D&D General If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be?

Oofta

Legend
The machine gun (or gatling gun) fire is an interesting question especially depending on genre. If I did my D&D Fallout ripoff homage, there are some builds that will be able to slap on power armor and just tank it. For other genres I like the idea of going prone ... or maybe you get a saving throw because you're ducking down behind cover but jump up quick enough? Or special abilities? I'm thinking that scene in Wonder Woman where she just takes the hits which would be cool if you have a magic/adamantine shield.

The other main area I see that I'd have to come up with new stuff would be hacking for modern day/future scenarios and possibly machine repair. I don't want to get too carried away with that kind of stuff, but basic things like bypassing electronic locks and hacking automated turrets/robots.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The machine gun (or gatling gun) fire is an interesting question especially depending on genre. If I did my D&D Fallout ripoff homage, there are some builds that will be able to slap on power armor and just tank it. For other genres I like the idea of going prone ... or maybe you get a saving throw because you're ducking down behind cover but jump up quick enough? Or special abilities? I'm thinking that scene in Wonder Woman where she just takes the hits which would be cool if you have a magic/adamantine shield.
There's no end of possibilities. And, you can do it on the player side by adding options (like a "Dive for Cover" use of your Reaction, say), or on the "monster" side by giving them special abilities that impose genre conventions (like being knocked prone if in the beaten zone, but missed), and/or just be resolving and narrating things in accord with genre tropes.

The other main area I see that I'd have to come up with new stuff would be hacking for modern day/future scenarios and possibly machine repair. I don't want to get too carried away with that kind of stuff, but basic things like bypassing electronic locks and hacking automated turrets/robots.
In 5e you can be pretty profligate about adding new tools and tool use proficiencies.

Urriak

Explorer
Ok, I’m making an official request. Can you all please take this realism discussion to a different thread. I’ll also note that saying how/why D&D sucks for genre X is threadcapping because it’s directly against the point of this thread in the OP.

Thank you.

Guys the OP has requested you stop arguing about something unrelated to his original intent. Can one of you just start your own thread and continue this there (since it will clearly never end)?

MarkB

Legend

One option here is to give computers a set of mental ability scores and skill proficiencies, and then make hacking a series of Persuasion / Deception / Sleight of Hand / Stealth checks as suits the chosen access method and desired result.

Satyrn

First Post
Guys the OP has requested you stop arguing about something unrelated to his original intent. Can one of you just start your own thread and continue this there (since it will clearly never end)?

Edit: Oops. I didn't mean to quote you Matthia.

One option here is to give computers a set of mental ability scores and skill proficiencies, and then make hacking a series of Persuasion / Deception / Sleight of Hand / Stealth checks as suits the chosen access method and desired result.
I like how that mirrors the recent rules that give vehicles the physical ability scores, and it gives a natural way to create KITT.

Oofta

Legend
Edit: Oops. I didn't mean to quote you Matthia.

I like how that mirrors the recent rules that give vehicles the physical ability scores, and it gives a natural way to create KITT.

Great. Now I have flashbacks of David Hasselhoff and leather. So much leather. So much Hasselhoff.

Oofta

Legend

I was thinking more along the lines of alternate ability scores for hacking. Use intelligence instead of charisma or dexterity. That way opening a lock could use the same skill but still be logical for what ability score you're using.

Depends on the genre though, are you going for more-or-less current tech or something with real AI? Real AI (like Fallout) I could see persuasion / deception working.

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION] speaking of Hasselhoff ... not necessarily SFW, but if you want a really good dose of the Hoffster, google Hasselhoff Sharpei. Just be warned, the images may haunt your dreams.

Satyrn

First Post
I'd still totally give computers the mental ability scores. Like, at its most basic, its Intelligence would measure it's actual computing power, how well or quickly it does the stuff is supposed to do. This would be the computer's attack stat if it's in control of any turrets, or whatever.

Wisdom could measure how aware it is in terms of recognizing hacking attempts against it (or even noticing physical, meatspace threats of it's hooked up to security cameras, etc).

Then Charisma could measure how well it protects itself against threats, and it would be against this that a hacker would be actively attacking.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases