D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Okay I think it's useful to list of WotC settings.

Forgotten Realms: Subsetting Faerun (partial check) Kara Tur, Al Qadim, and Maztica and the seeds for more.

Mystara

Eberron (partial check)

Ravenloft (partial check)

Ravnica (soon to be check marked off)

Darksun

Spelljammer

Planescape

Dragonlance

Greyhawk

Council of Wyrms (might really be a subletting of another setting)

Birthright

And I will add the three MtG setting that could get hard cover books.

Alara

Tarkir

Theros

For the purposes of speculating on WotC plans, you should also consider which settings they excluded or included in the recent marketing survey, which also match up with the organization on the DMsGuild. Mystarra, Birthright, Council of Works, the "Dawn War"/Nentir Vale, Spelljammer, Jakondor or Blackmoor are all filed away under "Search Settings" instead of being immediately selectable, and were not mentioned in the marketing survey.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Although it won't be Mystara, I do think that Mystara will come when they figure out the best way to sell it to new fans. I've only read one Mystara novel, that and some Wikipedia articles are my only experience with it, but I did enjoy the novel.

WotC would need to get someone like Bruce Heard in if they wanted to do Mystara properly.

gyor

Legend
For the purposes of speculating on WotC plans, you should also consider which settings they excluded or included in the recent marketing survey, which also match up with the organization on the DMsGuild. Mystarra, Birthright, Council of Works, the "Dawn War"/Nentir Vale, Spelljammer, Jakondor or Blackmoor are all filed away under "Search Settings" instead of being immediately selectable, and were not mentioned in the marketing survey.

I think Blackmoor is apart of their Greyhawk or Mystara, Just in a different era or something, and if I included that, I would have to include every era in FR that is playable, and that is a long list, I edited my post to add Nentir Vale, and I'm not sure what Jakondor is, but does WotC own the rights to it? Because I could have added Hyborea, the setting of Conan the Barbarian, which would be cool, but D&D no longer has the rights to do it's TRPGs and hasn't for a long time.

gyor

Legend
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Jakandor

Okay it is a AD&D 2e mini setting, but I mean it's so small, with only two human cultures, that even the Moonshaes Isles and the Border Kingdoms have more to them.

Having read up on it honestly Jakandor screams Ravenloft domain, a great Ravenloft domain, one culture reverses necromancy and zombies, that used to rule a vast Empire before being wiped out mostly be a disease, with the island being the only survivors and the other culture worships a fanatical War and Revenge Goddess, and revevre Werewolves and who believe their world of origin was wiped out for spiritual pollution, leaving only them. And they are locked in a never ending, hellish war with each that seems to have no point or benefit. That screams two peoples who were kidnapped by the Dark Powers, and dumped into a domain together to suffer, and it needs is a Dark Lord.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My bet is on Dragonlance, purely on the assumption that development of legacy IP with a history of successful products beyond RPG material is probably a long-term priority.

The caveat is that I'm usually wrong about pretty much everything.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think Blackmoor is apart of their Greyhawk or Mystara, Just in a different era or something, and if I included that, I would have to include every era in FR that is playable, and that is a long list, I edited my post to add Nentir Vale, and I'm not sure what Jakondor is, but does WotC own the rights to it? Because I could have added Hyborea, the setting of Conan the Barbarian, which would be cool, but D&D no longer has the rights to do it's TRPGs and hasn't for a long time.

Blackmoor is, simeltaneously, it's own setting, part of Mystarra's past and Greyhawk present. Or all three, depending on what a DM wants it to be.

Thing is, if you go to the DMs Guild, all of those minor settings (also Thunder Rift) are in the same "Other" bucket along with Mystarra, Birthright, Spelljammer and so on. The Known World and Birthright are about as likely as Jakondor or Blackmoor to get a 5E project, in other words.

oknazevad

Explorer
There's three versions of Blackmoor. Arneson's full, standalone version was last seen as a third-party published 4e setting book. Arneson licensed back the rights and teamed with a company called Zeitgeist Games to produce a 3e version, and later a 4e version as the last thing he worked on before passing away. Those are actually available on the full DriveThruRPG site, but not the DMsGuild storefront for it. There was also the version published as a four-part "DA" module series by TSR for Basic D&D, which officially made that version of Blackmoor the ancient, pre-cataclysm era of Mystara. That series of modules is available through the DMsGuild. Lastly there's the region of Blackmoor in the northern part of the Flanness on Oerth, in the Greyhawk setting. That was really just a shoutout to the "other campaign" as it were in the earliest days of the games development. After all, it was a somewhat distant, cold, wintry land. Just as Minnesota (Arneson's home) appears to the rest of the Midwest, including Wisconsin, where Gygax lived.

Jakondor was a strange little mini setting that was released during the late 2e era, consisting only of a trio of books detailing a setting consisting of an island continent where there's a continuous conflict between a wizard society and an alliance of barbarian tribes. Jeff Grubb apparently created the concept circa 1994, though it wasn't published for a couple more years. WOTC definitely owns it now.

gyor

Legend
There's three versions of Blackmoor. Arneson's full, standalone version was last seen as a third-party published 4e setting book. Arneson licensed back the rights and teamed with a company called Zeitgeist Games to produce a 3e version, and later a 4e version as the last thing he worked on before passing away. Those are actually available on the full DriveThruRPG site, but not the DMsGuild storefront for it. There was also the version published as a four-part "DA" module series by TSR for Basic D&D, which officially made that version of Blackmoor the ancient, pre-cataclysm era of Mystara. That series of modules is available through the DMsGuild. Lastly there's the region of Blackmoor in the northern part of the Flanness on Oerth, in the Greyhawk setting. That was really just a shoutout to the "other campaign" as it were in the earliest days of the games development. After all, it was a somewhat distant, cold, wintry land. Just as Minnesota (Arneson's home) appears to the rest of the Midwest, including Wisconsin, where Gygax lived.

Jakondor was a strange little mini setting that was released during the late 2e era, consisting only of a trio of books detailing a setting consisting of an island continent where there's a continuous conflict between a wizard society and an alliance of barbarian tribes. Jeff Grubb apparently created the concept circa 1994, though it wasn't published for a couple more years. WOTC definitely owns it now.

So Blackmoor is kind of like Gloomwrought, but FR & Nentir Vale have a version in there world.

Like I said about Jakondor, I'd just add it to Ravenloft as a Domain. Alternately you could add it to FR some where, maybe a distant island somewhere or put it on Abeir.

Last edited by a moderator:

oknazevad

Explorer
So Blackmoor is kind of like Gloomwrought, but FR & Nentir Vale have a version in there world.
Not exactly. The Greyhawk version bears no actual resemblance to the full setting; it's really just a name drop from the days when no one knew anything about any of these settings, a friendly nod to the other group as a small tribute and inside reference.

The other two were both written by Arneson himself, so may actually be the same place, just different editions. It's intentionally vague and non-commital, largely because of rights issues. Some of the adventures were directly ported to the 3.x version, too.

These aren't settings where canon is consistent. Indeed, the idea of "one true" version of the setting runs very counter to the ethos of the creators, who were bomebrewers by their nature and always knew that any published version would be modified to meet the needs of the table. "Your setting may vary" is the mentality, not ironbound canon.
Like I said about Jakondor, I'd just add it to Ravenloft as a Domain. Alternately you could add it to FR some where, maybe a distant island somewhere or put it on Abeir.

Jakondor doesn't feel Ravenloft to me; I just don't see any gothic horror vibe to it. If anything it's more Conan-esque sword & sorcery (or sword vs sorcery, if you will). It was meant as a thing that can be dropped in to any homebrew world, so there's is validity to adding it to another setting. But why? Not every mini setting has to be shoehorned into another larger setting. They can exist on their own.

gyor

Legend
Not exactly. The Greyhawk version bears no actual resemblance to the full setting; it's really just a name drop as a nod to the days when no one knew anything about any of these settings. The other two were both written by Arneson himself, so may actually be the same place, just different editions. It's intentionally vague and non-commital, largely because of rights issues. These aren't settings where canon is consistent. Indeed, the idea of "one true" version of the setting runs very counter to the ethos of the creators, who were bomebrewers by their nature and always knew that any published version would be modified to meet the needs of the table. "Your setting may vary" is the mentality, not ironbound canon.

Jakondor doesn't feel Ravenloft to me; I just don't see any gothic horror vibe to it. If anything it's more Conan-esque sword & sorcery (or sword vs sorcery, if you will). It was meant as a thing that can be dropped in to any homebrew world, so there's is validity to adding it to another setting. But why? Not every mini setting has to be shoehorned into another larger setting. They can exist on their own.

Ravenloft isn't restricted to just Gothic horror, I think other forms of horror can fit into a domain.

And there isn't enough slots for books to allow each minisetting to just be it's own thing.

Anyways I went to DMSGUILD and this is what I found for other settings.

Al-Qadim

Birthright

Blackmoor

Jakandor

Kara-Tur

Maztica

Mystara

Nentir Vale

Rokugan

Spelljammer

Thunder Rift

Underdark