Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
MST3K raised a little more than Veronica Marsh ($5.76M to $5.70M) and about $600,000 outside Kickstarter.

So far that's the most any video/tv/movie Kickstarter has raised. I think MST3K did about $2 million its first day.

EDIT: Am I reading the Kickstarter correctly? Backing it doesn't actually get you a copy of any of the animation.

Then pledges are for the swag, not a copy of the animation, that is correct. Honestly fairly clever, as it leaves them options in terms of negotiating distribution.

That said 5 million in raised funs seems like a forgone conclusion at this point assuming they don't dry out of rewards and people don't donate just to say they donated to this record.

...We will see.

There are people who will not find out about this kickstarter until tomorrow at 7pm pst when Talks Machina airs or Thursday at 7pm pst when the stream airs again. Not everyone pays attention to twitter or the critical role website (or cnbc or fortune mag's website). There are fans who are in the dark about this who will find out when they next look in on critical role.

Still, I agree $5-6 million is their cap. But I could be wrong.

We will see.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are people who will not find out about this kickstarter until tomorrow at 7pm pst when Talks Machina airs or Thursday at 7pm pst when the stream airs again. Not everyone pays attention to twitter or the critical role website (or cnbc or fortune mag's website). There are fans who are in the dark about this who will find out when they next look in on critical role.

Still, I agree $5-6 million is their cap. But I could be wrong.

We will see.

I dunno what the "cap" might be, but based on observation of various Kickstarters, the average stays arimd the third or fourth tier pledge, as it currently stands. Considering that hundreds of thousands of folks watch, and they are offering legit, exclusive swag...this could go much higher.

I could never get into CR, I tried the first episode of season 2 and found Matt Mercer's longwindedness and the party's meandering about breakfast and whatnot to be grating

But that said they all seem like wonderful people and I'm REALLY happy for them. :D

mortwatcher

Explorer
The rich get richer.... and good for them. They bring so much publicity to the hobby we love, it can only do us good. And I might finally watch something from critical role. I couldn't get into the main show, but animated shorts are usually a lot of fun to watch in a digestible chunks.

dave2008

Legend
MST3K raised a little more than Veronica Marsh ($5.76M to $5.70M) and about $600,000 outside Kickstarter.

So far that's the most any video/tv/movie Kickstarter has raised. I think MST3K did about $2 million its first day.

EDIT: Am I reading the Kickstarter correctly? Backing it doesn't actually get you a copy of any of the animation.

Backers get the first look at the animation before it is released to the general public. The show, as it currently stands, will be free to everyone. The kickstarter is for the money to produce the show (and swag)

John Lynch2

First Post
Not my thing but damn.
Agreed. It's at 3.8 million right now (based on my google conversion of Australian dollars). I expect within a week it will cap out at 5 million with it possibly reaching 10 to 15 million by the end of the backing period. I'd be surprised if it doesn't reach 10 million and I'll be surprised if it surpasses 15 million.

All in all it does look like a very well run kickstarter. It's very up front about the costs and the stretch goals look pretty reasonable. I'd be a bit concerned about the backer rewards as they seem to add up quite quickly to a lot of stuff being sent to the backers. However I'm hopeful that given how professional they've been with everything else that they could get some goodies sorted out properly as well. They look like they've accounted for it which hopefully also means paying wages for someone to put together all of the rewards. So far they've got 4 episodes with no stretch goals beyond 3 million. I expect they'll double check the backer reward costs and the other overheads and then put up some more stretch goals (possibly at 1 million or $750,000 increments instead of $500,000 increments) and then keep chugging along.

Remove ads

Remove ads