Microscope and Beyond

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Fair points, all. I have literally no idea how Microscope works, so I was just picking it up and running with it. :)

That's cool, Shayuri. Yes, Microscope is all about "being in the moment", examining only the task at hand. Since it seems we're read to move on, let's come to an agreement on which of these Big Picture options we would like to work on:

THE BIG PICTURE

1. An arcane field of knowledge - long lost and forgotten by most - has resurfaced, throwing a civilization into chaos!

2. Civilisation had reached a shining pinnacle of Art, Science, and Magic, but then a Stellar Event occurred, and now all the rules have changed.

3. A huge spaceship is sent from Earth to colonize a distant world.

4. An ancient empire rises and falls.

5. In the darkest recesses of space, the whispering dreams of a sleeping entity call out. A wise but stagnant empire answers the call, hoping to serve the entity in exchange for salvation from inevitable destruction.

6. A great civilization discovers an ancient secret whose power both threatens the civilization and holds the key to its salvation.

Link to the brainstorming document.

Players:
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION]
[MENTION=79926]ART![/MENTION]

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
That's cool, Shayuri. Yes, Microscope is all about "being in the moment", examining only the task at hand. Since it seems we're read to move on, let's come to an agreement on which of these Big Picture options we would like to work on:

THE BIG PICTURE

1. An arcane field of knowledge - long lost and forgotten by most - has resurfaced, throwing a civilization into chaos!

2. Civilisation had reached a shining pinnacle of Art, Science, and Magic, but then a Stellar Event occurred, and now all the rules have changed.

5. In the darkest recesses of space, the whispering dreams of a sleeping entity call out. A wise but stagnant empire answers the call, hoping to serve the entity in exchange for salvation from inevitable destruction.

6. A great civilization discovers an ancient secret whose power both threatens the civilization and holds the key to its salvation.

Players:
@KahlessNestor
@Shayuri
@Archon Basileus
@FitzTheRuke
@ART!

That #6 was just me trying to smoosh together the first 5 pitches, so let's ignore that - unless people really dig it, I guess!

I vote for one of the following:

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
THE BIG PICTURE

I will throw my votes in for 1, 2, and 3.

Voting so far:

1. 2 votes
2. 3 votes
3. 1 vote
4. 0 votes
5. 2 votes
6. 1 vote
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION] yet to vote.

Players:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
THE BIG PICTURE

I will throw my votes in for 1, 2, and 3.

Voting so far:

1. 3 votes
2. 4 votes
3. 2 vote
4. 0 votes
5. 2 votes
6. 2 vote
[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION] yet to vote.

Players:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay, continuing on then, this seems to be our Big Picture then.

Step 1: THE BIG PICTURE

Civilization had reached a shining pinnacle of Art, Science, and Magic, but then a Stellar Event occurred, and now all the rules have changed.

Step 2: BOOKEND HISTORY

Your history will be divided into Periods. Each Period is a very large chunk of time, probably decades or centuries. Describe how your history begins and ends. These are your starting and ending Periods, the bookends of your history. You’ll add more Periods later on, but everything will be between these points.

1) Agree on a short description for each Period, just a few sentences or a paragraph at most, painting a clear picture of what happens during that time.

2) Decide whether each description is Light or Dark, whether what happens during that Period is generally happy or tragic. This is the Tone of each Period. The Tone of the starting and ending Period do not have to match.

You can describe either Period first, as you prefer. Sometimes it’s easier to pick Light or Dark for each Period, then see what ideas emerge.

Players:

Remove ads