tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

The Big BZ

Explorer
Why do you have to suffer it? Why can't you just not watch it?
I don't suffer it because I don't watch it but I can't avoid the change in emphasis in Adventures League module writing. And I guess the point is that the OP is concerned that this change in emphasis will bleed into the hardcovers.

A friend of mine has an interesting theory. < snip >

Your "friend's" ("asking for a friend") theory is pretty ludicrous on a number of grounds, as people have pointed out, but it's particularly bad, because you haven't defined "Grognard".

I'm 40. I've been DMing D&D for 30 bloody years. I'm pretty sure I'm a "Grognard". I've not got any use for ghastly grindy trap-filled hellhole of a dungeon. I've got tons of use for a cool pirate adventure.

Plus it's ridiculous nonsense because now, in 2019, you have a ton of fairly-recently-produced, high-quality, old-school material across a number of D&D-likes (and D&D5E itself). The situation is far better now than it was in say, 1996 or 1998 or 2004 or whenever.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am the OP's friend with the theory!

Context:
I own every published physical 5th edition product so far and l have them all on Beyond. I have played in or run every AP so far and am currently DMing DotMM (Level 14), run a 9 table Adventurers League night, co-host a D&D (not actual play) podcast and spend countless €€€€ on out of print and third party products every month. I am as hardcore a fan as it gets really!

What streamers represent is a rarified version of a playstyle that Wizards are trying to cater for. Witness the Season 8 AL modules, particulary Once in Waterdeep and the first two Tier 1 trilogies. They explicity push a type of slapstick, extra playstyle. The OP, I guess, is saying that this drive to cater for heavy RP doesn't suit everyone and is part of a move to cater to a wider audience. And again, while that particular playstyle isn't for me, if it means continued health and expansion of the game I will suffer the move to cater for it.

Any time you tell someone that they are playing the wrong game, even with your preface of 'I don't want to be a jerk but' I think you need to have a bit of a look at yourself.

So, WotC is making stuff to cater to the people who play the game: oh, dear...?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases