A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But you proceeded all this by appealing to how these weapons would work in real life - your own subjective sense of what is "realistic" - and that assertion could be disputed by people who actually know better than you about the subject matter. You are just ignoring reality when it's inconvenient for your game while also appealing to your sense of reality about that same matter.

What I have been saying, and I think you know it, is that we look at real life for the connection and idea of how they work, not exactly how they would work real life. When I look at swords in real life having edges, that's not a subjective interpretation. When I look at swords having hilts in real life, that's not a subjective interpretations. When I look at them being primarily made out of metal in real life, that's not a subjective interpretation. When I look at them getting dinged up when used or the blade dulling, that's not a subjective interpretation. When I look at them breaking during use, more often when not maintained, that's not a subjective interpretation.

After I look at those things when I say that swords in D&D being primarily being made out of metal, and having edges and hilts is realism, that's not a subjective interpretation, either. If I were to then implement a system of weapon degradation and breakage, even if that system did not mirror real life AND if I didn't consult an expert on swords, that would also be a realism increase that is not based on subjective interpretation. Those are examples of realism that are based on facts, not subjectiveness.

pemerton

Legend
I don't think you are missing it. You twist things I say in my posts too consistently for them to be accidents. You know what I mean and do this deliberately.
You are wrong. I don't know what you're defending.

As I already posted, I GMed Rolemaster continuously for about 19 years. As you may know, the slogan for RM is "Get Real, Get Rolemaster". I own and have read dozens of RM rulebooks, containing dozens and dozens of mechanical subsystems. I'm familiar with the concept of "realism" in RPGing.

But I can't make sense of what you're arguing for. For instance, you seem to be saying that RPGs are more realistic than they might otherwise be because they contain such real-world phenomena as objects falling to earth when dropped, or people wielding swords that hurt others when struck by them. That seems to be using, as a criterion of "realism", the presence of real-world phenomena in the fiction.

But you appear to deny that introducing content such as disease, or damaged weaons, as an element of narration increases the realism of the fiction. I don't know why. My sense is that when you deny that GM narration of such things as diseases, maimed limbs, notched weapons, etc is a way of introducing realism you are using a different criterion - one which emphasises mechanical system. (This is what Rolemaster means when it talks about realism. RM eschews GM narration as a way to establish fictional elements.)

You also appear to have asserted that a system for generating RPG content that is triggered by extraneous events - like clocks chiming or feline flatulance - is not a realistic one. And that also seems to be using, as a criterion of "realism", the process whereby the fiction is established.

I don't know how to reconcile what seems to me to be an oscillation between two different criteria for realism. And I don't know how to reconcile either candidate criterion with what seems to be a further claim you're making, nmaley, that any well-intentioned mechanical/dice-oriented system for introducing content is per se an increase in realism, regardless of whether that system and the outcomes it produces correlates in any genuine fashion to reality.

I'm sure you have something in mind that makes sense of all of the above. But I don't know what it is.

One thing I do know is that, despite invitations by me and many other posters to draw distinctinos like the ones I'm drawing - say, between the content of the fiction and the method for generating that content - you have not done so. I don't know why you don't. And the fact that you don't only makes it harder for me to work out what you have in mind.

If I were to then implement a system of weapon degradation and breakage, even if that system did not mirror real life AND if I didn't consult an expert on swords, that would also be a realism increase that is not based on subjective interpretation.
See, the olnly person I know who uses the word "realism" like this is you. Everyone else I know would say that if the system you implement produces unrealistic incidences of swords breaking, then it in fact has not increased realism and may have decreased it.

In your usage, a player who says The game was more realistic without that silly subsystem is literally engaged in self-contradiction. Whereas it strikes me as obvious that a player who says such a thing not only is not engaged in self-contradictio, but might be saying something true!

One of your more recent comments has only confused me all the more, namely, your suggestion that the system of damage dice in D&D is an instance of realism. Because that's not even pointing to a real-world phenomenon. Swords are longer than daggers, and hence give better reach; I suspect they may be better for parrying (for similar reasons). But is a sword twice as "stabby" as a dagger (4.5 vs 2.5 average damage)? What does that question even mean? Damage dice perform a clear function in the game, but the notion that they map "realism" in any serious way is something that I can't even make sense of. And that's before we even get onto the relationship between hit points as a damage mechanic and "realism".

When RM advocates talk about increasing realism I know what they have in mind: more systems that (i) will produce in-fiction events that roughly correlate (in character and frequency) to real-world events, and (ii) involve a granularity of process that more-or-less reflects what happens in the real world, especially as far as key decision-points are concerned. Mere narration doesn't cut it. And it would never occur to them to point to equipement lists with metal longswords on them as evidence of realism: even Tunnels & Trolls has that!

I have a certain fondness for the RM aesthetic. I don't play RM anymore, but two systems that I do play - Burning Wheel and Classic Traveller - have aspects that resemble RM quite closely.

But you aren't advocating for the RM aesthetic. You oscilllate between fictional content and content-generating processes as your criterion for realism. And you seem to deny that realism in any way depends on the relationshiop between the frequency of ingame events and the frequency of their real-world correlates. And you point to stuff that has virtually no meaning outside of its mechanical context - like weapon damage dice - as instances of realism.

When I say that I don't understand what the position is that you're defending, I'm quite sincere.

pemerton

Legend
I can't understand [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] 's reference to playing rolemaster since 1990
Because Rolemaster players feel that being lectured by a D&D player about what realism in RPGing means is like an Australian lecturing a Canadian about what cold and snow are all about.

Or to put it another way: I've done 100s and 100s of hours of process sim RPGing - far more than [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] has. Maxperson has, as far as I know, never played RM, never played RQ, never played C&S, and maybe has played some GURPS or HERO (I can't remember on these last two).

I've been part of a play culture that has a very robust sense of what realism in RPGing means, and that is very conscious of the difference between and relationships between mechanical process and fictional content. And I can't make sense of what Maxperson is saying.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because Rolemaster players feel that being lectured by a D&D player about what realism in RPGing means is like an Australian lecturing a Canadian about what cold and snow are all about.

Or to put it another way: I've done 100s and 100s of hours of process sim RPGing - far more than [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] has. Maxperson has, as far as I know, never played RM, never played RQ, never played C&S, and maybe has played some GURPS or HERO (I can't remember on these last two).

I've been part of a play culture that has a very robust sense of what realism in RPGing means, and that is very conscious of the difference between and relationships between mechanical process and fictional content. And I can't make sense of what Maxperson is saying.

I've played Rolemaster, GURPS(a very small amount) and HERO, but not in a very long time.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But I can't make sense of what you're arguing for. For instance, you seem to be saying that RPGs are more realistic than they might otherwise be because they contain such real-world phenomena as objects falling to earth when dropped, or people wielding swords that hurt others when struck by them. That seems to be using, as a criterion of "realism", the presence of real-world phenomena in the fiction.

That's where realism starts, yes. Those are attempts attempts to model real life happenings.

But you appear to deny that introducing content such as disease, or damaged weaons, as an element of narration increases the realism of the fiction. I don't know why.

I didn't say that. What I said is that you should have mechanics for them. Otherwise they lack sufficient realism(in my opinion) to even bother with. There's no point in telling someone his weapon is dinged up, bent, dull or whatever, if there's no mechanical difference between that weapon and a brand new sharp one.

You also appear to have asserted that a system for generating RPG content that is triggered by extraneous events - like clocks chiming or feline flatulance - is not a realistic one. And that also seems to be using, as a criterion of "realism", the process whereby the fiction is established.

Cat farts and clocks chiming don't cause weapons to break down. Cat farts coming out of the rears of cats and clocks chiming when they hit the hour or half hour would be realism.

In your usage, a player who says The game was more realistic without that silly subsystem is literally engaged in self-contradiction. Whereas it strikes me as obvious that a player who says such a thing not only is not engaged in self-contradictio, but might be saying something true!

Misperception. A player who thinks the game was more realistic without the silly subsystem is misperceiving realism in the game. With no system at all, there is 0 realism involved with that topic. With a system, there is realism involved with that topic. That's an objective increase in realism. Where the misperception is likely coming from is that when there is no system, players often ignore the topic, but when a silly subsystem is used, it brings that topic to the forefront and smacks the players in the face. They're suddenly paying far more attention to that topic, so it SEEMS less realistic when it's really not.

One of your more recent comments has only confused me all the more, namely, your suggestion that the system of damage dice in D&D is an instance of realism.

That isn't what I said. What I said is that D&D making larger and/or heavier weapons do more damage was realistic. They use damage dice as the system to model that, so in the context of the system D&D uses, a d8 for a longsword is more realistic than a d10, because a longsword isn't as large or heavy as the other weapons in the d10 range.

Because that's not even pointing to a real-world phenomenon. Swords are longer than daggers, and hence give better reach; I suspect they may be better for parrying (for similar reasons). But is a sword twice as "stabby" as a dagger (4.5 vs 2.5 average damage)?

It doesn't matter. Can the D&D system be made more realistic by getting into those issues and resolving them close to how real life daggers and swords are? Sure. It's not necessary for the current D&D system to involve realism, though.

But you aren't advocating for the RM aesthetic. You oscilllate between fictional content and content-generating processes as your criterion for realism. And you seem to deny that realism in any way depends on the relationshiop between the frequency of ingame events and the frequency of their real-world correlates. And you point to stuff that has virtually no meaning outside of its mechanical context - like weapon damage dice - as instances of realism.

Rolemaster was fun, but took things too far with regard to realism. I don't D&D to turn into Rolemaster. I don't need a chart for each weapon, dealing with armor from skin to plate and the various hit point damage and crit types depending on what you roll. What's with the number 66 anyway? Why was that number so deadly on the crit charts?

I just showed you with multiple examples pulled from just the first few pages of the PHB that he uses my definition. What's certain is that when he said realism doesn't belong in D&D, is that he meant mirroring reality. The alternative is that he's a hypocrite that said realism doesn't belong in D&D, and then spent page after page after page putting realism into D&D. I don't think he was a hypocrite.

Not sure how you are disagreeing with me. D&D is NOT realistic, both Gary and I agree on that!

To sum up - the more I think about it, I can only think that individuals who enjoy playing with lighter rule sets (for example) believe that their system are realistic; and that's fair. I think that there is just a natural and disconnect going on between how people use terms, and their connotations, that causes a defensiveness - similar to the discussions between wargamers and RPGers more than 40 years ago. When the proper response is simply, "I like what I like, and there are no free lunches. Now, why don't you get back to me with your theories about how more realism is always good after you finish The Campaign for North Africa?" ;)

Just to be amusing, since I have really nothing I want to expand on or disagree with, I actually belonged to a club which played The Campaign for North Africa. They then went on to play a full integrated run of War in the East, War in the West, and War in the Pacific. Ever seen the Earth at 30 miles per hex? She be big.

That same group was bursting with D&D and other RPG players. We happily did all of these things and nobody cared. I had micro-armor, Sea Power, 15mm fantasy armies, etc. We just friggin' loved to ROLL SOME DICE!

Now, there were those Napoleonics guys, they weren't really all that fun... ;)

But it does have a good amount of realism, which he was deeply into based on the rules and statements he makes all throughout the editions he wrote.

I think Gygax, as most game designers of that time and in some respects to this day, believed that there had to be a certain degree of authenticity. He was creating a fantasy RPG with heroes, swords, dragons, dungeons, wizards, etc. It had to reflect an understanding of the genre, and be relatable to real life in some degree, of course. Just like a fantasy novel must. So it is understood that the situations which happen in D&D are 'true to life' in some degree, which does mean realistic. That realism is in the service of play. It makes things comprehensible and relatable. He was uninterested in whether something was realistic per-se. As am I also.

Remove ads