More Details About RPGSports Emerge

I had a short chat with Will Jones about RPGSports, the online competitive D&D event which was announced recently, and he was kind enough to answer a few questions about how the contest, which starts on November 10th, works.

Ads-RPG-Sports-768x402.png

Is RPGSports a team event, or is it geared at individuals?

It’s a team event! There are 16 players total with 4 on each team. A lot of these folks are from competitive eSports backgrounds and are newer to Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, but boy have they been reading up! It’s been great to see the teams come together and support one another. Experienced players have been taking the time to sit down with the newer ones and give them advice. They’ve been getting together for practice games and honing the craft. The format may be competitive, but the team work we’ve seen before the game has even begun has made me incredibly proud to see.

What's the basic format of RPGSports? Do characters fight each other, or do groups compete against each other to achieve some sort of goal?

In this first tournament teams compete against one another in a Team Deathmatch style game of 4v4. We’ve heard a lot of requests to run “Dungeon runs” - eg. racing through the Tomb of Horrors to see which team can get through fastest. Different formats are absolutely on our radar for 2019.

What sort of challenges might participants be expected to face? What would the victory conditions look like?

Aside from facing off against the other team, you can expect to see deadly traps, environmental hazards and more. There’s an element of strategy in looking for & disabling traps, while evading the environmental hazards that enter the game as time passes by. The primary win condition is to eliminate all 4 enemy PCs at the same time. If there’s no winner at the end of the match time, we look to other statistics that our analysts are tracking to decide the winner, or can even go into overtime.

You mention a $5,000 prize. Is that the only prize, or are there smaller prizes also?

It’s winner takes all, I’m afraid! Oh, and the winning team gets a big gaudy trophy too. We had to have a trophy. Aside from that though we are sending all of the players dice, shirts and other swag just for taking part.

You changed name from DnDSports to RPGSports recently. What other RPGs do you plan to include?

The table is very open for other TTRPGs to be added to our roster. If anything, it’s a matter of narrowing down some of the games which would work best for RPGSports, rather than having to choose from a small selection. The audience have already suggested dozens of RPGs, but right now we’re focused on getting this first event right before planning too far in advance.

Is RPGSports a one-off event, or an ongoing thing?

We plan for this be an ongoing tournament format in 2019. We’ve been overwhelmed with requests to play and get involved, it’s been incredible. There are even gaming stores interested in taking part in some kind of larger league. All of this is obviously very exciting, but it’s not something we want to dive into without proper structure. You can expect to hear more details from us in the coming year!

When using 5E D&D, do you have a list of pregenerated characters? How many, and what classes and races are covered?

There are 15 Pregenerated characters which have been limited to PHB content for this first tournament. One of the reasons for this is to not overwhelm some newer gamers, while the other is for balance. Giving our team control of the pregens has allowed us to make sure there’s no super overpowered meta build!

The format also features a pick/ban phase which allows teams to ban out a potentially powerful class.

We’ve got a good range of the races & classes in there, and it’s up to the teams to assess which Pregens are the best and how to best utilise their toolset.

Do you already have participants? How would a potential competitor enter?

For this first tournament the participants are already selected for the event, but in the future we definitely see an application process being put in place. Again, that’s in our 2019 plans but we definitely want to make this accessible to the general public.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I've been skeptical about this since its announcement, but bringing eSports "VIPs" as a selling point? We really don't want to bring the toxic elements of eSports to the TTRPG community, do we?

Also, I still think that a d20 system won't really work for a "hardcore" gaming environment as a d20 roll is far too much RNG to have the "best team" win and not the one with the most lucky streaks. Especially when it comes to 5e in comparison to a much more balanced system, like 4e.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
RPGSports lost any interest for me when they caved to specific toxic elements and disinvited boogie, who had never agreed in the first place.

Arksorn

First Post
Super excited for this! Going to try my hand at running something similar. 1 spot open for the first game at 8pm CT on Nov 5th, and we'll take some backups too. If interested, email me at tgchristy@att.net to get on the list or get more info (or look for #d20compete on twitter)!

Aoirorentsu

Explorer
Here are my first seven concerns, expressed as ideas that seem baked into this and that also seem like bad ideas IMHO

1) "let's take a game community that has been making efforts to be more inclusive and inject into it a good old helping of eSports toxicity and/or the perception thereof"

2) "let's take a game that's been making efforts to be less balanced, in the name of story, and make a tournament whose legitimacy hinges on the perception that it is utterly fair"

3) "let's take a game where large portions of the effects are specifically and intentionally left up to DM discretion and make a non-zero amount of money on the DM being fair."

4) "let's take a game that is only fun to watch when the people playing inject a ton of personality into it and turn it into a spectator sport played by people whose expertise is not injecting personality into things."

5) "let's take a game whose rules have NOT been specifically iterated upon for a competitive play experience and make it compete with any number of games that are in continuous development for that precise purpose."

6) "let's take a competition whose spectator appeal is predicated on display of skill and mastery where the one place of interesting rules mastery per se - i.e., character builds - is not an option."

7) "let's take a competition whose spectator appeal is predicated on cool visuals... and do one where the visual are mostly static shots of folks sitting or standing around a table."

And oh gods please let there not be dumb color commentary...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
D&D was never about PvP or speed runs (aside from some exceptions that someone will inevitably bring up). It was about the narrative. So this will not work.

I've been skeptical about this since its announcement, but bringing eSports "VIPs" as a selling point? We really don't want to bring the toxic elements of eSports to the TTRPG community, do we?
Im skeptical too. But it not like we, or anyone really, have any say what others do. They don't need our permission and we certainly don't get a vote, other than with if we chose to watch.

pemerton

Legend
D&D was never about PvP or speed runs (aside from some exceptions that someone will inevitably bring up).
Well, you said it was inevitable . . .

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan is a tournament module that is almost literally a "speed run" - if you don't make it out of the first level in time you lose! (Because your PC dies.)

PvP is a different matter. I don't know of any well-established tradition, other than "my guy can beat your guy" playground-style arguments. Of the various editions of D&D, 3E and 5e seem best suited to PvP.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases