Origins Award Winners

This years Origins Award Winners were announced at the Origins Game Fair in Columbus, Ohio, this last weekend. Among the categories were two RPG ones (Best Role-Playing Game of the Year; Best Role-playing Supplement of the Year) that had some strong contenders vying for the statuette.

This years winners are:

Best Board Game of the Year: Gloomhaven by Cephalofair Games!
Best Card Game of the Year: Ex Libris by Renegade Games
Best Family Game of the Year: Azul by Plan B Games
Best Role-playing Game of the Year: Adventures in Middle-Earth Player’s Handbook by Cubicle 7 Entertainment
Best Role-playing Supplement of the Year: Dungeons & Dragons Xanathar’s Guide to Everything by Wizards of the Coast
Best Miniatures of the Year:Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition by Games Workshop
Best Game Accessories of the Year: Terraforming Mars Organizer by The Broken Token
Best Collectible Game: Star Wars Destiny: Awakenings Booster by Fantasy Flight Games

Eric M. Lang and Ken St. Andre were also inducted into the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design Hall of Fame.

View attachment 98585
(photo courtesy of Andrew Peregrine)​

Other contenders for this years best RPG were: Blades in the Dark, Blue Rose, Cthulhu Confidential, The Dark Eye, The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, My Little Pony: Tales of Equestria, Monsterhearts 2, Puppetland, Starfinder, Star Trek Adventures, Tales from the Loop, Traveller Starter Set and Vurt.

The other contenders for the Best RPG supplement were: Rhovanian Region Guide (Adventrues in Middle-earth), Loremaster’s Guide (Adventures in Middle-earth), Narrator’s Kit (Blue Rose), The Grand Grimoire of the Cthulhu Mythos (Call of Cthulhu), The Two Headed Serpent (Call of Cthulhu), Codex Germania (Castles & Crusades), Codex Slavorum (Castles & Crusades), Cypher System Expanded Worlds, Predation (Cypher System), Gamemaster’s Companion (Doctor Who), Atlas of Earth Prime (Mutants & Masterminds) and the Demon Lord’s Companion (Shadow of the Demon Lord).

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Unfortunately, the number of sales is absolutely NOT indicative of quality, whatsoever.
... and I said that volume should be 'a factor', not the final determination.

No I hadn't heard of the Echo Music Prize, before or after they covered themselves in not-glory.
Way back when, Ed Sullivan told the Rolling Stones to tone down their lyrics if they wanted to appear on his show; the Echo people had the same option.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Or, alternatively, capitalism works to some extent and the best products might tend to have the best sales.

Or, the products with the highest budgets and best chance at high sales will tend to have the most effort put into them to make them better than other products.

Or.... etc.

There's many potential explanations of why the best selling products are more likely to win awards other than sales and popularity having some weight. Correlation does not mean causation (and even if it did, which way does that arrow of causation point?) :)

Sure sure.

But they did go for the best selling 5e products. Which is redundant, as those will be the best sellers, but it does make you wonder. Even for a fairly overt 5e fan boy like myself it makes you wonder. Where they just better, or was it 5es built in audience?

Ogrebeef

First Post
This is the most boring, flaccid, sell out list I've ever seen. These awards have no value at all. You're telling me that Adventures in Middle-Earth should have more accolades then games like "Blades in The Dark" or "Blue Rose"? Who were the judges?

Zarithar

Adventurer
This is the most boring, flaccid, sell out list I've ever seen. These awards have no value at all. You're telling me that Adventures in Middle-Earth should have more accolades then games like "Blades in The Dark" or "Blue Rose"? Who were the judges?

Based on that list I would say Amazon.com.

Seriously though... congrats to Ken St. Andre!

Jhaelen

First Post
Way back when, Ed Sullivan told the Rolling Stones to tone down their lyrics if they wanted to appear on his show; the Echo people had the same option.
Given the outcome, I'm quite glad, the Echo representatives were too naive to think of such an option. That award was an abomination, anyway. I mean, how would you feel about "50 shades of gray" getting a Pulitzer price? That's just ridiculous.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Given the outcome, I'm quite glad, the Echo representatives were too naive to think of such an option. That award was an abomination, anyway. I mean, how would you feel about "50 shades of gray" getting a Pulitzer price? That's just ridiculous.

Yassir Arafat somehow was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize, despite never having good-faith pursued peace in his life. I wonder what the REAL qualification list was that year?
(P.S. not wanting to derail thread with politics but the historical example was too memorable to ignore.)

AngusA

First Post

The voters were the attendees of Origins.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The voters were the attendees of Origins.

No. I used to think that too, but that's not the case.

The members of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design are the ones who have the vote on the actual Origins Awards. The Academy an honorary organization that is made up of some subset of GAMA members who can apply to get in and gain membership through some process that isn't publicly known (so very much like the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the way they handle the Oscars).

The voting that is done at Origins by attendees is for the Fan Favorite award in each category, not the actual winners.

And to answer my own question above, the Academy has now posted the 2018 fan favorite winners on their website.

Interestingly enough this year - the Fan Favorites in almost every category track exactly with the determination of the Academy members. There are maybe two that differ (maybe one?) - the award for Best Roleplaying Game went to Adventures in Middle Earth, but the Fan Favorite in that category went to Starfinder. And the award for Best Card Game went to Ex Libris, but both Ex Libris and Hero Realms are listed as Fan Favorites (dunno if that's a typo or if they really tied).

Zander

Explorer
No. I used to think that too, but that's not the case.

The members of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design are the ones who have the vote on the actual Origins Awards. The Academy an honorary organization that is made up of some subset of GAMA members who can apply to get in and gain membership through some process that isn't publicly known (so very much like the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the way they handle the Oscars).

You might imagine that being an Origins Award winner automatically qualifies you to be an Academy member or at least to have some say on future winners, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I won an Origins Award a few years ago and, as far as I know, no particular privileges flow from that. :.-(

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases