D&D 5E Obsolete Classes From Previous Editions

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title say. What classes from previous editions are obsolete in 5E. This is not a I don't like this class thread but what classes are already covered in 5E.

For example the Battle Master is a good 5E class but a poor warlord so you could make a 5E warlord as concepually it's not covered.

The following 3 classes IMHO are obsolete.

1. Healer. The healer was a bad 3.5 class and in 5E you have the life cleric which obsoletes the class. I suppose you could thematically have a non religious class that heals but it's kind of pointless mechanically.

2. Beguiler. Another 3.5 class from the PHB 2. I liked this class a lot in 3.5 but the lore bard basically covers it. It's not an exact match but they both cast illusion and enchantment type spells and wear light armor and you could build a lore bard that conceptually duplicates the Beguiler.

3. Crusader (2E). The crusader was a priest in 2E with different spells than the cleric, fighter THACO and better weapons plus a few granted abilities. The war cleric does everything the crusader did and then some it just lacks equivalent s of the crusaders granted abilities. It's very very close otherwise.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Assassin - covered by the Rogue archetype
Illusionist - covered by the School of Illusion
Cavalier - covered by multiple Fighter and Paladin subclasses

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Most of the classes from 1e Oriental Adventures. Not only is there an unnecessary Samurai subclass, but the Noble/Knight background in combination with any warrior class covers it nicely. The Bushi is also obviated by any warrior class. Kensei? We've got a Monk subclass. Yakuza? Rogue. Ninja? Rogue or Shadow Monk. The Wu Jen? Wizard (all you need are some of the cool OA spells and you're good).

Zardnaar

Legend
Most of the classes from 1e Oriental Adventures. Not only is there an unnecessary Samurai subclass, but the Noble/Knight background in combination with any warrior class covers it nicely. The Bushi is also obviated by any warrior class. Kensei? We've got a Monk subclass. Yakuza? Rogue. Ninja? Rogue or Shadow Monk. The Wu Jen? Wizard (all you need are some of the cool OA spells and you're good).

Always hated Samurai. Just a fighter with a cultural advantage/background.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So you are saying the Beguiler is obsolete because it exists in a loose 5e translation as the lore bard? The only thing that is obsolete about ti then is the name, if the conceptual guts of the class (as opposed to the mechanical guts) already exists in a core book.

Saying it would be a duplicate means the concept is going well, not obsolete. It just means we don't need to add it because it's already here.

Same for Healer as Life Cleric. And Crusader / War Cleric. None are obsolete, we already have them.

E

Elderbrain

1) Assassin - has a special Death attack. Unless the Rogue gets that, that doesn't cut it.
2) Illusionists are supposed to be better at illusion spells than other Wizards who take spells from the Illusion school.
3) Have to crack open my old books but pretty sure they got powers not covered by Fighter or Paladin.

Basically, it's about the powers, not the name. Give me the ability to create a character with Monk-style powers and abilities, and I won't complain that there is no specific class CALLED "Monk". But leave those powers out of the game, and I'll be an unhappy camper. And it can't be a half-donkeyed attempt, either. No Death attack? Not an Assassin in my book. A killer, sure... but not an Assassin.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
4e has several:

The avenger- replaced by paladin of vengeance.
The invoker- folded into cleric; doesn't have much of an identity distinct from it, so...
The warden- replaced by oath of the ancients paladin.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases