the older AP maps. This amuses me to no end, because I am sick in the head.

If I was the type to buy RPG books for reading I would have no issues with the fancy maps with art and background colors and texture, etc. But when I print a map out all that stuff makes it less usable as I begin making notes and such over those background images and colors, etc. Usable beats pretty every single time for me. I suppose we will see what the market wants.

Two, here is the ad copy 'Hundreds of years ago, long before Waterdeep was built, Halaster Blackcloak carved a vast dungeon beneath Mount Waterdeep and stocked it with all manner of creatures from across the planes. Though it is likely impossible to map out the entirety of Halaster's domain, the maps contained herein lay out the bulk of this deadly. dungeon and are certain to lead you through many hours of play." Notice STILL no mention of size.
I appreciate the warning. The ad copy is deceptive. IMO, mainly because the maps in DoMM only detail about 15% of what has previously been detailed for the Undermountain, I don't see how anyone can claim that is the "bulk".

I will say I'm not surprised by what you describe. I have mixed feelings about it though because I'm working on releasing my own versions of the maps ;p

I've been so disappointed (much for the same reasons as you) with their recent maps that I've started a project to create and sell on the DMsGuild full color maps for Undermountain that also fully map all the levels and not just the portions that the DoMM maps portray.

I don't think that black & white or two-color maps are inherently more functional that multi or full-color maps are. It's all about the cartographer and the style they portray. What is it about color maps that you find less functional?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I appreciate the warning. The ad copy is deceptive. IMO, mainly because the maps in DoMM only detail about 15% of what has previously been detailed for the Undermountain, I don't see how anyone can claim that is the "bulk".

I will say I'm not surprised by what you describe. I have mixed feelings about it though because I'm working on releasing my own versions of the maps ;p

I've been so disappointed (much for the same reasons as you) with their recent maps that I've started a project to create and sell on the DMsGuild full color maps for Undermountain that also fully map all the levels and not just the portions that the DoMM maps portray.

I don't think that black & white or two-color maps are inherently more functional that multi or full-color maps are. It's all about the cartographer and the style they portray. What is it about color maps that you find less functional?

Too busy: my preference is for the old blue scale maps, very easy to use and get the lay of the land without anything getting in the way. Also, easier to copy. Love the maps in the recent products.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases