Burning Questions: What's the Worst Thing a DM Can Do?

In this column, we take common D & D questions posed on Quora and attempt to answer them in a friendly, practical and informative way. Today's question: “As a D & D player, what is the worst thing your DM could do to take the fun out of playing?

View attachment 101478
Pictured sourced from Pixabay

I regularly DM my games—I can count on one hand the number of times I've played as PC—but the one thing that always brought me out of a game was a boring DM or a DM who was so focused on the rules, they didn't make it very fun for the players. In this case, “boring” can mean a number of different things:

1. A major emphasis or strict adherence to specific rules. I love the mechanics of D & D as much as the next guy, but an over emphasis on rules can render an otherwise fun adventure tedious.
  2. The DM insists upon railroading the players and not accounting for their ingenuity. Yeah, it sucks that on occasion, the players will completely bypass that insane dragon encounter you spent all afternoon building, but you have the ability as a DM to improvise right along with them and figure out a way to work that encounter back into a new path. As a DM, always has a contingency plan for unexpected player action. It doesn’t always work, but at least we have fun.
  3. A lack of energy in the game. Simply reading the box text of an adventure, without emotion or flair, puts me to sleep. The DM’s job is to engage the players. Without engagement, the game is boring and easily
  4. The DM gives special treatment to another player. This has ruined far too many games in my own experience. The party is a team with each member possessing their own strengths and flaws and I’ve always had more fun when the party functions as a team, rather than individual units.
While this probably isn’t unique to my own experience, it does seem to be a common concern around my FLGS. This is a bit of an experiment and we’d love to know what our readers think about this topic in the comments. We’ll be back with another RPG Quora Question soon.

This article was contributed by David J. Buck (Nostalgia Ward) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. When he isn’t learning to play or writing about RPGs, he can be found on Patreon or Twitter. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

eayres33

Explorer
I'd rather the characters die. We chose to fight and/or chose to continue fighting when things looked dire. That's how it goes sometimes.

But you are aware that this may not be the most popular option? I actually agree, I would rather have my character die, but the players I GM for would not.

eayres33

Explorer
If you asked Jeremy Crawford he would reply what 99% of all board game creators would reply: They just state how the rules where intended to be, but you are free to change them if you think that's more fun for your group.

But that's not what I want. If I want to play chess I want to play by the chess rules. If I want to play Settlers of Catan, I want to play who play by the Settlers of Catan rules. If I want to play Magic: The Gathering, I want to play by Magic: The Gathering rules. And if I want to play D&D 5e, I want to play by the D&D 5e rules.

People who are like "hey, let's change this rule for fun" are disturbances for my enjoyment.

Then perhaps 5E of D&D isn't the game for you, since the overall saying is rulings not rules. Also, chess and all of the other games you mentioned are by no ways comparable.

eayres33

Explorer
That raises the question of why the player was searching for a trap when a discharged trap was already apparent when the DM described the environment. Unless the DM didn't describe it in the environment. Which raises the question of why he or she didn't. There's just a lot going on here that is not being presented or adjudicated well in my view

It would just leave me annoyed, not guessing. I didn't say I was trying to recall lore about the discharged trap. I (if I'm playing the role of the player in your example) said I was searching for traps. Again, for some reason that is unclear given that you implied the discharged trap was found fairly easily.

There is no call for a History check in my view (based on what I understand of the rules) unless the player says he or she is trying to recall lore about some aspect of the discharged trap, and that action has an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence of failure.

I've otherwise laid out how I think this example is best presented and adjudicated in accordance with D&D 5e's prescription on How to Play in the post you've quoted.

HaHa?

eayres33

Explorer
I addressed determining surprise upthread. In D&D 5e, passive Perception applies only when the character is Keeping Watch, so this is necessarily something the player must declare at some point prior to the passive check. It cannot be assumed since there are other activities the player could choose to do that does not allow for the character to Keep Watch. (Rangers in favored terrain have a nice benefit here in that they can Keep Watch and perform another task.) Now, not a lot of DMs do this, which I think is unfortunate, but that's the rules.

As for the your river example, yes, I have the right to describe what I want to do. That's also the rules. You don't get to tell me I'm swimming against the current or whatever by asking for an Athletics check. I may want to cast water walk instead. So please just describe the environment, then ask me what I want to do. If I do something that draws upon Strength and/or Athletics that has an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequences of failure, then by all means ask for the ability check and then narrate the results of the adventurer's action. Then the loop starts again by describing the environment.

PP also applies whenever the DM thinks it does because rulings not rules. So take your law book and your rule lawership and when you DM it all applies and when you do not DM STFU.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It's probably been said, but I think not showing up, cancelling at the last minute or showing up and cancelling are the worst things the GM can do. This is assuming the GM doesn't have a good reason. Even if it is a good reason, I would probably suggest putting the game on hold or switching DM to take some the stress off them.

Especially at a convention.

Then perhaps 5E of D&D isn't the game for you, since the overall saying is rulings not rules. Also, chess and all of the other games you mentioned are by no ways comparable.
Of course they are comparable. Why would it be okay to change the rules in one game and not in another game?

The only reason D&D 5e isn't for me as a player is that there aren't any other DMs that want to play by the rules.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Of course they are comparable. Why would it be okay to change the rules in one game and not in another game?

The only reason D&D 5e isn't for me as a player is that there aren't any other DMs that want to play by the rules.
And could that be because there's one or two significant written rules in 5e that seem to have some issues, based on what I've read in here, to the point that any decent DM is going to at least look at if not fix before running her game? (the biggest of these, from what I can tell, being various aspects of resting)

Or could it be because 5e intentionally leaves some things a bit vague to allow DMs some space to make rulings to suit their own games?

Or could it be because 5e was written with the specific intent of being kitbashable - at least, that's what was said during the playtest - with DMs then encouraged to do so?

Here's another question for you: if a DM had made up her own entire rule-set from scratch and thus by default had to be playing by the rules as written seeing as she's the one as wrote 'em, would you play in that game?

pemerton

Legend
I've found this discussion/debate about the role of Perception and similar checks quite interesting.

As I understand it, [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] treats it all as an issue of GM framing - it is the GM's job to establish the scene ("describe the environment" is the term used in the Basic Rules, but I think the GM can reasonably add in other stuff too, even in 5e, eg after a particular bit of action has been resolved the GM might narrate "You've outrun the imperial guards and are back at the castle, panting and sweaty. What's next?")

If the GM wants the scene to include the PC's noticing missing gauntlest, then s/he incorporates this in his/her framing. Otherwise s/he doesn't - but if the players want to mention that they look around the castle for strange stuff that might give clues to whatever-it-is-that-matters, then they're free to do so and the GM might tell them some stuff, or call for a check, as seems appropriate depending on the details:

[sblock]
how you describe the environment is entirely up to you as DM.

<snip>

Again, you describe the environment how you want - you're the DM! You don't need dice for permission on how much detail to give. You could just say that the armor is now missing some element. Or not. If you don't and if the player does not establish that the character is examining the armor, then you needn't provide any additional detail about that armor.
As to the PCs never spotting it <snippage> If I need them to be aware of it for some reason, then I won't gate that information behind an ability check. To do so is to create a problem that one then has to solve by creating another problem - calling for an ability check for an action the player hasn't described. As I've said several times, the DM doesn't need the permission of the dice to describe the environment.
[/sblock]As I understand it, the contrary view is driven mostly by the idea that "in real life" people may or may not notice things, depending on how much sweat is dripping into their eyes after a hard run, and whether or not they're distracted by the chirping of the birds as they walk down the corridor, and the phases of the moon, and myriad other causal factors. And so the GM's narration of the scene should reflect that, which is achieved by the use of Perception checks:

[sblock]
The problem with this Iserith, is that if you play it your way (do not assume players are examining until told), the players always fail to spot the gloves.

<snip>

Unless of course, in the fiction ofthe world, they spot it by accident when moving past. What mechanic exists like that? A Perception check. Or at the very least, a dm examination of passive pereception, maybe giving a different description to a play with a passive score of over 15. Or at least, that's the way I'd do it.
Some of the description is sometimes driven by random chance: that randomness being whether you by accident happen to notice something or not.
if the history check fails the PCs just have to carry on without whatever clues might have been hidden in the Dwarven runes - if any. This is why pre-emptive checks can be useful - sometimes things just get found (or missed) by random chance en route to doing something else unrelated.
[/sblock]There is another reason being suggested for GM-called for/deterined Perception-type checks, by [MENTION=6873517]Jay Verkuilen[/MENTION], which is that they serve a metagame purpose of mixing things up and putting the players on edge:

[sblock]
that's exactly what I use an informational check for, as well as tension building. A failed check often does move the tension up. The players know there were failed checks with potential information missed, which makes them start to wonder what's going on. (Well at least I would hope so, but clearly that would depend on the player.)

I've definitely curbed my own propensity for calling for rolls where there isn't any consequence but in this case or when the player's description is just fluff, but something like the check I outlined has consequences.
I think this often depends on the table. Folks I've played with for many years will often call for checks where there's something that the player seems to be missing and it is possible the character might know something. I'll also call for checks from out of seeming left field to stimulate the player or push them in a different direction than they're looking. For example:

Nattick Nimblefingers' player: "Search for traps."
DM: "Make a History check."
[/sblock]I think iserith's reply to Jay Verkuilen on this particular point perhaps misfires a bit:

[sblock]
there is no need for the History check here. It is superfluous, and arguably any purpose it may serve relies on the kind of "metagaming" you're rolling all those extra dice trying to avoid. Not only did the player not describe an action that would call for such a check, the information can be imparted as I described: There is a discharged trap. It has dwarvish runes on it. What do you do?
[/sblock]Unlike [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] and others, Jay Verkuilen seems to want the metagame effect of the players knowing that something is afoot. But that said, I tend to sympathise more with [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] in respect of this particular GMing technique: if I want to put the players on edge I'd normally try and do this via narration than by calling for checks (or rolling dice secretly "behind the screen", which was a popular technique at least back in the late 70s and early 80s).

But on the main issue, about the GM choosing the narration vs "letting the dice decide" so as to simulate the vagaries of "real life": the "let the dice decide" approach makes some sense, I think, in the context of (mega)dungeoneering play. If there is an expectation that the players will play through some bit of dungeon multiple times, gradually trying to map it fully and loot it dry, then having some stuff gated behind random chances to notice it can make sense and be part of the GM's approach to "content revelation". And in a system that measures PCs' perceptive skills, connecting that random chance to those perceptive skills also makes sense.

But as soon as we move even a little bit in the direction of "story driven" play, where the GM has some sort of affirmative responsibility to present the players with situations that are engaging in ways that go beyond simply "there's the dungeon, have at it!", then [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]'s approach seems more rational to me. And Gygax noticed this back in 1979, in his DMG (the passage is from p 110):

t is your right to control the dice at any time and to roll dice for the players. You might wish . . . to give them an edge in finding a particular clue, eg a secret door that leads to a complex of monsters and treasures that will be especially entertaining.

Consistently with how I understand iserith's posts above, I want to say: if the complex of monsters and treasures will be especially entertaining, then why gate it behind a random chance of having fun? Just tell the players that their PCs notice the secret door! (If the GM wants to achieve this by providing the information to the player whose PC has the best Perception score, as a tip-of-the-hat to that PC's build, then that seems harmless enough, but very much a secondary consideration.)

I should add that this idea of the GM wishing that the players have some information, and so giving it to them, is different from the idea of the players needing the clue so the game can progress. The latter idea is what motivates the GUMSHOE approach of the GM narrating the (basic) clues without calling for checks; but the idea that the GM willl just provide, via narration, information that s/he thinks is interesting for the players to know needn't be connected to the idea that there is something the players must do with it, or that the information is a clue of some sort.

As soon as a DM starts paying attention to "what's good for the story" she's put herself on a slippery slope towards heavy railroading and-or plot-protecting the PCs, neither of which are all that desireable.
And apropos of the immediately above, this is just nonsense. Gygax deciding that the it would be fun for the players to know how to get to the "especially entertaining" bit of the dungeon isn't railroading anyone into anything. Me starting my last Prince Valiant session by establishing a scene that was salient for both knight PCs, the squire PC and the travelling entertainer PC wasn't railroading anyone into anything.

Nor does framing scenes with an eye to them being exciting and engaging rather than not have anything to do with "plot protection". (Which may or may not be a bad thing, although it's weird for someone who plays only D&D, which has at the heart of its resolution system the most famous plot-protection mechanic of all time - hit points - to say that it's undesirable.)

pemerton

Legend
I once had a player ask me to leave the table so the group could plan how to sneak into a castle (or some such) without tipping their hand to me. My response was something along the lines of "Can you use this mini to show me where your last GM touched you?" I was totally floored by the request and found it highly inappropriate.
This wouldn't both me except from the practical point of view that if it goes on for very long then I might get bored.

But I certainly think nothing of a situation in which two players discuss ideas among themselves while I'm dealing with another player. And I know that sometimes my players come up with plans over email between sessions that I'm not privy to. This isn't a big thing in games without wargaming elements (eg Prince Valiant) but I know they do it for 4e, which does have a significant wargaming element in the context of combat resolution. Just as I don't tell them in advance everything that I'm planning to do with my NPCs and monsters, so I've got no objection to them wanting to keep their tactical ideas secret until they come out in play.

Burning Wheel - another system that we play - uses various resolution systems that depend on blind scripting. If it's PC vs NPC, then I script for the NPC while the player scripts for his/her PC. It's absolutely the players' prerogative to keep the script secret from me until the rules call for revelation; and I take it for granted that players might discuss their scripting among themselves, just as I might call on an uninvolved player to help me with my NPC's script.

(Because I'm a bad wargamer with a poor poker face, while some of my players are pretty good at this stuff, that means my BW NPCs often find themselves a bit hosed. C'est la vie!)

In my games, I am not only fine with players arguing rules, I expect them to. I will often lean on them when I come across an uncommon situation. Many of my players play much more than I do and have a firmer grasp of some of the rules, especially how spells work. If the RAW is unclear, I'll ask, how do you want to do this?
The last example I can remember like this - that is, where it wasn't just about working out how a rule works, but making a choice about how to handle an unclear case - was the 4e dazed rules. If a character starts the turn dazed (ie limited to one action), and then has the condition lifted during his/her turn, does s/he get to take additional actions before his/her turn ends?

The first time this came up we talked about it and decided yes. (I think to the benefit of the PCs.) Then some time quite a bit later it came up again, involving a NPC, but there was some reason why our original ruling really didn't seem to make sense in the context. (I can't remember now what that reason was.) So we discussed again and decided that your suite of available actions is settled in the start-of-turn phase, and having daze be lifted after that made no differenced - and I also told them that I wasn't going to have any flip-flopping on this new ruling when it came back to bite their PCs!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've found this discussion/debate about the role of Perception and similar checks quite interesting.
I kinda thought you might... :)

And apropos of the immediately above, this is just nonsense. Gygax deciding that the it would be fun for the players to know how to get to the "especially entertaining" bit of the dungeon isn't railroading anyone into anything. Me starting my last Prince Valiant session by establishing a scene that was salient for both knight PCs, the squire PC and the travelling entertainer PC wasn't railroading anyone into anything.
In and of itself, I'm sure it wasn't.

My point was more that once a DM starts concerning herself with what's good for the story ahead of concerning herself with just running the game, it's not a big leap from there for a DM to start deciding on her own what's good for the story and then forcing the story to go there; with player choice largely going out the window. Railroading. Usually considered as not desireable.

Nor does framing scenes with an eye to them being exciting and engaging rather than not have anything to do with "plot protection". (Which may or may not be a bad thing, although it's weird for someone who plays only D&D, which has at the heart of its resolution system the most famous plot-protection mechanic of all time - hit points - to say that it's undesirable.)
I was talking about the kind of plot protection that comes once those hit points run out. Once a DM starts concerning herself with what's good for the story ahead of concerning herself with just running the game, it's not a big leap from there for a DM to want to make sure the protagonists - the PCs - stick around for the sake of continuity, and not get killed; and then to act on this desire by in effect not allowing PCs to die or otherwise get taken out of action even when they otherwise would. Plot protection. Often seen as not desireable.

It's a long slippery slope, and not all DMs end up sliding all the way down it. But to know it exists is useful in itself.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases