D&D 5E What resources do you track in play?

I track food and water loosely, by merely checking that each character has at least eaten twice a day.

When it comes to the weight the players carry, I merely check the characters occasionally for items that may severely weigh them down when they need to perform an action where weight is a factor. I don't want to calculate their exact weight.

I let my players track their own ammo and gunpowder, but I do track if their guns get wet from exposure to water.

Draegn

Explorer
Money, ammunition, expendable materials, the number of illegitimate children left behind and all the link-boys that died.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Boys that carry lanterns.
Haha, right. Does your group use them like a canary while scouting dungeons?

"The link-boy has died, everyone ready your weapons!"

Or perhaps:

"The link-boy has died, everyone step around the pit trap."

Draegn

Explorer
My group hires many "little people" to do the jobs that they deem to be beneath them. When hirelings die or are injured the players pay a weregild to the families.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What we track really varies by party level and-or campaign level.

Always tracked: money to the g.p.; ammunition; magic of any kind; spell components with a g.p. cost; mundane gear carried; special gear carried (e.g. telescope, mirror, compass); oil and holy water; henches and hirelings; pack animals

Tracked at low level only: money to the c.p.; rations; torches; water; mundane gear condition and wear; mundane gear consumed or lost

Rarely tracked: encumbrance (except in the most general of terms, and-or when they're trying to move or carry something excessive)

Once parties get to 5th-ish level or so and can be assumed to have reasonably consistent access to Create Food and Water and Continual Light those things don't often need to be tracked. By then they almost always have more than enough money to repair or replace any faulty or missing mundane gear whenever they're in town, so I'll just handwave a net cost and call it done.

Lan-"hirelings, pack animals - pretty much the same"-efan

Not a resource, but I also track the weather, wind direction, distance traveled, alliances, and the movements of sea monsters in the world.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] I was tracking renown/reputation in our Night Below / Out of the Abyss mashup campaign. Not exactly a resource, but here's an example of what I did with my own adaptation of the Renown rules from the DMG/PHB:

[SECTION]Renown (Cairngorm’s Hollow)
Renown 1: PCs get offers of free services, sporadic free room & board, occasional offers of marriage, or small gifts like a few chickens or a goat.
Renown 2: PCs get consistent free room & board, preferential treatment by guards who overlook minor infractions, and access to special quests from Lady Nydaridien. (land deed, Calrow Ruins).
Renown 3: PCs treated as villagers and brought in on village ritual practices and voting, free modest lifestyle in village, Lady Nydaridien gives free use of horses in livery stables.
Renown 4: PCs receive discounts on special purchases, and are afforded the same level of respect as village elders and Lady Nydaridien herself, gain access to dryad Wyra’s spellcasting service and special downtime activity involving the Wizening Tree rite.[/SECTION]

Remove ads