Generating Better Character Names

Games masters and players alike struggle with character names, settling for a thief named “Bilbo”, a wizard named “Harry” or “Dave the Fighter”. When faced with a group that reverses nearby objects for characters resulting in “Lemarac” or “Reeb”, then it’s time to consider other options. Fantasy names tend to be weird and varied, ranging from the made-up, hard to pronounce (“Xygag”) to the real world (“St Cuthbert”), with many in-between as something recognizable but modified.

Games masters and players alike struggle with character names, settling for a thief named “Bilbo”, a wizard named “Harry” or “Dave the Fighter”. When faced with a group that reverses nearby objects for characters resulting in “Lemarac” or “Reeb”, then it’s time to consider other options. Fantasy names tend to be weird and varied, ranging from the made-up, hard to pronounce (“Xygag”) to the real world (“St Cuthbert”), with many in-between as something recognizable but modified.

All of the Names
Characters often have multiple names, sporting ones for nicknames, families and ancient tribes. Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition tries to help players with suggested names for all their races. Luckily Fantasy Name Generator covers all of these, with generators by the hundred. Character name for a Game of Thrones? Eight generators under Pop Culture. Danish, Swedish or Norwegian needed for a pseudo-Viking setting? All there under Real Names. Other holes are covered by Fantasy Names, and check-out one for “My Little Pony” I intend to use for a random unicorn generator.

Each generator has detailed notes covering how names are created and sourced, with bits of lore for world-building and how to use the names. It also shows the dedication of the creator to the work of generating names.

The Name List Method
A GM can Look prepared to players by preparing one or more lists of names ahead. Use them for the road, tavern or temple, or as a prisoner, passenger or outraged pickpocket victim. They can cross names off as they go for each NPC and their players will be thinking every NPC is important.

For some campaigns I’ll have separate name lists for the common races of a region, but in other campaigns I’ll have just two lists, one for male and one for female. Perfect for this is Chaotic Shiny’s The Fantasy Name Generator, which offers a simple list of useful fantasy names for male or female, creating ten each time.

Check out the many other well-thought out generators on your visit, including several others for names. Most are game neutral and range from the very specific to the widely useful.

Names by Length and Consonants
Our final generator at Rinkworks steers away from names by culture, instead giving options by length or number of vowels. Over 100 names get generated each time so users can pick and choose their favourites.

Options for name length include short (“Nuk”), medium (“Yoroth”) and long (“Enthwarmos”). Names can be filled with vowels (“Antoelli”) , with consonants (“Thristen”), or alternate them (“Zilomos”). If desired a name can be filled with apostrophes or dashes.

More Generators
What are your favourite name generators? Which parts of a campaigns do you want covered in the future?

S

Sunseeker

When I'm naming human NPCs in a setting, I typically use baby name books for the culture I based that nation/city/area from. When it comes to non-humans, fantasy name generators are usually where I go. Some are better than others.

Had a guy once with a list of "sounds" and you rolled a d100 X amount of times and then put your name together in that order. Sometimes it made good names, sometimes it didn't. I think there's a real risk, especially in naming NPCs, of making everyone have "cool" or even "good" names. Some kids don't get named Bartholomew, they get named "Bart". Some families don't have cool last names. I think "bad" names are necessary to give the "good" names more value and more validity as part of the setting.

Nothing wrong with "Bob, Slayer of Kobolds!" Not everyone needs to be epic.

aramis erak

Legend
Rogaine the Bald? Thorazine the Unbalanced?

My favorite thing to do in my own campaign world is to have cultures loosely modeled on real human cultures. Names from those cultures then fit the characters fairly well and reinforce that. Certainly this needs to be done carefully or it gets cheesy, but it definitely helps avoid some of the problems of just letting things float and having "Paul the Samurai" or "Eiderdown Dingleberry". A similar strategy is to just use some more exotic names or languages as a source. One person I know uses altered Hebrew names and I've done that with Mongolian.

Thorazine the Sleepy and Thorazine the Mellow are both names I've used for NPC wizards.

I'm tempted to use Rogain the Hairy...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That's a good one. I'll have to remember it!
I remember an old D&D game I was in where about half the players on the 1992-93 Vancouver Canucks showed up as NPC names.

Another very quick and easy way to generate names is to take an existing name and change just one or two letters. So, Michael could become Bishael or Micrall or Mechrel or Michard or...

Lanefan

Remove ads

Remove ads