D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'll give you three of those states.

....Well, all five are more Southern than Texas, but that's not saying much. That's like, "I'm a real New Englander! I'm from Pennsylvania!"

Heh... as if any of us who live in these six states really care that we are "New Englanders". The only New England thing that matters to us enough to warrant taking pride in it is the Patriots. Other than that... we just get all lumped together to get our land area up to the size of a normal state. ;)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Heh... as if any of us who live in these six states really care that we are "New Englanders". The only New England thing that matters to us enough to warrant taking pride in it is the Patriots. Other than that... we just get all lumped together to get our land area up to the size of a normal state. ;)

Also the chowder?

G

Guest 6801328

Wait, who is this "us" and "we"? Sorry, but MA, CT, and RI are not really part of New England any more. The only bits of MA that are still New England have small plaques in front of them and are surrounded by parking lots.

The other day I was explaining to my 5 year old that "Roman" means "somebody from Rome" just like "Coloradan" means "somebody from Colorado." He pondered that and asked, "What do you call somebody from Massachusetts?"

I chuckled and said, "Well, I tell you when you're older."

(Hint: I'm from Maine...)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have heard southerners (and by "Southerner" I include people as far north as Ohio, because the term is frequently used that far north), use "y'all" as both singular and plural, repeatedly enough that I can't call it accidental. I think it is just eliding to use "y'all" to mean "you", which is used in both singular and plural constructions.

I’ve witnessed that same thing within my family- we’re Louisianans, most currently living in Texas (myself included)- more than once. Often lampshaded, as in, “ What y’all ought to do- and by ‘y’all’, I mean “you”- is to go take care of that situation immediately.”

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Maine is just an LL Bean Outlet store surrounded by a sea of hunter's orange.

It's basically the South, if southerners said, "You can't there from here."

That's what I'm talking about! THAT'S New England.

(Except that it's not an outlet, it's the mother ship. Which you would know if you dared to cross the border.)

There's an old SNL skit about driving directions in New England. Hilarious.

"What's the quickest route from Providence, RI, to Dorchester, MA?"
"BZZZZZZ!"
"Yes?"
"Dorchestah? Why would you want to go theyah?"
"That is correct! There is no reason to go to Dorchester!"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Oh, Defcon, you root for the Patriots? Bless your heart!

Of course I don't "root" for the Patriots. To "root" for a sports team is to give all your positive energy to that team in the hopes that it will help that team finally succeed. But the Patriots have proven their vast superiority over every other professional football team these past 20 years, and thus my "rooting" for them is completely unnecessary.

I just get dragged along in the Patriots wake and take ultimate pleasure in watching every other team and sports fan get run over by them, and I can't help but smile as I look back over my shoulder at all the corpses being left behind. ;)

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Wait, who is this "us" and "we"? Sorry, but MA, CT, and RI are not really part of New England any more. The only bits of MA that are still New England have small plaques in front of them and are surrounded by parking lots.

The other day I was explaining to my 5 year old that "Roman" means "somebody from Rome" just like "Coloradan" means "somebody from Colorado." He pondered that and asked, "What do you call somebody from Massachusetts?"

I chuckled and said, "Well, I tell you when you're older."

(Hint: I'm from Maine...)

Massachusetts is to New England what Matthew Fox's character Charlie was to "Party of Five"... drunken, immature, irresponsible, and yet seemingly the one in charge. Whereas Maine is the Baby Owen of New England... no real reason to be there other than just as a possible story point for the other characters to have to deal with. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases