Gale Force Nine Sign Master License for Dune ‘Games’; Modiphius Designing RPG!

Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.

Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.

Unknown.jpg

(Cover of the Last Unicorn/WotC Dune RPG; 2000)​

The license agreement, with Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC, allows Gale Force Nine to produce tabletop games covering the length and breadth of the Dune franchise, including the novels of Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, as well as the upcoming Dune movie directed by Denis Villeneuve.

The agreement allows GF9 to work with other game companies on various projects, across a number of categories. The first of these to be announced is with Modiphius Entertainment, who have a track record of working with licensed properties such as Star Trek, John Carter of Mars, Fallout and Kung Fu Panda. Modiphius will be developing a new Dune tabletop RPG, slated for release in late 2019. This will be the first time Dune has appeared as an RPG since the Last Unicorn/Wizards of the Coast edition which appeared as a limited edition run in 2000.

The full range of tabletop games, including board and miniature games, are slated to hit the market just prior to Legendary’s theatrical release of Villeneuve’s Dune in 2020.

vivsavage

Explorer
I really hope this turns out to be a successful line. That said, the 2d20 rule system would probably preclude me from playing it. Please don't shoehorn Dune into an existing system; rules should be crafted for the setting, a la The One Ring.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
It's hard to imagine it has taken this long for someone to pick up this awesome IP but I'm glad they did. Also love that Modiphius got the nod for the RPG. They have really been putting out some excellent games and the quality is top notch.

There have been other Dune RPGs. Last Unicorn Games had both Star Trek and Dune about 20 years ago. I'm not sure what happened but the deal fell apart. I suspect that the Herbert Estate is painful to deal with, but really don't know. I too like Modiphius' games. I've played STA and very briefly run Conan and very much enjoyed the 2D20 system, which I think could be a very good fit for a dramatic game that has a good bit of combat in it.

Jay Verkuilen

I really hope this turns out to be a successful line. That said, the 2d20 rule system would probably preclude me from playing it. Please don't shoehorn Dune into an existing system; rules should be crafted for the setting, a la The One Ring.

2D20 system games have been pretty customized. It's really a task resolution system, not so much a unified system per se. For instance, Conan has different stats than STA. I personally think it would be a very good fit for Dune, but would be interested in your reasoning why you don't.

Jay Verkuilen

Dune, done properly, could make for a really rich, dark future SF setting.

Fading Suns was clearly strongly influenced by Dune. It had a lot of great material. The system was shaky, though. I'd have been much happier playing or running it with something like 2D20, that's for sure.

vivsavage

Explorer
2D20 system games have been pretty customized. It's really a task resolution system, not so much a unified system per se. For instance, Conan has different stats than STA. I personally think it would be a very good fit for Dune, but would be interested in your reasoning why you don't.
I'm probably not being fair. My only 2d20 experience is Conan, for which I have a marked dislike. It is far too involved for something that should play fast and loose (IMHO). So that system has be really soured on 2d20. Perhaps John Carter will change my mind.

Jay Verkuilen

I'm probably not being fair. My only 2d20 experience is Conan, for which I have a marked dislike. It is far too involved for something that should play fast and loose (IMHO). So that system has be really soured on 2d20. Perhaps John Carter will change my mind.

Conan with all the trimmings is indeed pretty complicated, although I think once the players know how it works it'd be faster than many other pretty detailed combat-heavy games (e.g., Exalted). If you run without hit location and some other things it's not as fiddly. Still, Dune has a good bit of detailed combat scenes and the like so I think it probably would need to have some detail, at least as optional rules. STA is definitely much more loose.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Man I would still like to get my hands on the Last Unicorn/WotC version that never saw the light of day. The little bit of the artwork that got revealed looked SO GOOD!

Dire Bare

Legend
Man I would still like to get my hands on the Last Unicorn/WotC version that never saw the light of day. The little bit of the artwork that got revealed looked SO GOOD!

Oh, it saw the light of day . . . and then scurried back into darkness! There was a very limited print run being sold at the GenCon 2000, which I attended and will forever regret not purchasing!!!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads