Matt Colville’s Strongholds and Followers

André Soares

First Post
One important thing I didn't see mentioned is that they plan to update the PDF after hearing the feedback on it... if you have any feedback, you should go to the Matt Colville Reddit page and contribute.

gyor

Legend
There is a fifth category of Stronghold, Castles, more expensive, but worth it over the long wrong, because it's a mix of multiple strongholds.

I think I'd go Castle over the other strongholds everytime.

You want to go Establishment and either Tower, Temple, or Keep. The Establishment pays for the maintance cost of your castle and the other stronghold protects you and your establishment.

5ekyu

Hero
There is a fifth category of Stronghold, Castles, more expensive, but worth it over the long wrong, because it's a mix of multiple strongholds.

I think I'd go Castle over the other strongholds everytime.

You want to go Establishment and either Tower, Temple, or Keep. The Establishment pays for the maintance cost of your castle and the other stronghold protects you and your establishment.

castle to me seemed the obvious "party" option.

Reading through, I'm a little irked so much of the rules seem held back for a forthcoming book available in a year or so IF the Kickstarter funds. Especially when half this book was an adventure...
Couldn't they have put all the rules in one book and then done the adventure(s) separately?

TallIan

Explorer
Reading through, I'm a little irked so much of the rules seem held back for a forthcoming book available in a year or so IF the Kickstarter funds. Especially when half this book was an adventure...
Couldn't they have put all the rules in one book and then done the adventure(s) separately?

The adventure was a stretch goal of the Kickstarter. I think that Matt was trying to ensure the actual goal was reachable by splitting into two sections and underestimated his fan base.

So he was kind of stuck making the adventure.

I do see you point though, but I quite like the look of the adventure as a way to try out the stronghold rules.

Meh. Here's what his website says about the next book:

"Kingdoms & Warfare is a 5th Edition supplement with rules for running countries and organizations like thieves' guilds, churches and wizard colleges, as well as more rules for large scale warfare."

Sounds like a nice follow-up expansion to me and not something I was expecting in the Strongholds and Followers book. The warfare rules in the appendix of this current book are more of a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Also, 50 of the 265 pages are the adventure. An adventure that helps DMs try out the rules as [MENTION=6853819]TallIan[/MENTION] indicates. More like a fifth than a half of the book, but who's counting...

Meh. Here's what his website says about the next book:

"Kingdoms & Warfare is a 5th Edition supplement with rules for running countries and organizations like thieves' guilds, churches and wizard colleges, as well as more rules for large scale warfare."

Sounds like a nice follow-up expansion to me and not something I was expecting in the Strongholds and Followers book. The warfare rules in the appendix of this current book are more of a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Also, 50 of the 265 pages are the adventure. An adventure that helps DMs try out the rules as [MENTION=6853819]TallIan[/MENTION] indicates. More like a fifth than a half of the book, but who's counting...
I just like to be able to USE all the content in the shiny new book I just purchased rather than have some elements rely on DLC, like the barbarian tribes.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I bought the pdf after the KS and I’m about 3/4 through reading it.

It’s competently written. The ideas, concepts, and rules look like they’ll add a layer of expression, power, and discovery without adding much complexity.

I particularly like the “extended rest” concept and the stuff tied to that. I also like the monsters. I can do without the adventure.

I also got sold on the concept of the 24 mile hex.

All in all, I’d say I’ll use about half this stuff without much modding at all. So that’s worth $20 to me.

Remove ads