D&D General Solasta: Crown of the Magister D&D Video Game Coming To Kickstarter

This Summer, Tactical Adventures will be launching the Kickstarter for Solasta: Crown of the Magister, a video game based on the D&D rules. "Roll for initiative, take attacks of opportunity, manage player location and the verticality of the battle field in this upcoming Tactical RPG by Tactical Adventures. In Solasta, you make the choices, dice decide your destiny."

This Summer, Tactical Adventures will be launching the Kickstarter for Solasta: Crown of the Magister, a video game based on the D&D rules. "Roll for initiative, take attacks of opportunity, manage player location and the verticality of the battle field in this upcoming Tactical RPG by Tactical Adventures. In Solasta, you make the choices, dice decide your destiny."

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 01.11.16.png

French indie studio Tactical Adventures has announced Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

The game is planned for a Windows PC release (via Steam), and has a Kickstarter campaign set for sometime later this Summer.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a tactical, dungeon crawling RPG based on the 5th Edition ruleset where players control a band of four adventurers.

The game places a heavy emphasis on verticality and manipulating light to combat the creatures that lurk in the darkest corners of the tombs and caves you’ll be exploring. You can watch an animated teaser trailer above, and check out a dev diary below.

Roll for initiative, take attacks of opportunity, manage player location and the verticality of the battle field in this upcoming Tactical RPG by Tactical Adventures. In Solasta, you make the choices, dice decide your destiny.

Key Features:

• Verticality: Solasta is a three-dimensional world rather than a series of flat maps. Locations can be explored by climbing walls, flying, teleporting, crawling through tunnels, finding secret passages, or falling through unstable ground, and allow the player to use the environment to take on encounters in multiple different ways.
  • Team Based Adventure: Players will have many options to choose races, classes, backgrounds, and can even roll for stats as they create their party. All members are essential – together you will adventure through Solasta as a group, where you must work together in pursuit of your quest.
  • Tactical CRPG: Each encounter can be handled in multiple ways. Will you use the high ground to strike your enemies from above as a Darkweaver Rogue, or shove your enemies into deep chasms as a Mountaineer Fighter? Your choices alone will determine the destiny of your party.
  • Light: Light will not only help to see your surroundings as you explore deep underground or in a dungeon. It can also be used as a weapon against dragons and creatures you encounter along your journey. Careful, though – light can also give away your position.
  • Created by Tabletop Players: Tactical Adventures is a team of highly experienced Tabletop players and veteran game developers who are passionate about the genre, striving to create the best Tactical RPG videogame.
  • Kickstarter: Tactical Adventures is giving players the opportunity to be heard by joining the community and backing Solasta on Kickstarter. The campaign will feature an amazing tiered reward system and the team is already working on a demo of the game.
More info to be found here!

Abstruse

Legend
As far as a release window, my (somewhat educated but still a complete) guess based on what they've showed off so far (practically nothing from the game itself) and what they've said (Kickstarter this summer), I think they have a late pre-alpha or an alpha build. Which means they'll probably have a full alpha build by the end of this year, a closed beta build by next year where they'll start working on level design and assets, then open beta/early access/make-your-customers-do-your-QA-work-for-you period sometime around 2021/2022.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is they're saying it'll release on Steam and have a Steam page up, but there is a good chance Epic might come at them with the six figure signing bonus for an exclusive period on the Epic Store they've been courting a lot of indie developers with. And when you're closing in on release and your crowdfunding funds are running low, that quarter or half million extra gets really tempting to make sure you can actually finish the game properly before release.

.... because?

1) If Hasbro think they have overstepped and decide to take it to court, this could give them ammunition.

2) They may deviate significantly from standard D&D whilst still being based on the ruleset. You may be creating a false expectation.

3) It's a sign of respect for the developers to describe their product in their terms.

4) It shows your readers that this is in no way connected with WotC.

Which means this may be the first video game to bring back a trend. Back in the early 00s, a lot of video game companies used the OGL to base their games on the D20 System. Probably the most popular of these was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but a lot of other games did it too as it was easier than creating and balancing a numerical game system from scratch.

Although there is no official mention I think Bioware came to some kind of legal agreement with Hasbro. I think at one point it was due to be marketed as "Star Wars D20".

dbm

Savage!
Which means this may be the first video game to bring back a trend. Back in the early 00s, a lot of video game companies used the OGL to base their games on the D20 System. Probably the most popular of these was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but a lot of other games did it too as it was easier than creating and balancing a numerical game system from scratch.

When KOTOR was released the official Star Wars game was published by WotC and d20 based, so this wasn’t driven by the OGL.

You could make that argument for Jade Empire, perhaps, that was (as I understand it - didn’t play it myself) very much an evolution of KOTOR without the IP.

You could make that argument for Jade Empire, perhaps, that was (as I understand it - didn’t play it myself) very much an evolution of KOTOR without the IP.
Jade Empire used a combat system based on console martial arts fighting games. It was very unlike D&D.

The only way you could draw a D&D connection was the setting, which was somewhat similar to an Oriental Adventures campaign setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Well it should be interesting as I am fairly sure the OGL does not apply to video games. WOTC/Hasbro licenses those out separately and specifically so while I get the appeal in trying to tie it in to 5E I think it's some fairly shaky ground.

Remove ads

Remove ads