RPG Attack Site Closes As Author Outs Himself

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's ironic how people will latch onto pathetic, shallow arguments they find on the Internet to justify hatred, and then think their gullibility is a sign of their innate superiority.

Jack Chick and BADD didn't even need the internet.

(Since politics are off topic, some D&D-history examples.)

Thanks to the internet, we then got The Great Roll vs Role Debate, GNS, The Edition War, Zak S, and now, this guy.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I had a look at my library on Drivethru and I don't have any of the company's products.

However, it turns out I am a backer of the guy's latest kickstarter. When asked about it in the kickstarter comments (not by me) he says he is not behind the YRPGiS site and doesn't understand how the situation could have arisen.

I find myself in the same boat, except that I had actually picked up some of his stuff for Dungeon World. Which is extra confusing if it really is the same guy as YRPGIS had posts hating on Dungeon World as well.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I had a look at my library on Drivethru and I don't have any of the company's products.

However, it turns out I am a backer of the guy's latest kickstarter. When asked about it in the kickstarter comments (not by me) he says he is not behind the YRPGiS site and doesn't understand how the situation could have arisen.

His company website has been taken down. Is the KS still running?

His company website has been taken down. Is the KS still running?
Yes it is. Other than that one comment this issue seems to have passed the Kickstarter by. I had an update this morning, which I thought might have been a clarification or apology or denial or, you know, something, but instead it was basically "what do you think about our elves?"

aramis erak

Legend
To me, it's not the hate that's surprising and disheartening. It's always been there.

It's that people are so comfortable expressing it in public. I find that shocking, and fairly new.

4NVPovL.gif
Fairly new? Hardly.
People actually acting as if it is offensive, that's the new thing.

I spent several years as the only white boy in a black neighborhood. Hate was open. It was the 1970s...

KKK members wore clan emblems openly, even in Alaska, on their day to day.
Various "Respond to hate with hate" groups were present - mostly formed in the 60's.
Many unions were strongly ethnic.
The N word (for African AMericans) wasn't censored on TV. Nor the K word (vs jews), S (for Mexicanos), D (for lesbians), F (for gay males), but the other F word (from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) was

Doug McCrae

Legend
The worst thing about the internet is that it allows people in niche groups to reach out and connect with others like them. Anti-vaxxers, racist, and conspiracy theorist go out on the internet and connect with others who reinforce their beliefs.
The Christchurch shooter's 'manifesto' spends a couple of paragraphs describing how beneficial the internet has been to white supremacist fascists like himself.

I don't want to be off-topic, but I guess we can use the speculative fiction and the RPGs like a way to promote ethic values like the respect of the human dignity.

I am Spanish, we are half-blood people and we don't shame about that (but by other things). We are a land of emigrants and immigrants, we see the both sides of the matter.

Do you remember the old stories of Robin Hood with the old conflict between anglo-saxons and anglo-normands? and who cares about this now? (Do you remember the 1991 movie with Uma Thurman as Lady Marian?)

After the fall of the Roman empire the Goths arrived to Spain and they become the rulers. The relations between Hispano-Latinos and Hispano-Goths weren't very good. Both communities had got their own legal codes, and mixed marriage was forbidden. Step by step this last one started to be allowed, and in the end both became one nation, the Spanish.

Life has many ups and down. Two thousands years ago the (Mediterranean-)Latinos were the supreme power and the blue-eyed+blond-haired from the North Europe were the third world, the underdeveloped regions.

You can enjoy the free speech to report the wrong actions by other people, but I advise when you criticize then do it with the same tone like somebody of your own family or town, to show what to be fixed or improved, not to promote hate like toxic people. Don't worry about genetic code by your descendents, maybe they will be half-blood (most likely in the cosmopolitan capital cities), but about their moral values.

Reporting racism, homophobia, or machism (male chauvinism) isn't enough. We have to defend the respect of the human dignity, the pillar of our rights, or we will fall in the dark side of the Force, the rebel against authority will become a new tyrant. Nietzsche said: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster".

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You can enjoy the free speech to report the wrong actions by other people, but I advise when you criticize then do it with the same tone like somebody of your own family or town, to show what to be fixed or improved, not to promote hate like toxic people. Don't worry about genetic code by your descendents, maybe they will be half-blood (most likely in the cosmopolitan capital cities), but about their moral values.

Reporting racism, homophobia, or machism (male chauvinism) isn't enough. We have to defend the respect of the human dignity, the pillar of our rights, or we will fall in the dark side of the Force, the rebel against authority will become a new tyrant. Nietzsche said: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster".

[video=youtube;cPtMgsN8Tpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtMgsN8Tpo[/video]

aramis erak

Legend
The Christchurch shooter's 'manifesto' spends a couple of paragraphs describing how beneficial the internet has been to white supremacist fascists like himself.

True, but those same tools allow less reasonable-to-suppress groups to organize, too.

I've gotten to game with some neat folks I'd never have found without internet. Both FTF and via VOIP.

Likewise, the SCA in the the Pacific Northwest (US & Canada; the Kingdom of Antir) makes extensive use of facebook for various local and regional communications.

The LGBTQ community has benefitted as well.

And female gamers. And those gamers who don't care for D&D. Heck, even those who do care for D&D.

Generally, the balance is for the better.

Plus, sites like his eventually result in the haters being doxxed and/or sued...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases