A New D&D Book in 2019: Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual!

Penny Arcade is Releasing an Officially Liscensed Third Party D&D Book Apparently, Penny Arcade is releasing a fully licensed book about Acquisitions, Inc. https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/18/dungeons-and-dragons-penny-arcade-acquisitions-inc-dungeon-manual/

pukunui

Legend
If you’re someone who, like me, runs a home brew world (or any world that isn’t Forgotten Realms) but is interested in using this book, how would you go about it? Just have AI be from whatever setting you use instead? Or set up an offworld franchise? Or something else entirely?
Are they really all that tied to FR? The characters started out in Nentir Vale during 4e. If I’m not mistaken, they’ll be moving from FR to Ravnica soon. So AI could very well already be a multiplanar organisation.

gyor

Legend
Is this one of the 3 to 4 WotC released this year? Because if so, that is sad.

Also is this the book with the ship rules in it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Possible but unlikely, since it’s being billed as third-party. As far as I can tell. PA are publishing it with WotC’s blessing.

It's a bit more than a blessing. WotC's involvement is enough for them to not use Kickstarter.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Banesfinger

Explorer
Acquisitions Incorporated has already made the jump into other D&D products: it is the main theme of the newest release (mod 15) of Neverwinter (a MMO online game). The humor is great (poking a little fun at the game itself: calling adventurers "murderers", some dead interns of the company coming back as ghosts and forming a union, etc). Yet it still manages to stay true to the world; using an airship to travel to various locations around Neverwinter (northern Sword Coast).

It does pose a good question: in a world where (successful) adventuring groups are formed, would that turn into a business/guild? And if so, what would that guild look like? How would it be run? Would it be similar to Forgotten Realms "Factions"?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I wonder if we’ll get stats for the various Acq Inc characters, including Aoefel and maybe Binwin but I’m doubtful that Binwin makes it in now since he’s as a character isn’t part of the organization. Kinda excited by it now to see what will be in it.

Scott Kurtz owns the rights to Binwin Bronzebottom, not Penny Arcade. Also, Binwin died in a Dice, Camera, Action session last summer. So I doubt he'll be in the book.

Hopefully the book will not be overly reliant on the founding characters and instead gives plenty of room to customize things for your own world.

Acquisitions Incorporated has already made the jump into other D&D products: it is the main theme of the newest release (mod 15) of Neverwinter (a MMO online game). The humor is great (poking a little fun at the game itself: calling adventurers "murderers", some dead interns of the company coming back as ghosts and forming a union, etc). Yet it still manages to stay true to the world; using an airship to travel to various locations around Neverwinter (northern Sword Coast).
Omin Dran being a Masked Lord of Waterdeep has also been canonized, and he has appeared in an Ed Greenwood novel.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Much of the controversy has been overblown but Mike has said some things that are, at best, incredibly tone deaf. He also seems to hold unpopular opinions about trans-gendered people, which I disagree with. He certainly has a right to express his opinions, but as a businessman, might want to keep those opinions to himself and close friends and off twitter.

As I understand it he said some stuff out of ignorance rather than malice, and apologized once a trans friend explained things to him. So while Mike and Jerry may put their foots in their mouths on occasion, they do seem like guys who are willing to be educated.
Gonna have to read up on that before deciding whether or not to purchase. I have doubts that the dnd5e team would be so closely linked with these guys if they hadn't gotten better on this stuff, learned from mistakes, etc. I've been surprised before, but I have a hard time seeing Jeremy working with someone who is even kinda transphobic, for instance. Inclusivity is extremely important to the whole team, as far as I can tell.

I do enjoy what I've seen of the C Team game, and my wife is listening to the old podcast episodes with Wil Wheaton right now. I avoided them for a long time just bc there are a million online media things to consume, and I didn't care to support the :mad::mad::mad::mad:-wolves guys (as another user said, it was more their reaction to criticism than anything else), but they seem to have grown? We'll see.

The article link MN linked was from 2013. So 5+ years ago he put his foot in his mouth, nothing since it seem? If not, is it worth dudging it up again if it’s a case where he apologized and grew out of it and hasn’t made the same mistake again?

Can we focus on the product coming out and not crud from the past that mike grew from? Most of us would be consider idiots based on thing
s we’ve said or done while in high school/college and adult life until we learned better.
Depends on if he has grown. The fact it happened 5+ years ago doesn't automatically mean that is the case. Some people never stop being the idiot they were in high school or college.

But also, he wasn't that young when he put out offensive material, doubled down when criticized for it, or when he expressed problematic views about trans people. Time, by itself, doesn't automatically get anyone a pass. It just gets them a chance to prove they've fixed their crap, at most.

Remove ads

Remove ads