Broadcast TV- Renewals, Cancellations

Ryujin

Legend
Bored out of my skull from the mass-production of trash coming out of Hollywood, I've started watching some foreign series on Netflix.

German: Parfum (Perfume book and movie), Dark (reminds me of Stranger Things)
Turkish: Diriliş: Ertuğrul (Last Kingdom-ish) - only just started this, so won't vouch for it yet.
Israeli: Fauda (think Homeland-like)

"The Protectot" (Turkish series on Netflix) is also pretty good, though I haven't watched season 2 yet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
With a little help from the Star Trek rights-holders not suing them!

If you didn't see lawsuits flying about DS9 vs B5, you wouldn't see them here. The shared ideas are very general, and copyright only applies to specific expressions. Everyone can see the homage, but not so much any direct copying.

Also, given the involvement of Brannon Braga, I am pretty sure The Orville folks know exactly where the line is.

Ryujin

Legend
If you didn't see lawsuits flying about DS9 vs B5, you wouldn't see them here. The shared ideas are very general, and copyright only applies to specific expressions. Everyone can see the homage, but not so much any direct copying.

Also, given the involvement of Brannon Braga, I am pretty sure The Orville folks know exactly where the line is.

As long as it's not using actual Trek brands you could point to any number of inspirational sources, for most of the stuff that they do.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Y
That said, I am quite sure that the attorneys looked over the helpful list that was used in the Axanar suit, and did not use anything from that list Paramount used.*

Have you looked at that list? It isn't like, "You have things that vaguely resemble Vulcans." It is, "You have things specifically called Vulcans, that look and act the same, have the same culture, and *have the same personal names* as character in copyrighted materials."

Axanar was not people making something broadly inspired by Trek, or an homage. They were making Trek fanfic in movie form, with *explicit* reference to things in the copyrighted works.

Avoiding things on that list is *easy*.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Did you? Seriously, because it was a clearly infringing work (HA! FAIR USE MY POSTERIOR!) it was easy, but look a little closer-

Uniform with gold shirt
Cowl Neck w/ Insignia
Triangular Medals on uni

All with images that showed how very, very similar to the original the Axanar use was. I mean, really, anyone looking at it can see that they're intended to be the same.

A Spacedock with a similar appearance

More than "similar".

Ship designs (speaking of generic ships)

There are no "generic" ships on the list that I can see. There are very specifically Federation, Klingon, and Vulcan ships, following visual designs set in canon Trek sources.

Use of terms (stardates)
Warp Drive
Transporters
Phasers

All specific terms made up for Trek. Of course you can't use 'em. The Orville even avoids using a mechanism similar to a transporter - they get everywhere via shuttle. Ray guns and FTL drives are all over the fiction, no problem there.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'll add a plus one for Fauda and Money Heist on Netflix for foreign language stuff. Waiting on season 3 for both. 3% has a good season one and decent season 2.

Sense 8 had good season one, average season 2 but got cancelled.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m struggling with all the Arrowverse superhero shows right now. Flash has lost its sense of fun, Arrow is boring, Legends is just slapstick. Supergirl is currently the best of them.

We watched them and they were alright but dumped the lot. Gotham, Agents, Arrow, Flash all went downhill. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were better but got cancelled. Iron Fist was just bad.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases