best uses of awaken spell?

balmz

Villager
what would you say are some of the best and funniest uses of the awaken spell? One player i know used it on a platypus and then the platypus took levels in rogue as an undercover agent, it didn't end up doing much

so what uses have you seen done?

We had a PC in our Kingmaker campaign, a cavalier/bard. As a cavalier, he got a special horse (more HD, better stats, etc). We joked that the horse was more badass than he was and gave it the nickname "the Bloody". At a certain point, the player retooled his PC as a magus, though the concept remained the same (eg high Charisma, schemer, only evil PC in the group, etc).

My PC was a druid. At level 9 he cast Awaken on that horse. By this point we'd decided to nerf the horse into a normal horse. But not anymore. The horse rolled high Int but took levels in barbarian.

Most of the party was terrified if I were to cast Awaken again. Awaken basically charms the target, but if you cast it again the "charm" effect on the first target ends. They were right to be worried. At a higher level I cast it again, and "The Bloody" went on to take control of a horde of horses and would randomly wander our kingdom, killing at random. The PC best suited to stopping it, mine, didn't want to intervene. So long as it didn't break any trees, he couldn't care less.

In a related case, back in 2e, we misread the Giant Insect spell. My PC cast it on an earwig. It got as many HD as I had and did 1d4 damage per Hit Die. I was 15th-level. It never actually seemed to hit anything, though. The earwig was named "Itchy", of course.

Richards

Legend
In my Wing Three campaign we had a PC, Delphyne, whose parents were killed when she was 8 years old and she was raised from that point on by her maternal grandmother, who was a "witch," or wise-woman. (We just reskinned the wizard class.) They lived in a ramshackle hut they called "the Stick Palace," which was built like a tree fort in a big oak tree.

Years later, as an adventuring "witch" (wizard) herself, Delphyne returned to the Stick Palace of her youth upon the death of her grandmother, and another PC, a druid, awakened the oak tree. So Delphyne from that point on had an awakened, mobile tree holding up the Stick Palace as a home base capable of traveling.

Incidentally, I had the awakened tree announce that its name was "Coventry," since it had been the home of a gathering of two witches (and thus was a "coven tree").

Johnathan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Quoting myself from elsewhen...
Here's an interesting fact: Aspen Trees are a clonal species- they can spread by runners. One of the largest organisms on Earth is an Aspen grove in Utah’s Wasatch Mountains that has 41,000+ trunks.

That inspired this:

No Man's Land:

5000 years ago, a druid (whose name is lost to humanity...) of great power picked a large and remote island devoid of human life as his home, choosing a grove of aspen trees his most sacred space. At some point, he chose to cast Awaken upon one of the aspen...and the entire grove came to life! He had forgotten that Aspen spread by runners...the entire grove was actually one plant- and now it had a mind equal to his own. He trained it in the ways of the druids.

Eventually, death found the druid, but his greatest student lived on. Eventually, the Aspen grew enough in power that it began to experiment with Awaken itself. First, it made other Aspen and a few other mighty trees as self aware as it was, forming the Green Council, each a druid, cleric or mage in its own right. They, in time and in turn, granted awareness to some of the animals of the forest...bringing them into a society ruled by the Green Council, each day's food created by powerful magics.

As decades passed, the island became a great druidic haven, but still unknown to man.

1000 years ago, Man came...and he was not ready for what he found. The animals and trees welcomed those who resembled the one who had made their haven possible, but the ignorant sailors who found the island hunted for food for their journeys, and were driven back by the island inhabitants. The sailors returned to civilization to tell tales of the mysterious island to the East, where both animals and trees thought and fought as if men.

The Counci's research of the civilized world (directly and through its awakened, shapechanged agents) has brought them much information about the destructiveness of man...and also solutions as to how to fight back. Those shapechanged agents often lived lives among the so called civilized men, bringing their children, natural shapeshifters, back to the island. The Council did much the same.

Now, the island is inhabited by more than trees and awakened animals. Alongside them now live natural shapechangers and other curious hybrids of man and beast or beast and plant...all members of an insular society on the island.

And they are leery of Mankind's intent.

(In game terms, the island is inhabited by Awakened Trees of the Green Council (each with 20 levels of some combination of Druid, Cleric, Wizard or Sorcerer, some with Epic levels); Awakened animals (any class, Rangers and Druids most common); Anthropomorphic Animals (see WOTC's Savage Species); Shapeshifters (see WOTC's Eberron, but instead of being linked to Lycanthropes, they are linked to Druids); and Woodlings (see WOTC's Monster Manual III).

nijineko

Explorer
best use? maximized and empowered.

just don't use it on the constructs, or you'll have a fantasy "rise of the machines". ^^

i recall one player who made the mistake of spitting into a magical pool (the cheapskate didn't want to toss in copper) only to have it crawl back out and come after him... (over and over and over for the rest of the campaign ^^).

best use? maximized and empowered.
Hmm...

Step 1: Be a housecat statue.
Step 2: Have a maximized, empowered awaken cast on you.
Step 3: Gain an average Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma of 23.25.
Step 4: Be an Awakened Housecat Statue Druid.
Step 5: Gain levels.
Step 6: Army of Awakened Housecat Statue Druids.
Step 7: Ok, fine, some of you can be wizards and clerics. And, ok, rogues, fighters, rangers...Paladins? Wait, what about our army?
Step 8: Realize you're trying to herd cats.
Step 9: Find sunbeam.

Someone make this happen in a campaign. :)

nijineko

Explorer
i would think with an int and wis in the range postulated, said individual would skip steps 6 through 8 in advance, possibly step 5 or 4 as well depending on personal perspective.

after all, aren't most cats you've seen already at step 9.... hmmmm, that might be a little scary, actually.

i would think with an int and wis in the range postulated, said individual would skip steps 6 through 8 in advance, possibly step 5 or 4 as well depending on personal perspective.

after all, aren't most cats you've seen already at step 9.... hmmmm, that might be a little scary, actually.
I was probably at least partially inspired by Krosp.

MarkB

Legend
I was runner-up in a competiion on the WotC forums to write up a Dread Pirate character. There was a druid pirate captain who was essentially an eco-terrorist, preying primarily upon bound-elemental ships for their unnatural taming of elemental forces, and he had a general hatred for arcane magic.

He also had a pet parrot, Polyfex, who he eventually Awakened to serve his cause. However, Polyfex didn't share his master's attitude to either magic or the natural world, and secretly studied the arcane arts using tomes taken in raids upon other ships.

Eventually the parrot, now a full-fledged Necromancer, turned the crew against the druid and led a mutiny. Druid and parrot battled in a terrible duel of magic, and though Polyfex lost a leg, he slew his former master and took the ship.

Now the Dread Parrot Polyfex is one of the most feared pirates on the ocean. Wearing a hook in place of his lost leg, he raids ships at whim and zombifies their officers to supplement his crew, riding their dead captain as his personal perch.

Remove ads