The Ultimate Tabletop RPG Room Wish List

Talmek

Explorer
Hi EnWorld!

I'm looking for ideas to outfit my future RPG room and while Google images is nice I have found that I get better results from asking those who have similar mindsets (i.e. table top gamers). So here are the rules of the wish list *game* (not really a game - really looking for ideas!):

- Must be table-top RPG related
- Excluding furniture (no Sultan gaming tables or bookshelves)

Ready...GO!

P.S. Based on how this thread goes I will post pictures of suggestions that were implemented - thanks all!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm surprised you don't ask for furniture, as the right furniture is usually the first thing (or first several things) on any such wish list.

Anyway, some essentials for a fine gaming room:

- a good sound system, controllable from behind the DM screen (for background music and-or game sound effects)
- an in-room kitchenette or a very close-by kitchen (for fridge, sink, water, etc.)
- lots of open wallspace (as opposed to windows); you'll need this for shelves, posters, decorations, etc.
- as much soundproofing as you can manage, so you and your players can cut loose without annoying the neighbourhood
- enough available stationery to sink a pocket battleship: reams of paper, boxes of pens and pencils, paper clips, erasers, sticky notes, drafting materials (for mapping), etc., etc.
- a place for players to leave their character sheets and dice between games
- lighting that can be varied to suit: bright when things need to be read, dim or off (or candlelight) for atmosphere, and so on
- five wood blocks - take a 4x4 stud and cut five 10-inch pieces off it, these blocks are then stood on end in a large 'X' pattern on your gaming table
- a secondary table or board to put on said 5 blocks - this is where your minis and [whichever you use of battlemap/chalkboard/whiteboard] go, with all the other stuff (drinks, character sheets, dice, etc.) kept on the main, lower table (note that if you need the main table for other things during the week you can always remove the blocks and raised table)
- wifi access if your game info is online in part or in whole

Lan-"our 'wood blocks' are in fact some ugly dollar-store plant vases which, when flipped upside-down, vaguely resemble square castle towers"-efan

Gilladian

Adventurer
Other than really good furniture and comfortable chairs, I recommend a mini-fridge for game day beverages and snacks, lots of shelving as Lanefan suggested, and good, bright lighting. I know it can be a "mood killer" but when you're older, you care more about being able to read than to be in the mood.

I would love to go back to the setup I had in my old house - a computer and double monitor; one was on a swing-arm so I could reveal art to the players, or maps, etc... If you like mapping online - an overhead projector connected to the computer would be really neat.

Talmek

Explorer
I'm surprised you don't ask for furniture, as the right furniture is usually the first thing (or first several things) on any such wish list.

- a good sound system, controllable from behind the DM screen (for background music and-or game sound effects)
- an in-room kitchenette or a very close-by kitchen (for fridge, sink, water, etc.)
- lots of open wallspace (as opposed to windows); you'll need this for shelves, posters, decorations, etc.
- as much soundproofing as you can manage, so you and your players can cut loose without annoying the neighbourhood
- enough available stationery to sink a pocket battleship: reams of paper, boxes of pens and pencils, paper clips, erasers, sticky notes, drafting materials (for mapping), etc., etc.
- lighting that can be varied to suit: bright when things need to be read, dim or off (or candlelight) for atmosphere, and so on
- five wood blocks - take a 4x4 stud and cut five 10-inch pieces off it, these blocks are then stood on end in a large 'X' pattern on your gaming table
- a secondary table or board to put on said 5 blocks - this is where your minis and [whichever you use of battlemap/chalkboard/whiteboard] go, with all the other stuff (drinks, character sheets, dice, etc.) kept on the main, lower table (note that if you need the main table for other things during the week you can always remove the blocks and raised table)

Lan-"our 'wood blocks' are in fact some ugly dollar-store plant vases which, when flipped upside-down, vaguely resemble square castle towers"-efan

Thanks so far for the responses. My reasoning behind the "no furniture thing" is because we already have five 80"H x 18"W x 14"D bookshelves, an old dining room table that can seat 6 and chairs to match. Given all of this, I don't really have a need for new stuff to outfit a game room, which leads me to the "other stuff" category. I appreciate the ideas - I have a few new things to look into for my group's game room.

Talmek

Explorer

Hi all!

Just a quick update for my group's gaming room and where we are currently with the project -

Sound system - Check!
Fridge - Check!
Wall o'Bookshelves - Check!
Soundproofing - Sort of...we decided on using a detached two-car garage, which while addressing the initial concern of bothering anyone else with noise, brings about it's own challenges (namely pest control).
Stationery - I need to fix this. We have very little in the way of extra paper, etc.
Player Areas - The type of bookshelves I have include a small two shelf cabinet that allows each of my players storage space for their stuff
Table-on-a-Table - Check!

I am not sure how to get pictures posted of the semi-finished product but I wanted to take the opportunity to thank those of you who were able to help me in generating ideas for our game room.

So...Thanks! :)

aramis erak

Legend
For me, the ideal room has a comfortable round table with comfy chairs, soundproofed walls, air conditioning, and a kitchenette. Locking glassed in shelving is also desirable; I want to be able to find it, but don't want the group rifling through my books during session.

Talmek

Explorer
[MENTION=6779310]aramis erak[/MENTION] - With your group do you typically let your players go through books during the session? My group and I all agreed to keep the books available but not to actively look up rulings unless it was life/death circumstances. I do owe my players more comfortable chairs, but they have actually started bringing their own to leave at my place (which is also a win - saving money!)
[MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION] - Would you consider overhead fluorescent lighting to be acceptable (although not fitting for the setting, it does provide LOTS of light)?

aramis erak

Legend
[MENTION=6779310]aramis erak[/MENTION] - With your group do you typically let your players go through books during the session? My group and I all agreed to keep the books available but not to actively look up rulings unless it was life/death circumstances. I do owe my players more comfortable chairs, but they have actually started bringing their own to leave at my place (which is also a win - saving money!)

[MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION] - Would you consider overhead fluorescent lighting to be acceptable (although not fitting for the setting, it does provide LOTS of light)?

The problem isn't the books for the current game, it's the roughly 2000 book library with 200 other games.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) [MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION] - Would you consider overhead fluorescent lighting to be acceptable (although not fitting for the setting, it does provide LOTS of light)?

I'm very pragmatic/utilitarian: if it works then I wouldn't really care what it looks like! :)

Remove ads