Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=61095]Bravesword[/MENTION] It's also very possible that DM's Guild hasn't defined some of the art parameters yet.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with with your story ideas for Zakhara.

There are basically three design goals with the project I've begun:

1) Character rules allowing creation of all of the old Al-Qadim archetypes

2) Update of the setting given 100 year jump in FR

3) Tools for the DM

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's a tentative cover, layout, and table of contents for the Adventurer's Guide to Zakhara.

Red text hasn't been written yet. Black text has.

Attachments

• Zakhara Adventurer's Guide - TOC.pdf
    966.7 KB · Views: 815
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 12.13.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 12.13.56 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 514

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
If the Clockwork Mage is still up for grabs, I'd like to take a stab at it. I'm looking to do so for my campaign anyway, and I could definitely use more eyes on it and better feedback.

Quickleaf

Legend
If the Clockwork Mage is still up for grabs, I'd like to take a stab at it. I'm looking to do so for my campaign anyway, and I could definitely use more eyes on it and better feedback.

Yes! That was one that I wasn't too keen on converting, so you're welcome to go for it, and I'll provide another set of eyes.

As an aside [MENTION=61095]Bravesword[/MENTION], or anyone else with US copyright law knowledge, in producing an e-book can there be multiple copyright holders to different portions of text? For example, say [MENTION=6789613]MessiahMushroom[/MENTION] does the Ghul Lord and [MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION] does the Clockwork Mage and I do the Mamluk Officer...can we each hold copyright to our respective portions of the text? If so, what is the correct legal boilerplate to use?

Would something like this work...?

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, Wizards of the Coast, Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim, the dragon ampersand, and all other Wizards of the Coast product names, and their respective logos are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast in the USA and other countries.

This work contains material that is copyright Wizards of the Coast and/or other authors. Such material is used with permission under the Community Content Agreement for Dungeon Masters Guild.

The following original material in this work is copyright 2016 by the listed author and published under the Community Content Agreement for Dungeon Masters Guild:
Real name "MushroomMessiah" Ghul Lord
Real name "Ath-kethin" Clockwordk Mage
Real name "Quickleaf" Mamluk Officer

Quickleaf

Legend
Magic Items

Here's a PDF of the magic item conversions I did mostly from the Lands of Fate boxed set. The slippers of dune walking I made up. I also expanded the tables for the genie prison. And I reinterpreted the "sword +2, +3 vs. genie type" into five separate weapons unique to facing dao, djinn, efreet, ghul, and marid, with the basic idea being that the weapons can exacerbate that genie's type innate flaw for a time. Let me know what you think about them?

Also, let me know if there are other sources you'd recommend I convert over?

Attachments

• AQ Magic Items.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 493
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 10.33.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 10.33.25 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 526
Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I like the formatting and the approach in general.

A couple of things I noticed:

The description of the sword of the believer seems a little wordy. Perhaps revise as "This sword provides a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls against Unenlightened creatures. If used against an Enlightened creature, the blade passes harmlessly through their body."

For the weapons vs. genies:

1) Does the rhythm of the weapon names work better if you add a "the" in front of the genie type? weapon of the dao's doom, weapon of the djinn's judgement," etc.
2) Why add the ghul? It seems an odd pairing, given how much hatred exists between the genies and the ghuls. The alliteration in the name is great though

Please please please check your spelling.

You have multiple instances of "through" being spelled "thru."

In the chart under the telescope of fantastic visions, #2 should read "Wondrous creatures soar through the sky or gallop across the horizon in the distance." #3 should read "A threshold appears as a planar portal."

Last edited:

Bravesword

First Post
@Quickleaf, in my perspective the authors could have an agreement between them, establishing rights and obligations under the product to be developed. In this respect, the authors who should prepare the document would agree among them the portions/division of the copyright to be paid for each one, based upon their portion of the material developed, or other commercial agreement negotiated among themselves. I could prepare a draft of such document, but I suggest that these definitions should be discussed privately, as per their intellectual efforts in the project and the way that the copyrights shall be paid among them. There are also other implications to be considered (mainly of tax nature) for everyone that shall receive any revenue due to these royalties, but in this case each jurisdiction/tax residence/country should be considered with a proper legal counsel (I am only familiar with general concepts of Brazilian taxation, and even in this case this is not my specific area of knowledge).

I shall draft a document and discuss with the people that shall embrace the project. Next week it shall be a Carnival Holiday here in Brazil, and I shall be more available to dedicate more to the creative (and legal) matters of this project!

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION] Thanks for the editing! I didn't expect anyone to jump on the editing until it was further along, so your critique is much appreciated :) I made all the changes you recommended.

For the weapons vs. genies:

2) Why add the ghul? It seems an odd pairing, given how much hatred exists between the genies and the ghuls. The alliteration in the name is great though
I see. So you're envisioning that some enemy of the genies made these weapons, so logically that creator wouldn't want to make a weapon vs. ghuls since "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

That's certainly one way to imagine the story of how these weapons came to be. But it's also certainly not the only story we could imagine.

My thinking was more along the lines of: Hey, players in AQ go up against ghuls just as much as other genies. Shouldn't there be a weapon specially suited to fighting ghuls? To be fair, I considered jann as well, but they usually aren't adversaries...I suppose I could remedy that...

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok as per [MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION]'s recommendation, I sent an email to Karl Waller, the artist who did the fantastic black and white illustrations in the Al-Qadim products, to boldly ask if he'd like to donate a piece of art. Such a weird feeling mailing an artist who had a big influence on my imagination as a boy. Keeping my fingers crossed!

You can see an early working PDF of the Adventurer's Guide to Zakhara here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z7ZsrO9VLBMGRiYllFNnVtWlU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Remove ads