RPG Evolution: Do We Still Need "Race" in D&D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "race" is a staple of fantasy that is now out of sync with modern usage. With Pathfinder shifting from "race" to "ancestry" in its latest edition, it raises the question: should fantasy games still use it?

DNDSpecies.gif

“Race” and Modern Parlance

We previously discussed the challenges of representing real-life cultures in a fantasy world, with African and Asian countries being just two examples. The discussion becomes more complicated with fantasy "races"—historically, race was believed to be determined by the geographic arrangement of populations. Fantasy gaming, which has its roots in fantasy literature, still uses the term “race” this way.

Co-creator of D&D Gary Gygax cited R.E. Howard's Conan series as an influence on D&D, which combines Lovecraftian elements with sword and sorcery. Howard's perceptions may have been a sign of the times he lived in, but it seems likely they influenced his stories. Robert B. Marks explains just how these stereotypes manifested in Conan's world:
The young, vibrant civilizations of the Hyborian Age, like Aquilonia and Nemedia, are white - the equivalent of Medieval Europe. Around them are older Asiatic civilizations like Stygia and Vendhya, ancient, decrepit, and living on borrowed time. To the northwest and the south are the barbarian lands - but only Asgard and Vanaheim are in any way Viking. The Black Kingdoms are filled with tribesmen evoking the early 20th century vision of darkest Africa, and the Cimmerians and Picts are a strange cross between the ancient Celts and Native Americans - and it is very clear that the barbarians and savages, and not any of the civilized people or races, will be the last ones standing.
Which leads us to the other major fantasy influence, author J.R.R. Tolkien. David M. Perry explains in an interview with Helen Young:
In Middle Earth, unlike reality, race is objectively real rather than socially constructed. There are species (elves, men, dwarves, etc.), but within those species there are races that conform to 19th-century race theory, in that their physical attributes (hair color, etc.) are associated with non-physical attributes that are both personal and cultural. There is also an explicit racial hierarchy which is, again, real in the world of the story.
The Angry GM elaborates on why race and culture were blended in Tolkien's works:
The thing is, in the Tolkienverse, at least, in the Lord of the Rings version of the Tolkienverse (because I can’t speak for what happened in the Cinnabon or whatever that other book was called), the races were all very insular and isolated. They didn’t deal with one another. Race and culture went hand in hand. If you were a wood elf, you were raised by wood elves and lived a thoroughly wood elf lifestyle until that whole One Ring issue made you hang out with humans and dwarves and halflings. That isolation was constantly thrust into the spotlight. Hell, it was a major issue in The Hobbit.
Given the prominence of race in fantasy, it's not surprising that D&D has continued the trend. That trend now seems out of sync with modern parlance; in 1951, the United Nations officially declared that the differences among humans were "insignificant in relation to the anthropological sameness among the peoples who are the human race."

“Race” and Game Design

Chris Van Dyke's essay on race back in 2008 explains how pervasive "race" is in D&D:
Anyone who has played D&D has spent a lot of time talking about race – “Racial Attributes,” “Racial Restrictions,” “Racial Bonuses.” Everyone knows that different races don’t get along – thanks to Tolkien, Dwarves and Elves tend to distrust each other, and even non-gamers know that Orcs and Goblins are, by their very nature, evil creatures. Race is one of the most important aspects of any fantasy role-playing game, and the belief that there are certain inherent genetic and social distinctions between different races is built into every level of most (if not all) Fantasy Role-Playing Games.
Racial characteristics in D&D have changed over time. Basic Dungeons & Dragons didn't distinguish between race and class for non-humans, such that one played a dwarf, elf, or halfling -- or a human fighter or cleric. The characteristics of race were so tightly intertwined that race and profession were considered one.

In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the changes became more nuanced, but not without some downsides on character advancement, particularly in allowing “demihumans” to multiclass but with level limits preventing them from exceeding humanity, who had unlimited potential (but could only dual-class).

With Fifth Edition, ability penalties and level caps have been removed, but racial bonuses and proficiencies still apply. The Angry GM explains why this is a problem:
In 5E, you choose a race and a class, but you also choose a background. And the background represents your formative education and socio-economic standing and all that other stuff that basically represents the environment in which you were raised. The racial abilities still haven’t changed even though there is now a really good place for “cultural racial abilities” to live. So, here’s where the oddity arises. An elf urchin will automatically be proficient with a longsword and longbow, two weapons that requires years of training to even become remotely talent with, but a human soldier does not get any automatic martial training. Obviously, in both cases, class will modify that. But in the life of your character, race happens first, then background, and only later on do you end up a member of a class. It’s very quirky.
Perhaps this is why Pathfinder decided to take a different approach to race by shifting to the term “ancestry”:
Beyond the narrative, there are many things that have changed, but mostly in the details of how the game works. You still pick a race, even though it is now called your ancestry. You still decide on your class—the rulebook includes all of the core classes from the First Edition Core Rulebook, plus the alchemist. You still select feats, but these now come from a greater variety of sources, such as your ancestry, your class, and your skills.
"Ancestry" is not just a replacement for the word “race.” It’s a fluid term that requires the player to make choices at character creation and as the character advances. This gives an opportunity to express human ethnicities in game terms, including half-elves and half-orcs, without forcing the “subrace” construct.

The Last Race

It seems likely that, from both a modern parlance and game design perspective, “race” as it is used today will fall out of favor in fantasy games. It’s just going to take time. Indigo Boock sums up the challenge:
Fantasy is a doubled edged sword. Every human culture has some form of fantasy, we all have some sort of immortal ethereal realm where our elven creatures dwell. There’s always this realm that transcends culture. Tolkien said, distinct from science fiction (which looks to the future), fantasy is to feel like one with the entire universe. Fantasy is real, deep human yearning. We look to it as escapism, whether we play D&D, or Skyrim, or you are like myself and write fantasy. There are unfortunately some old cultural tropes that need to be discarded, and it can be frustratingly slow to see those things phased out.
Here's hoping other role-playing games will follow Pathfinder's lead in how treats its fantasy people in future editions.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Again, I have no difficulty talking about race. I've been readily engaged in that. You want to have an open and honest discussion about race, fine. I have no issue with this conversation per se, only its conclusions. Disagreeing with your conclusions is not the same as having an issue discussing it, nor am I in the slightest pretending racism doesn't exist. What you are doing now is called evasion.

This is something I notice a lot lately. Its the idea I run into that if I don't agree with a position I didn't listen to the person giving it. There was a thread on here where a publisher was called out for not listening to the concerns of some people about the behavior of their staff, I think it was The FGG. Anyway the title was that the company would not listen to their concerns when in fact they did listen but just came to a different conclusion. I guess the reasoning is that if you listened you would have no choice but to come to the same conclusion since that position is considered objectively right.

Celebrim

Legend
Glad to see we're really stretching the old cognitive muscles here.

Pot calling the kettle black. You contradicted me without even the courage to offer your own operative definition of racism. The burden of evidence was on you, not me.

Accusing people of inquiring (not questioning, just inquiring) as to the racial backgrounds of people engaged in the discussion, is not the way to work towards that.

Yes, it is. If we are going to have an honest discussion about race, we have to call out racism. Quite often you might have racist impulses that you aren't actually aware of, and it's helpful to this discussion to get people to question there assumptions. I'm willing to bet that we agree, and that you just disagree over who needs to reflect. However, you've tacitly agreed that the problem isn't my definition of racism, when you agreed that my "fantasy world" wouldn't have racism. So we aren't actually quibbling about that despite your indignation, we are only quibbling over how to get there from here.

You certainly are not.

Then don't accuse me of it.

But I also see you snipped the relevant section of my post. So I'll repeat it: "...and recognizing that, and addressing how it actually affects and impacts people of different races, does not make anyone racist."

The sentence I didn't believe added much to the conversation, and to be honest I don't even recall snipping it. Is it possible you added it when you amended your post? But ok, if you want to address that, again, the fact of the matter is I never said that I had a problem with recognizing that the world is racist and addressing how it actually affects and impacts people. What I said was that if you feel the need to inquire as to the race of a person on the internet then you are racist, so once again you are just engaged in dishonest deflecting. You can disagree with my claim if you like, but so far you've instead chosen to be highly dishonest about what I actually said.

You are, in fact, saying this.

No, as a matter of actual fact, I'm saying this: "What I said is that you have to know the race of the person you are talking to because its that relevant to you, then it's racism."

I did not say:

You are saying that stating, or even suggesting, that a white individual cannot possibly begin the understand the impact that racism has on non-white people in a white-dominated society (or in this case, a white-dominated hobby), is racist. I'm saying that is baloney.

Of course it is baloney, you just made it up. I said nothing in the quoted statement about peoples ability to empathize with others. Once again, you prefer to engage with me on dishonest terms rather than actually deal with what I said. You are off on this tangent, unrelated to what I said, about who can understand who. That's an interesting topic, but it is as a point of fact not what I said.

It's not about deciding how to respond to you, it's about gauging your level of personal understanding of the issue.

It's about judging my as a stereotype based on what you guess I've experienced as a person based on stereotypical expectations about what a person of a given race has experienced. And that is racism. It's about claiming that a person's skin color gives them particular authority on a subject based on your stereotypical expectations about what that person has had to live through. And that is racism.

As much as you might like to think that you can perfectly understand the issue, as a white person, you cannot. Not because you haven't experienced individual experiences of discrimination, even based on your race. I'm sure many people can relate to that experience. But because your race doesn't inform every moment of practically every interaction you have with practically every facet of our society. If you are a white person in a white-dominated society, it is a 100% certainty that you've never had to live through it, every day of your life. I never have either.

I said nothing about perfect. I can't perfectly know even myself, much less any other person. But that is all just a tangent you are on.

Lets make this real. Are you willing to stake your beliefs on your 100% certainty. That is, if you are wrong, will you actually sit back and think rather than deflecting?

Aldarc

Legend
Oh, darn. Not a condescendingly disapproving image! That must mean that you are most definitely right and that I am cowered into shame. That's how this works right?

Do I really need to point out the difference in a word with ancient roots describing an ancient concept that has neutral connotations and an insult speicifically created and used against a specific group of people in more recent memory ?
I actually had another "n word" in mind here, albeit the word(s) from which that insult derived, which was both "a word with ancient roots" and "used against a specific group of people in more recent memory" and even somehow regarded as a "neutral" term within living memory. But sure, we can talk about the insult. And as it turns out, the term "race" as a classification of peoples and the "n word" as a derogatory insult arose at approximately the same time period in European history. Talk about coincidence.

Phasestar

First Post
It's not about deciding how to respond to you, it's about gauging your level of personal understanding of the issue. As much as you might like to think that you can perfectly understand the issue, as a white person, you cannot. Not because you haven't experienced individual experiences of discrimination, even based on your race. I'm sure many people can relate to that experience. But because your race doesn't inform every moment of practically every interaction you have with practically every facet of our society. If you are a white person in a white-dominated society, it is a 100% certainty that you've never had to live through it, every day of your life. I never have either.

Well, this is getting a bit far from the original topic, but I have to chime in.

Why do you accept this idea as fact? White people, black people, all people are not monolithic or the same as each other because of skin color. We are all individuals. If you meet someone, regardless of their skin color and they explain their life, their struggles and challenges, you certainly can understand that as a fellow human being even if you have not lived it. It may not be easy to put yourself in someone else's shoes - but it can be done. We each have our own challenges - life is a struggle and at times overwhelmingly painful and difficult regardless of who you are.

The idea that white people simply need to back away from the conversation because they can't possibly understand, while all people of a different color automatically can, is part of the problem and will only make things worse over time. We need to understand each other as human beings, listen to each other's perspectives and if people come to believe it's not even worth having that discussion, that is guaranteed to not lead to a better place.

As noted above also - listening and understanding does not always lead to the same conclusions, though it can. We each have different perspectives, different knowledge, etc. and that can lead to respectful disagreement even with understanding.

Obryn

Hero
Hence why I said it has no place outside fantasy. In D&D it's fine since, unlike Earth, most worlds in D&D have multiple races.
Yeah, so this conversation is about what it's called in earth-books that are written and published in the real world.

Mordenkainen can call it whatever he wants; this is about Paizo and WotC trying to be better than they have been in the past through tiny, incremental changes.

james501

First Post
Oh, darn. Not a condescendingly disapproving image! That must mean that you are most definitely right and that I am cowered into shame. That's how this works right?

It was less about being patronising and more about me being dumbfounded that you made a false equivalence between a direct insult and the word "race".

I actually had another "n word" in mind here, albeit the word(s) from which that insult derived, which was both "a word with ancient roots" and "used against a specific group of people in more recent memory" and even somehow regarded as a "neutral" term within living memory. But sure, we can talk about the insult. And as it turns out, the term "race" as a classification of peoples and the "n word" as a derogatory insult arose at approximately the same time period in European history. Talk about coincidence.

The concept of "race" existed back in Roman and Ancient times in their equivalent words.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Pot calling the kettle black. You contradicted me without even the courage to offer your own operative definition of racism. The burden of evidence was on you, not me.

Fair enough.
Racism is Prejudice plus Institutional Power. Racism is is combination of racial biases and prejudices combined with the institutional and social power to codify and enforce this prejudice onto an entire society. Racism is systemic; and the examples range from everything from explicitly prejudicial (such as segregation or redlining) to implicitly (such as remarkably uneven outcomes within law enforcement and criminal justice).

But let's step away from the systemic, academic definition of racism to the more colloquial one, which just leans on individual prejudice. Let's say, a baseline here is regarding that someone is lesser than solely on the basis of their race. None of the things you are talking about even really meet the boundaries of that, fairly broad definition.

Yes, it is. If we are going to have an honest discussion about race, we have to call out racism. Quite often you might have racist impulses that you aren't actually aware of, and it's helpful to this discussion to get people to question there assumptions. I'm willing to bet that we agree, and that you just disagree over who needs to reflect. However, you've tacitly agreed that the problem isn't my definition of racism, when you agreed that my "fantasy world" wouldn't have racism. So we aren't actually quibbling about that despite your indignation, we are only quibbling over how to get there from here.

Yes, the term "fantasy" was probably a little much. I think we are, in fact, quibbling over your definition of racism (see above), and we are in fact disagreeing over the things the other things that you state.

Then don't accuse me of it.

Fair. Consider it a general statement to the thread rather than at you, specifically. There are definitely those in the thread who have absolutely done so. I'm sorry to have lumped you in.

The sentence I didn't believe added much to the conversation, and to be honest I don't even recall snipping it. Is it possible you added it when you amended your post?

I believe the only words I added to that sentence post my original-post was "and impacted", though I'm certain you can double-check your notifications for the original version of my post (which was a bit snippier than I had intended)

But ok, if you want to address that, again, the fact of the matter is I never said that I had a problem with recognizing that the world is racist and addressing how it actually affects and impacts people. What I said was that if you feel the need to inquire as to the race of a person on the internet then you are racist, so once again you are just engaged in dishonest deflecting.

I would say that I don't see how you can't see that those are the exact same thing, but that would be a lie; I do understand it, and it has everything to do with your worldview not accepting the fact that not every human experience (or sum of human experiences, which is what we are talking about here) is universal. If you took even a moment to try to understand (not agree) with where I'm coming from (and to which I explained pretty clearly in my last post, which you again snipped from your reply) you would see how obviously I could see how the two are same.

You can disagree with my claim if you like, but so far you've instead chosen to be highly dishonest about what I actually said.

No, I'm re-framing to you the actual impact of what you're saying. You may disagree with the premises that led to those conclusions, but given the premise, yes, you are exactly saying that something that is exactly addressing the impact of racism (that is, inquiring as to the lived experiences of the people engaging in the conversation to have the proper point of view for their context) is racist. And that is, in fact, nonsense.

No, as a matter of actual fact, I'm saying this: "What I said is that you have to know the race of the person you are talking to because its that relevant to you, then it's racism."

I did not say:

Of course it is baloney, you just made it up. I said nothing in the quoted statement about peoples ability to empathize with others. Once again, you prefer to engage with me on dishonest terms rather than actually deal with what I said. You are off on this tangent, unrelated to what I said, about who can understand who. That's an interesting topic, but it is as a point of fact not what I said.

You did, you just don't realize that's what you were saying because you refuse to acknowledge the link between who can understand who and the reasons why someone's race might be relevant in a conversation about race and racism.

[quoteIt's about judging my as a stereotype based on what you guess I've experienced as a person based on stereotypical expectations about what a person of a given race has experienced. And that is racism. It's about claiming that a person's skin color gives them particular authority on a subject based on your stereotypical expectations about what that person has had to live through. And that is racism.[/quote]

No, it's about understanding deeper, broader, more insidious cultural factors at work, factor that are no longer often all that obvious but no less damaging in impact. And it's about listening to and believing the stories shared by others, and about understanding the limits of our own experiences based on the privileges we receive for living in a society geared towards people who look like us.

Lets make this real. Are you willing to stake your beliefs on your 100% certainty. That is, if you are wrong, will you actually sit back and think rather than deflecting?

Sure, but I'll hedge a little, because as we both know singular exceptions do not disprove rules. But sure. Find me a white person living in a white-dominated society that is routinely watched and followed in stores because of the color of their skin. Find me the white person living in a white-dominated society that is routinely targeted by their peers, teachers and counselors in school, solely based on the color of their skin. Find me the white person living in a white-dominated society who has to fear every interaction with every police officer they have, because what if he's one of those "bad apple" cops, or more accurately, a cop who inherently has a significantly greater fear of certain people due to the color of skin, and might think they need to react to that fear by killing me, which they will almost certainly not be punished for? Find me the white person living in a white-dominated society who has so few heroes and superheroes and role-models of the same race within the cultural milieu to look up to. Find the white person living in a white-dominated society who, any time there is a new character in a work of pop culture that shares their race, has to hear an endless barrage of complaining that all this is doing appeasing whiny crybabies who, apparently, should just be happy that they are allowed to exist within fictional worlds at all, let alone as main characters? Find me the white person living in a white-dominated society who, anytime a work of pop culture predominantly features people who share the same color fails to find an audience and is cancelled, has to endure countless think pieces about how that failure was entirely due to the color of the skin of the main characters (an argument that happened in this very thread, mind you). Find me the white person in a white-dominated society who, any time they achieve anything, such as getting into a school, or getting a job, or landing a major role, is due entirely based on the color of their skin, and that if and when they fail, their failure will be seen as also being based entirely based on the color of their skin.

And that's just scratching the surface. That's just the individual prejudicial level BS people of color have to endure basically every day in our society. I haven't even gotten to the systemic-level outcomes, outcomes there are mountains and mountains of data revealing the sheer extent of.

But sure, find me a white person living in a white-dominated society who has to deal with all (or even just a majority) of that crap on a daily basis, and I'll reconsider whether white people do or do not have the ability to fully comprehend the lived experiences of people of color in a white-dominated society, and therefore, maybe, that the color of one's skin has little to no bearing on their ability to contribute to a conversation about race.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Well, this is getting a bit far from the original topic, but I have to chime in.

Why do you accept this idea as fact? White people, black people, all people are not monolithic or the same as each other because of skin color. We are all individuals. If you meet someone, regardless of their skin color and they explain their life, their struggles and challenges, you certainly can understand that as a fellow human being even if you have not lived it. It may not be easy to put yourself in someone else's shoes - but it can be done. We each have our own challenges - life is a struggle and at times overwhelmingly painful and difficult regardless of who you are.

The idea that white people simply need to back away from the conversation because they can't possibly understand, while all people of a different color automatically can, is part of the problem and will only make things worse over time. We need to understand each other as human beings, listen to each other's perspectives and if people come to believe it's not even worth having that discussion, that is guaranteed to not lead to a better place.

As noted above also - listening and understanding does not always lead to the same conclusions, though it can. We each have different perspectives, different knowledge, etc. and that can lead to respectful disagreement even with understanding.

You clearly missed the part, right after I said that, where I said that that doesn't mean that white people cannot contribute to the conversation. And no, not all people of color have the exact same experiences; but most people of color have had enough experiences that are similar enough in nature that I do feel 100% in the assertion that you quoted. And white people we should definitely be contributing to the conversation. But yeah, I do think we could stand to listen more to the experiences and stories of people of color, to amplify their voices and, if nothing else, share that you believe them.

What's not helpful is calling a woman of color a racist for trying to gauge where people's lived experiences are at within the context of that conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases