Talls Strongholds and Followers adventure - Full

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I had a realization on the last turn that I built Eowyn as someone who never speaks. That...is going to interfere with spellcasting verbal components, since it it assumed you have to speak in a loud, clear voice. So I'm a bit stuck, since pretty much every spell has V. GM, how should we handle this? :/

TallIan

Explorer
I had a realization on the last turn that I built Eowyn as someone who never speaks. That...is going to interfere with spellcasting verbal components, since it it assumed you have to speak in a loud, clear voice. So I'm a bit stuck, since pretty much every spell has V. GM, how should we handle this? :/

Does she make no sounds at all? A simple solution would be that Eowyn whistles, clicks or humms the vocal components but otherwise doesn’t talk.

TallIan

Explorer
In my head, no sound. But I suppose she could do that. A compromise with the rules LOL

Normally the components of a spell are rarely a problem, but it does give the DM a tool to stop spell casters being able to cast all the time (in the same way you can take away a fighter's weapon). Somatic component? tie his hand. Material Component? Take his focus/pouch. Verbal component? Gag him. Its something that matters 1 in 100 sessions? so from that regard I wouldn't mind allowing a mute spell caster.

My real concern for mute spell casting though is the silence spell. Its a VERY powerful anti spell caster effect that I am not willing to discard. If you really want Eowyn to not talk and you an think of a way to compensate then go ahead. We could just say that as long as Eowyn could speak she can cast the spell.

Maybe she makes clicking sounds with teeth or (not knowing the nature of her muteness) tongue. Neither of those require vocalization. (And if she is making clicking sounds, it will intrigue U'Tempei whose language includes click sounds.

TallIan

Explorer
Druids don't have Silence, though, IIRC. But I'm fine with her having to make some sound or something, I guess, if needed.

No, But other spell casters could cast silence on Eowyn. RAW that should stop spells with a V component and being immune to that is quite a powerful buff.

Shayuri

First Post
Gavien, yes. I narrated him briefly in my post. He's keeping his association with her on the down-low for the moment so he can sniff around without attracting attention.

But he can help out with this, I think.

TallIan

Explorer
OOC: So are we going in initiative order or what?

I thought I would move this here as it may warrant some discussion. For some reason I thought more of you were players in my PotA game so I assumed you knew I did this. I PLAY with most of you, but only KahlessNestor is a player in my PotA game. Anyway-

What we settled on in that game was to run initiative like this; The whole party rolls initiative and all the bad guys roll initiative. The highest roll wins initiative for their team and that team goes first. The party goes in the order they post - unless there is something important that matters then initiative roll takes over.

This has some pros and cons, but the two biggest pros are: simplicity and each player can see what has already happened when they make their own post - so there are less IF...THEN...ELSE... posts. If you want to wait for someone else to do something you still can. A hold action in this system only applies of you are waiting for the enemy to do something. It does give a slight boost to non-DEX characters as they are gaining the benefits of high DEX without the cost, but that's not really a huge problem - its not like DEX is under powered or anything.

I can foresee some issues with this (eg the Alert feat) but felt I could deal with these as they arrived.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases