A new edition of Vampire in Stores?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The "fifth" edition of Vampire is supposed to be showing up in stores. Wondering if anyone has seen it, or has thoughts on it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It came out at Gen Con. I've seen a couple of reviews around the web, mainly positive.

Nytmare

David Jose
I picked up a copy a couple weeks ago, and though I've only had a chance to breeze through it, I was... I don't know if impressed is quite the right word, but it comes close. The subject matter seems a lot different from what I remember in college. Less about sexy, super powered political machinations and more about wrestling with a loss of humanity and exploring the horrors of a modern world that a late 90s version of me couldn't have dreamed of. The book feels more mature, but more than that, the book paints its world with the brushes the last decade have provided, and I just don't know how much escape a game like this will provide.

I'm also not entirely sure if I like the art. The book uses a lot of photography, and though I didn't see anything that bothered me (and saw a LOT that I liked) it reminded me of the old Vampire Larp book and a hundred other cheap 90s/early 00s RPG books that were packed with snapshots of college kids in their Ren Faire attire. Again, I didn't see anything offensive, but I was sure each time I turned the page it was going to be two dudes in jeans and teeshirts, each sporting a single piece of chainmail apparel, having a sword fight in a dorm hallway.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I picked up a copy a couple weeks ago, and though I've only had a chance to breeze through it, I was... I don't know if impressed is quite the right word, but it comes close. The subject matter seems a lot different from what I remember in college. Less about sexy, super powered political machinations and more about wrestling with a loss of humanity and exploring the horrors of a modern world that a late 90s version of me couldn't have dreamed of. The book feels more mature, but more than that, the book paints its world with the brushes the last decade have provided, and I just don't know how much escape a game like this will provide.

I looked at some of reviews, and there seems to be a refocus on the blood sucking monster part of the game, which I think was often downplayed, at least in play, in the games 90s heyday.

Sadras

Legend
I'm also not entirely sure if I like the art. The book uses a lot of photography, and though I didn't see anything that bothered me (and saw a LOT that I liked) it reminded me of the old Vampire Larp book and a hundred other cheap 90s/early 00s RPG books that were packed with snapshots of college kids in their Ren Faire attire. Again, I didn't see anything offensive, but I was sure each time I turned the page it was going to be two dudes in jeans and teeshirts, each sporting a single piece of chainmail apparel, having a sword fight in a dorm hallway.

My friend got a copy and he seriously is not impressed with the art - he showed me the Ventrue pic and one other, I forget. Pretty bad I thought. I'm curious to see the rest of the artwork myself. Cannot really judge on two pics alone

Remove ads