Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker Trailer

hawkeyefan

Legend
I always thought the name of the moon was Endor, not the name of the planet. I don't know that the planet was ever named in the movie. I think maybe in one of the novels or comics, but those no longer count.

I don't see why it couldn't have an ocean, other than that it breaks from traditional Star Wars tropes of each planet being primarily one type of environment....a desert planet, a city planet, an ice planet, and so on. Obviously, the single environment planets are silly when you give it any thought, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that. If it's not the moon of Endor, then I don't see why a large chunk of the Death Star couldn't have been propelled from the explosion and wound up landing on another system.

But I think that it's definitely the Death Star wreckage; the location of Palpatine's death, combined with his laughter as voice over, with Luke saying "no one's ever really gone....." makes it a pretty sure thing to me.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I always thought the name of the moon was Endor, not the name of the planet. I don't know that the planet was ever named in the movie. I think maybe in one of the novels or comics, but those no longer count.

I don't see why it couldn't have an ocean, other than that it breaks from traditional Star Wars tropes of each planet being primarily one type of environment....a desert planet, a city planet, an ice planet, and so on. Obviously, the single environment planets are silly when you give it any thought, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that. If it's not the moon of Endor, then I don't see why a large chunk of the Death Star couldn't have been propelled from the explosion and wound up landing on another system.

But I think that it's definitely the Death Star wreckage; the location of Palpatine's death, combined with his laughter as voice over, with Luke saying "no one's ever really gone....." makes it a pretty sure thing to me.

Endor is a forested moon in the Star Wars universe. The moon was the site of a pivotal battle depicted in Return of the Jedi.

In a Star Wars Tales comic entitled Apocalypse Endor, an Imperial veteran of Endor refers to the moon being devastated by the impact of falling debris from the Death Star, which was blown up while in orbit around the moon. However, another character dismisses this as a myth, saying that most of the Death Star's mass was obliterated in the explosion, and that the Rebels "took care of the rest."

There also seems to be some debate on what happened to the planet Endor orbited. Like that it disappeared or was destroyed or is called Tana, or is maybe a gas giant.

MarkB

Legend
On the Death Star item, it seems everyone is saying it is the Death Star, but seems quite small to me. Curvature on the size of the Death Star Would be several times on the order of that...but then...who pays attention to the size of things in the OT anymore?

If it was a piece of it (but not the outer portion), why does it have a triangular backside?
I've gone back and looked, and I can't see a triangular anything, nor any back side to it - we only see it from the front.

It's tough to judge scale, but it's pretty far away, practically on the horizon across a large gap of water. It doesn't appear egregiously mis-scaled.

Still, it would be interesting if it landed on ENDOR rather than it's moon. Does the moon even have oceans?

A piece of the Death Star that large, falling from orbit, is going to create a massive crater. Massive crater plus a couple of decades of rainfall will get you a decent sized sea, on either Endor or Yavin IV.

Mercurius

Legend
A piece of the Death Star that large, falling from orbit, is going to create a massive crater. Massive crater plus a couple of decades of rainfall will get you a decent sized sea, on either Endor or Yavin IV.

Except for the fact that the Death Star would have been completely pulverized on impact, leaving virtually no trace of it - let alone a rather intact chunk, like we see in the trailer.

I'm not disagreeing with the possibility of a sea existing, mind you, or even taking issue with the chunk of Death Star existing. It just seems silly to provide scientific, logical rationale for something (the existence of the sea) in an already inherently improbable scenario (the chunk of Death Star remaining intact).

Star Wars is, in the end, at least as much fantasy as it is science fiction. This isn't Star Trek.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Star Wars is, in the end, at least as much fantasy as it is science fiction. This isn't Star Trek.

Star Trek isn’t exactly a gold standard of hard sci fi either (particularly with JJ Abrams’s fanciful sense of time and space). They just set their style dials slightly differently. Both franchises put the needs of the plot, style, and cool visuals before science.

Mercurius

Legend
Star Trek isn’t exactly a gold standard of hard sci fi either (particularly with JJ Abrams’s fanciful sense of time and space). They just set their style dials slightly differently. Both franchises put the needs of the plot, style, and cool visuals before science.

I hear what you're saying, but it is a matter of degree. Relative to Star Wars, Trek is harder science fiction, and far more rationalized, especially Next Gen in which each episode seemed to be the fictionalization of some aspect of theoretical physics. The reason why so many were pissed at the whole midichlorian explanation is that it turned the Force from a mystical (and magical) energy to something physical and scientific. You don't need to rationalize or explain the fantastic - it just needs to make sense within the context of the world. But SF has to make sense sense within our own laws of physics. In that sense, Trek is far more "pure" scifi than SW.

Am I alone in thinking that this trailer wasn't very exciting? There weren't a whole lot of surprises in it. Almost everyone expected Lando to return, and the emperor has returned before in expanded universe stuff. I hate to say it, but I didn't get hyped as much as when I saw the trailers of the previous two movies. It was a bit meh.

Zardnaar

Legend
Am I alone in thinking that this trailer wasn't very exciting? There weren't a whole lot of surprises in it. Almost everyone expected Lando to return, and the emperor has returned before in expanded universe stuff. I hate to say it, but I didn't get hyped as much as when I saw the trailers of the previous two movies. It was a bit meh.

Good but not mind blowing. Does make me want to see episode IX though, the quality will determine how often.

Paul Goldstone

First Post
In the fiction Darth Plagueis was of the belief he had conquered Death and was more or less celebrating the fact when Darth Sideous poisoned him. Snoke (awful terrible dreadful name) could have been Darth Plagueis reincarnated, and his death in The Last Jedi (shocking film) could have been some crazy sith test of layalty - having been killed by his apprentice previously and all that.

There is also the possibility (from the fiction) that Darth Sideous had conquered time and space, which he believed was they way to defeat death. He may have been able to manipulate the dark side to move him to a different time peiod, and be back and bad.

Rey could be another "Anakin" style child, or perhaps clone of Luke Skywalker - perhaps from his lost hand, which is why she has memories and the connection to Luke Skywalker.

In any case it can't be worse than TLJ which really lost it's way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Keep TLJ arguments to their own thread, please. We are *not* going to hijack every thread into TLJ diatribes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases