That Full D&D Renault Commercial Is Here And It Features Tiamat And Venger!

I don't know who owns the IP for the old D&D cartoon characters, but they're using WotC's dragon designs for Tiamat's heads. I wonder if there's any copyright violation going on in this ad?

I don't know who owns the IP for the old D&D cartoon characters, but they're using WotC's dragon designs for Tiamat's heads. I wonder if there's any copyright violation going on in this ad?

I thought Terry Pratchett was writing funny books, is there really a great story ? Which arc?

Pratchett's novels are humorous, but they aren't just jokes. They are frequently inciteful and philosophical. Carrot Ironfounderson features in the sequence that begins with Guards! Guards!

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
People saying the show “finally gets an ending” l, there was a final episode script that never got produced. The kids “defeat” Venger and have the option to go home but it’s implied they stay to have more adventures. Someone did a fan animation of it on YouTube. It’s called “Requiem”.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I thought Terry Pratchett was writing funny books, is there really a great story ? Which arc?

It's a very long series. Over time, Pratchett goes from writing funny books, to writing great story arcs. By the end, it's all pretty amazing stuff, worthy of your best fantasy series story arcs. Not as many people have read those because there are so many books, and the first dozen or so are mostly funny books. In fact some would say it doesn't really approach that part of the series until the first TWO dozen books are done or so. But yes, the Witches part of the series, and the City Guard part of the series, become pretty amazing storytelling. So does Tiffany Aching, Death (or at least the Susan Sto Helit part of Death), and Moist von Lipwig.

Rincewind is probably the least serious of the books, despite starting with him.

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

GoT also draws heavily on real history, including the Wars of the Roses, which where won by Henry Tudor, someone whose only claim to the crown was that his mother had once been married to a king. He wasn't called out on his lack of legitimacy simply because the nobility felt he was the best person for the job.

Henry's mother Margaret Beaufort married, in order (1) Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond, (2) Sir Henry Stafford, and (3) Sir Thomas Stanley (later Earl of Derby). She quite definitely never married a King of England. Henry's grandmother (paternal), Katherine of Valois, had been previously married to Henry V before she married Owen Tudor, but that's not where Henry VII got his claim to the throne. His claim to the throne came through his mother, who, as the great-granddaughter of John of Gaunt (the third surviving son of Edward III), had become the heiress to the Lancastrian claim to the throne after the deaths of Henry VI and his son, a claim which she ceded to her son. The main problem is that the Beaufort family was of doubtful legitimacy; the original members had been born illegitimate, had been legitimized by act of Parliament (which included the ability to inherit the throne), then had the ability to claim the throne removed by Henry IV, and the debate on the matter was whether the king could override an act of Parliament in this way.

tl,dr: Henry VII and his mother had a real claim to the throne from their decent from John of Gaunt and Edward III, not through Katherne of Valois' marriages to Henry V and Owen Tudor.

(And also because, after decades of civil war and innumerable executions/murders, there was pretty much nobody else left with a decent claim, other than Elizabeth of York, whom Henry VII promptly married).

Mercador

Adventurer
Pratchett's novels are humorous, but they aren't just jokes. They are frequently inciteful and philosophical. Carrot Ironfounderson features in the sequence that begins with Guards! Guards!

It's a very long series. Over time, Pratchett goes from writing funny books, to writing great story arcs. By the end, it's all pretty amazing stuff, worthy of your best fantasy series story arcs. Not as many people have read those because there are so many books, and the first dozen or so are mostly funny books. In fact some would say it doesn't really approach that part of the series until the first TWO dozen books are done or so. But yes, the Witches part of the series, and the City Guard part of the series, become pretty amazing storytelling. So does Tiffany Aching, Death (or at least the Susan Sto Helit part of Death), and Moist von Lipwig.

Rincewind is probably the least serious of the books, despite starting with him.

Thank you both. I've only read the first two and following to the reading order, I shouldn't even read those two according to the author himself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Discworld_Reading_Order_Guide_3.0_(cropped).jpg

If it wasn't that expensive in French, I would buy them all.

Remove ads

Remove ads