D&D 5E Celestial Warlocks?

Zardnaar

Legend
What are people's thoughts on the celestial warlock.

I have one and I built it for utility, tome lock, healer feat lots of cantrips, bonus action healing.

It's spells are not very exciting but for what I wanted it does very well. Damage is ok hex plus agonising blast. Weak at AoEs relative to the fiend.

Generally I like it, probably wouldn't play it again any time soon though.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
It can be a lot of fun. I built a Tabaxi Tomelock Celestial and playe it for 2 sessions before the near TPK and reset ... it was a lot of fun. It is all about the plethora of rituals.

Kurotowa

Legend
That's about my experience with it too. You spam EB, you throw Healing Light when people fall down, you've got a very small amount of utility or extra healing from your spell slots, and... that's it. It does an adequate job without much in the way of excitement or versatility. But that's 5e Warlocks no matter which way you build them.

The flavor's great; I went with a unicorn patron and my group loved that I was throwing around rainbow sparkle Eldritch Blasts. But the mechanics package just doesn't deliver that fun factor. So next session I'm retired that PC and substituting a Tempest Cleric.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What are people's thoughts on the celestial warlock.

I have one and I built it for utility, tome lock, healer feat lots of cantrips, bonus action healing.

It's spells are not very exciting but for what I wanted it does very well. Damage is ok hex plus agonising blast. Weak at AoEs relative to the fiend.

Generally I like it, probably wouldn't play it again any time soon though.

I've not played one but my take is that they are a great out of combat healing class while they will be best using in combat spells for control (especially once you are level 5+) instead of hex. Use their class feature for in combat healing and eldritch blast with agonizing blast after you've used hypnotic pattern (or fear). Use rituals and invocations for out of combat utility.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I tend to not enjoy playing characters who's primary ability is healing. However, for some people it's very much their jam. I love Warlocks, but not so much this Warlock. I'd love to hear about people doing something interesting with it though.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have a few rituals but not level 5 yet.

I'm not primarily focused on healing. Still took Eldritch blast plus agonising blast. Only took the healer feat due to party composition.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I have a few rituals but not level 5 yet.

I'm not primarily focused on healing. Still took Eldritch blast plus agonising blast. Only took the healer feat due to party composition.

IMO. Level 5 will help immensely. More rituals will help tremendously too.

Xeviat

Hero
I'm kind of tempted to play a Celestial Warlock with a Blade Pact as some kind of alternate holy avenger paladin.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm kind of tempted to play a Celestial Warlock with a Blade Pact as some kind of alternate holy avenger paladin.
The role playing potential of the Celestial Warlock intrigues me a whole lot more than the actual mechanics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases