General question using MS Paint or similar (free) program for Dungeon Mapping

Oofta

Legend
I'd echo [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION] on paint.net so you can take advantage of layers when doing your maps. While I don't use it for maps, I do use it for NPCs, monsters and scenes. Sometimes I'll grab an image, manipulate it and just throw the image into a word document so I can show my players a page. PowerPoint would work too of course, but I never have an exact sequence I want to show.

Or for what you need, just having clearly labeled layers you can remove would work.

CapnZapp

Legend
Running Dungeon of the Mad Mage now. What I'm wanting to do is take the various map pages and import them into a basic graphic editor program like MS Paint or something similar, but set as a permanent background. I'll then fill up the image using black paint (except for Room 1), hook the computer up to the television in the room, and as the PCs are exploring, I'm wanting to "erase" the black fill covering up the rooms (without erasing the map underneath the fill), so the PCs can see the map unfold as they explore the dungeon. Trusting my PCs to RP properly regarding secret doors, so not too worried about that.

I'm not really very familiar with any of these programs, and was hoping if someone could help me out. Searching Google for setting a picture as a background seems to assume I'm importing a picture into Paint and trying to change a background for cropping purposes, so I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology.
What you want is called "layers".

MS Paint can't do layers.

I recommend the free and easy paint dot net: www.getpaint.net

lluewhyn

Explorer
Thanks all. Downloaded paint.net and it seems to be what I need. See my previous post including the image from what my PCs have explored so far from Level 1, which was done using the layers feature you all mentioned.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Or you can do this much easier with Roll20. You can import the maps and then just use the fog of war feature to reveal the maps as you go. You can run two instances of Chrome (one in Incognito mode) to show to your players if you wanted to use the GM layer to keep track of hidden stuff.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm glad I could help.

I've never actually done what you did, but you described your needs so clearly it was easy to answer your question. The other advice you're getting here is good, too, if you find yourself wanting to delve deeper into this tech.

CapnZapp

Legend
I've several times hooked up my laptop to my television, and used the layers of paint dot net to "scratch" away a layer of fog to reveal the various maps of ToA underneath.

This way, the eraser tool becomes a magic paint brush that instantly draws rooms and corridors in full color with all details.

Hard to beat that kind of presentation.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Hard to beat that kind of presentation.

I don't know, LOL, my new player was floored when I showed him the PowerPoint, revealing the dungeon and having shapes representing all the character and monsters. Oh, and when the Warlock cast burning hands, the triangle shape worked perfectly to show exactly which enemies were hit and ALL the players loved it. When the Cleric turned the undead, I was able to use the circle shape to know precisely which undead were within range. I am adding a default slide with "spell areas" on it for quickly cutting and pasting to the current adventure slide.

I used to use Photoshop and the layers on that worked well, too, but with Paint.net I was unable to find a way to move shapes for characters and monsters well. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please pass on the info so I can try it. I do like th fog of war "feel", which I haven't been able to get the same with PowerPoint yet (but I am working on it).

Anyway, I am glad Paint.Net is working for you, lluewhyn.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I don't know, LOL, my new player was floored when I showed him the PowerPoint, revealing the dungeon and having shapes representing all the character and monsters. Oh, and when the Warlock cast burning hands, the triangle shape worked perfectly to show exactly which enemies were hit and ALL the players loved it. When the Cleric turned the undead, I was able to use the circle shape to know precisely which undead were within range. I am adding a default slide with "spell areas" on it for quickly cutting and pasting to the current adventure slide.

I used to use Photoshop and the layers on that worked well, too, but with Paint.net I was unable to find a way to move shapes for characters and monsters well. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please pass on the info so I can try it. I do like th fog of war "feel", which I haven't been able to get the same with PowerPoint yet (but I am working on it).

Anyway, I am glad Paint.Net is working for you, lluewhyn.
Man, your player might pass out at what you can do with a free account on roll20 (FG is good, too, just no free option).

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Man, your player might pass out at what you can do with a free account on roll20 (FG is good, too, just no free option).

LOL he probably would! But I tried roll20 and it isn't worth the learning curve. I already know how to use PowerPoint to do just about everything I need it to. I have next week off, so I will probably put more time into roll20 to see if I can get it to do everything I want. We'll see. :)

Remove ads