Microscope and Beyond

tglassy

Adventurer
It’s like picking a time period to build. Like if it were real life, we could pick the Dark Ages. It begins with the collapse of the Roman Empire, and it ends with the Renaissance. Once we have those settled, we can go in and determine the various periods. The Black Plague. The Reformation. So in and so forth.

Only we decide what happens. I don’t think we should decide where to play until we’ve created the world. There might be an area that really resonates with us. Or we might want to go forward and see what happens next.

I say the sun should go out first, because that gives us a very strange world to play in. What kind of civilizations might rise and fall in such a world? What adaptations would take place? It’s such a foreign concept to real life, it really tugs at my creative writing side.

We’d have to eventually decide what “turning the sun off” means, but not right now, I don’t think. Right now, we just decide on the beginning and the end. Which is why I say make it easy.

Before the beginning: pinnacle of human civilization, technology/magic.

Beginning: Sun goes out, insanity ensues.

Middle: the game.

End: Sun comes back. Insanity ensues as everyone was now used to no sun.

Heck, if we like it that much we could continue playing when we’re done and do the second age of the Sun. But for now, I’d really like to see what a Darkworld looks like.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Before the beginning: pinnacle of human civilization, technology/magic.

Beginning: Sun goes out, insanity ensues.

Middle: the game.

End: Sun comes back. Insanity ensues as everyone was now used to no sun.

I'm in for that. I have a pretty neat idea for WHY the sun is out, but I'll keep it to myself for now.

Shayuri

First Post
It might be kind of a fun twist if we make the sun come back, and it winds up being a huge disruption and almost as bad as the sun disappearing the first time was, hehe.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Right. A big part of Microscope seems to be keeping "in the moment" of the game, meaning don't be thinking about "when in the history will we play" or "this is why the sun went out". Those things should be kept close to the vest for possibly later and the focus is what is the beginning and the end of our history.

So we've had 2 presented:

1. Sun goes out is the beginning of history.
2. Sun goes out is the end of history.

Let's lock that in since it seems to be what we agree on (the sun going out). Then we can lock in the other.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Me too. Out is the Beginning (Though we will have to decide where things were at before that happened). And I think it Comes Back On should be the End of our History.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So that's 3 votes for Sun Goes Out as the beginning of our history. Where things were before is implied in our Big Picture: Civilization had reached a shining pinnacle of Art, Science, and Magic, but then a Stellar Event occurred, and now all the rules have changed.

Any other votes [MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION] and [MENTION=79926]ART![/MENTION]

Remove ads