D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Mirtek

Hero
But critics fo make a difference, in ways that studios can quantify and measure: that's why they care.
Sometimes they do,sometimes they don't. There are plenty of trashy movies reviled by critics but huge hits with the masses at the box office and there are movies praised by critics who critically failed at the box office.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sometimes they do,sometimes they don't. There are plenty of trashy movies reviled by critics but huge hits with the masses at the box office and there are movies praised by critics who critically failed at the box office.

Transformers, for example.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, they always make a difference, they just don't make or break a movie: as I said earlier, the general rule of thumb is that a movie has a base X appeal, that critics can raise or lower by ~10%.

For example, let's say that two movies, Punchman V. Spacedude and Awesome Lady, each have a base potential of ~$300 million. PVS gets critically lambasted and makes $270 million, whereas AL gets rave reviews and earns $330 million. This is what film studios have observed and what they base decisions on. That's why studios try to make movies that will be popular and critically acclaimed, and why heads will roll over movies that made a lot of money, but failed to meet the projected numbers. Transformers 3 made a ton of money, but could have made more.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Transformers, for example.
Transformers is "critic proof," but studios have long understood that to mean that critics won't entirely prevent people from coming, but they can get more people to show up. The Avengers blatantly borrows from Transformers 3, was critically praised, and made more money.

Yep, most critics exist to help niche, artsy-fartsy, elitist movies win the annual awards. A few select "common man" critics are out there to like the type of movies that average people would enjoy who act as influencers to get people to go to the big budget blockbusters. And sometimes you get the rare movies that both types of critics love, like The Last Jedi. I would have to look back at the past few decades of Best Picture Oscar nominations just to find a year where more than one of the five nominees was something I actually saw and enjoyed.

But on the topic of the movie, I would love a D&D version of the plot from Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven.

Kaodi

Hero
I have an idea that builds on some of the stuff I said here (not the alternate world stuff) and uses an idea for a villain I had years ago but I do not have time to type it up here because I am finally going to see The Last Jedi.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, most critics exist to help niche, artsy-fartsy, elitist movies win the annual awards. A few select "common man" critics are out there to like the type of movies that average people would enjoy who act as influencers to get people to go to the big budget blockbusters. And sometimes you get the rare movies that both types of critics love, like The Last Jedi. I would have to look back at the past few decades of Best Picture Oscar nominations just to find a year where more than one of the five nominees was something I actually saw and enjoyed.

But on the topic of the movie, I would love a D&D version of the plot from Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven.
What I get from this post is that you don't really care for movies that much...?

oknazevad

Explorer
Okay, let's factor that in and take a look at some highlights of their fails.

Justice League, a B+, is doing quite well. Murder on the Orient Express, another B, has made back its budget multiple times already. Star Trek Beyond, an A-, was a flop; it failed to break even. Ferdinand, which is ranked A, is on its way to being another flop.

I could go on and on and on. Example after example after example of where they were not only wrong, even based on what you say, but sometimes hilariously so.

Even adjusting for the value of Bs, it does not change the fact they have too big of an inaccuracy ratio to justify that their data is actually statistically representative. Because it's not even remotely close to statistically representative. They're only collecting data for the first night of the box office run, not the entire run to get a true representative sample size.

In short, they keep getting wrong answers because they are not practicing true science, but are instead using a stunted version of a real data collection method and relying on a massively incomplete data set to reach their rankings. They are practicing junk science.

Again, they are not accurate to actual performance on too many movies to have relevance to any discussion, scientific or otherwise, of how a movie will perform.

Um, Justice League has actually been written off as a financial loss. There's multiple in depth analyses as to how, despite apparently grossing OK (though not great) it actually lost money because of additional marketing costs. It. Was a very expensive film to make, and a really expensive film to market, and only OK in box office results. By most estimates it would need to gross another $100-110 million dollars to break even, which is unlikely at this point. WB has already begun making personnel changes in the exec suite as fallout.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Um, Justice League has actually been written off as a financial loss. There's multiple in depth analyses as to how, despite apparently grossing OK (though not great) it actually lost money because of additional marketing costs. It. Was a very expensive film to make, and a really expensive film to market, and only OK in box office results. By most estimates it would need to gross another $100-110 million dollars to break even, which is unlikely at this point. WB has already begun making personnel changes in the exec suite as fallout.

Another $100 million on top of $647 million?

Remove ads

Remove ads