FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

scythe0925

First Post
I believe I remember seeing this program at GenCon last year, and stating that I was transitioning to 5e. Now that this is a thing, I hope they will be at GenCon this year for me to see first hand (especially since I will be moving to CO soon). I will make sure to bring funds to purchase it on site if it is awesome :)

smiteworks

Explorer
I believe I remember seeing this program at GenCon last year, and stating that I was transitioning to 5e. Now that this is a thing, I hope they will be at GenCon this year for me to see first hand (especially since I will be moving to CO soon). I will make sure to bring funds to purchase it on site if it is awesome :)

We will be at Gen Con again this year and will most definitely have D&D up and running for people to play around with.

Reynard

Legend
I have been toying with the idea of using a VTT to run 5E since I do not have time to arrange another weekly RL game. What is the best way to give Fantasy grounds a try and see if it will serve my needs?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I wonder if this is the big announcement Perkins was talking about. It certainly sound like the "its goign to be something" he was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

famousringo

First Post
This isn't the right product for me.

But I take it as welcome news that WotC is working with third party software developers to license their IP. Perhaps the next licensed dev will have a product more to my liking.

smiteworks

Explorer
I have been toying with the idea of using a VTT to run 5E since I do not have time to arrange another weekly RL game. What is the best way to give Fantasy grounds a try and see if it will serve my needs?

There is a virtual convention launching soon (April 17-19) where you can play for free in a variety of games. You just need the demo license to join in. You might also lurk on the Fantasy Grounds forums and ask to sit in on a game to see how things play from the player side of the table.
link: http://www.fg-con.com

If you want to see it in full action as a DM, then the best option is probably to get a 1 month sub ($3.99) or Ultimate sub ($9.99) and pick up the D&D Basic Rules pack. From there you can decide if you want to pick up any others.

feldrol

First Post
[MENTION=6789257]Gecko85[/MENTION] : With one click you apply fog of war everywhere on the map. Then to remove it, you draw a rectangle or a freeform.
[MENTION=467]Reynard[/MENTION] : To see if this product is for you, sign on for an adventure at FGCon later this month. It is free and you will be able to play as a player. You will see how the programm runs for players.

RSKennan

Explorer
Reynard, I can also run a quick one on one with you using the demo license (which limits us to one player) and Skype. It would be cool to hang out with you again.

Remove ads

Remove ads