D&D 5E [Forgotten Realms] The Wall of the Faithless

hawkeyefan

Legend
Having a character or even an entire campaign devoted to the tearing down of the Wall of the Faithless is not equal to actually changing the setting anymore than having a character who wants to tear down the Zhentarim or Thay is.

First off, who's to say they will or even can succeed? Perhaps it is just a characteristic of a PC, but is simply beyond him, and he knows it. Perhaps it is a goal that a group of characters seeks, but ultimately fail to achieve.

Second, it's not the single defining characteristic that makes the Forgotten Realms the Forgotten Realms. In fact, I'd say that the Wall of the Faithless would be pretty far down most folks' lists of Forgotten Realms lore.

The Sorcerer Kings of Athas are far more important to that setting than the Wall of the Faithless is to FR, and yet many Dark Sun campaigns are likely devoted to tearing them down. That doesn't change the setting.

Some aspects of any setting are designed to be challenged. You don't see the Wall of the Faithless and by extension the whole FR afterlife structure as being one of those things. I get that...it's a valid view and I can understand why you'd feel that way. However, I think folks have made pretty compelling cases on why the Wall could be one of those setting features that is meant to be challenged.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, if I'm understanding this right, you want to take one of the few truly unique features of Forgotten Realms, of which there are very few, scrap it and turn FR into yet another generic D&DLand?

I mean, if we remove the Wall AND the Fugue Plane, the FR afterlife is pretty much basic Generic Land. No different than Greyhawk or, of course, Planescape's take on the Afterlife.
So your point is that without the Wall of the Faithless, FR is just not *special* anymore? That the only thing saving FR from being Generic Land is the Wall?

That's wrong in two ways:

FR is Special Without the Wall: It wasn't necessary in the Grey Box presentation, in the 4e presentation, and for 99% of the word count for 3e and 5e. The Salvatore novels seem to mostly ignore it. Pretty sure changing the wall changes very little of the rest of the setting that has inspired so much gaming delight, and, in fact, brings it closer to what the setting has often been presented as.

Also, FR is Pretty Generic Even With the Wall: If what you're looking for is a setting that's not generic, FR's going to struggle to provide that, even WITH the wall. There's still a Tolkeinesque land seen through a funhouse mirror where murderhobos raid dungeons and slay dragons with spells and swords. FR has distinguishing traits (mostly, its deep history), but "People have to worship a god or they get punished" isn't really one of 'em. If it was, it would've come up more than as a side-paragraph in the SCAG for all that has been written about it so far in 5e. In fact, it NOT being a more central trait is part of its weirdness (you'd think that it would feature along with Thay and the Zhentarim or Menzoberranzen or the orcs of the north or the other BBEG's of the Realms).

At that point, as a DM, I'd have to turn to the player and ask why they want to play in this setting. Obviously there are some serious disconnects between what the player wants and the setting that's being played. Why have a character whose base goal (and this is a pretty fundamental part of the character) is to blow up the setting? If you want a setting where souls are not judged but simply go to whatever alignment plane they should go to, there are a number of settings for you. Greyhawk works this way. GenericLand D&D works this way. Planescape works this way. I'm sure there are other settings too.
Would you ask the same thing of someone who wanted to fight the Red Wizards or stop the Cult of the Dragon? Would they be guilty of trying to turn FR into GenericLand? Because it's no different. When you introduce something monstrous and cruel like the Wall into your setting of heroic fantasy adventure, you have to expect that heroic characters will be motivated to change that. That's what heroes do. Sorcerer-kings fall, evil gods are slain, wicked kings deposed, armies of evil stopped, and goodness is restored to the multiverse. This happens every day at tables all around the world. Why should the Wall be any more immune to this fate than Kalak or the Red Wizards or the Dragonarmies? It is a thing that produces suffering and pain. Why SHOULDN'T a hero seek to end it? Nefarious things are THERE for PC's to fight and overcome.

It's not breaking the setting to want to fight against the villains it gives us.

Why are you trying to turn Forgotten Realms into another setting?
Why are the Heroes of the Lance trying to turn Dragonlance into another setting? Why are the faction members in Planescape trying to turn Planescape into another setting? Why are the rebels in Dark Sun trying to turn Dark Sun into another setting? Why are the Knights of the Raven trying to turn Ravenloft into another setting?

Your question rests on flawed assumptions.

Hussar

Legend
I'm a Banana said:
When you introduce something monstrous and cruel like the Wall into your setting of heroic fantasy adventure, you have to expect that heroic characters will be motivated to change that. That's what heroes do

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page65#ixzz3vl5jgCQa

Ahh, see, there's the rub. I see nothing monstrous or cruel whatsoever about the Wall. I really don't. The Wall is part and parcel of many, many real world religions and mythologies. The concept of judgement by some force in the afterlife is pretty stock standard in many afterlives and it's extremely rare for any religion to reward hereticism. So, no, I'm really not seeing the burr in your saddle. I'm seeing someone trying to force other settings canon on a setting that doesn't need it.

Why are the Heroes of the Lance trying to turn Dragonlance into another setting? Why are the faction members in Planescape trying to turn Planescape into another setting? Why are the rebels in Dark Sun trying to turn Dark Sun into another setting? Why are the Knights of the Raven trying to turn Ravenloft into another setting?

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page65#ixzz3vl6Yx1Q8

In Dragonlance, the whole point of the setting is to fight the Dragonarmies. That's a basic aspect of the setting. What you are doing is, instead, trying to rewrite Dragonlance so that it's cosmology fits with the rest of Generic D&D. Your Heroes of the Lance would be fighting ALL the gods instead of fighting to restore the Balance and every character that loses faith in the Gods is either insane or evil.

The Heroes of the Lance spend five years trying to find evidence of the gods before the War of the Lance starts. The only one who abandons the search is Kitiara who becomes a Dragon Highlord, eventually murders the party's paladin and is eventually killed by Lord Soth in a rather horrible way. In your approach, we should all be trying to fight all the gods and drive all of them away from the Krynn. Which is an interesting campaign, and would be fun, but, is most certainly not a Dragonlance campaign.

Forgotten Realms campaigns contain strong elements of faith and religion. I've seen complaints about how the first two 5e AP's are all about fighting cultists. But, it does make a lot of sense. The gods are extremely active in FR. Remove the requirement of patronage for the gods and it becomes just another generic setting. Or at the very least, even more generic than it already is.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Ahh, see, there's the rub. I see nothing monstrous or cruel whatsoever about the Wall. I really don't.
That doesn't really defeat the point, of course. Even if it's only SOME CHARACTER who sees it that way, it's no different from SOME CHARACTER who sees the sorcerer kings as in need of a good coup, or SOME CHARACTER who sees the Dragonarmies as in need of a good stompin'. You made a protagonist, and there is this antagonist, and GO FOR IT.

You don't need to agree with it to see that it's not really changing the appeal of the setting to change the Wall.

The Wall is part and parcel of many, many real world religions and mythologies. The concept of judgement by some force in the afterlife is pretty stock standard in many afterlives and it's extremely rare for any religion to reward hereticism. So, no, I'm really not seeing the burr in your saddle.
We've been over this a LOT in the last 60 pages, and I don't see anything new here. In the real world, where judgement in the afterlife can lead to punishment and reward, that judgement is never constrained purely by doctrinal allegiance, it is nearly always dependent on a morality greater than a single religious tradition. Whether it's the pope saying Atheists are welcome in heaven, or Ma'at weighing order and obedience against chaos and destruction, or Mormons praying for the dead, or Valhalla welcoming those who die in battle (whatever their nationality), or any one of an insanely huge number of examples. The exceptions are notable for being exceptions (and for often being repudiated by orthodox tradition). To pretend otherwise is to deeply misunderstand the cosmology and worldview of hundreds of millions of people living and dead.

And there's no reading of "A good person can get put into the wall" that makes it NOT an aberration of justice.

I'm seeing someone trying to force other settings canon on a setting that doesn't need it.
There's no other settings here, just FR and the assumptions that FR itself embraces, which are explicity inclusive of other worlds' assumptions. FR isn't a myopic setting, it's a sprawling kitchen sink that includes a multitude of other settings and worlds alongside Toril. To ignore THAT is to ignore the setting as it's presented.

In Dragonlance, the whole point of the setting is to fight the Dragonarmies. That's a basic aspect of the setting.
It's also a great change to the setting, slaying its motivating evil.

What you are doing is, instead, trying to rewrite Dragonlance so that it's cosmology fits with the rest of Generic D&D. Your Heroes of the Lance would be fighting ALL the gods instead of fighting to restore the Balance and every character that loses faith in the Gods is either insane or evil.
I'm not clear how proposing a story where the PC's tear down the Wall has anything to do with re-writing Dragonlance.

The Heroes of the Lance spend five years trying to find evidence of the gods before the War of the Lance starts. The only one who abandons the search is Kitiara who becomes a Dragon Highlord, eventually murders the party's paladin and is eventually killed by Lord Soth in a rather horrible way. In your approach, we should all be trying to fight all the gods and drive all of them away from the Krynn. Which is an interesting campaign, and would be fun, but, is most certainly not a Dragonlance campaign.
All Dragonlance campaigns are the same story? Just a river-and-lakes model where you aren't allowed to change anything significant? Then I'm better off reading novels and playing videogames. This is D&D, I want to collaborate in telling a heroic fantasy story about MY CHARACTER and the party they are in, to throw plans into a blender and see what pops out. I'm not interested in Telltale Games presents: The War of the Lance, I'm interested in doing what D&D does best: emergent storytelling from the unexpected interaction of gameplay elements and player choices. If all I'm doing is playing Tasselhoff-lite, or Drizz't Knock-Off #228, then I don't get to define my story, and I'm not doing what I love using D&D to do.

Forgotten Realms campaigns contain strong elements of faith and religion. I've seen complaints about how the first two 5e AP's are all about fighting cultists. But, it does make a lot of sense. The gods are extremely active in FR. Remove the requirement of patronage for the gods and it becomes just another generic setting. Or at the very least, even more generic than it already is.
Nah, WotC is just running through the gauntlet of iconic D&D villains (lots of cultists there). FR isn't necessarily a world of strong faith and religion. Or else the Dragonborn wouldn't be what they are, and Driz'zt's story would have more gods in it, and you wouldn't have the Wall of the Faithless relegated to a blurb in the books that a lot of people either ignore or downplay so much that it doesn't affect the party. The initial presentation of FR, again, was totally fine with the faithless. Faith isn't a core concept of FR (unlike, say, deep history, or common magic, which are pretty core to FR).

To envision the Realms as a world about faith is to ignore a boatload of lore on the Realms. It's seeing what you want to see (for some reason) instead of seeing what's there. What's there are athiest dragonborn and alternate cosmologies and spelljammers and the Great Wheel and portals to Real Earth and alternate worlds without gods and wars among the gods and ascended mortals and overgods and all those things that give a party a great reason to take down the Wall.

Saying FR is about characters with deep faith is like saying Planescape is about Bladelings, or Dark Sun is about Andropinis, or Dragonlance is about the Gully Dwarves. It's way, WAY too narrow a view of the setting, and arguably one that misses the real meat of what the setting provides.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Ahh, see, there's the rub. I see nothing monstrous or cruel whatsoever about the Wall. I really don't. The Wall is part and parcel of many, many real world religions and mythologies. The concept of judgement by some force in the afterlife is pretty stock standard in many afterlives and it's extremely rare for any religion to reward hereticism. So, no, I'm really not seeing the burr in your saddle. I'm seeing someone trying to force other settings canon on a setting that doesn't need it.

In Dragonlance, the whole point of the setting is to fight the Dragonarmies. That's a basic aspect of the setting. What you are doing is, instead, trying to rewrite Dragonlance so that it's cosmology fits with the rest of Generic D&D. Your Heroes of the Lance would be fighting ALL the gods instead of fighting to restore the Balance and every character that loses faith in the Gods is either insane or evil.

This thread's discussion has gone around in circles a bit, but I don't get your objection to Banana's objection. You're fine with the way the Wall is written in Realmslore, which is totally cool, but you seem very impassioned to discount the opinions of those who don't like it.

Yes, many real world religions incorporate punishment for those who don't "believe" in the right way . . . and a lot of people in the real world have a problem with this too, so why wouldn't we have a problem with it in our escapist fiction? It's cruel IRL, it's cruel in fiction. It's not a matter of the concept being unrealistic, it's "realistic" and cruel. Some of us don't like that. Dragonlance most certainly does have a similar problem, IMO, as the Realms.

The whole "good and evil must be balanced" BS written into the original trilogy's backstory has always cheesed me off in the same way that the Wall in FR does. So, the Kingpriest aligns himself with "good", but isn't really good, he's a despotic ruler who becomes so powerful his might challenges the gods. So they drop a mountain on him. With a LOT of collateral damage!!! I remember playing a character way back during my middle school years that had the attitude of, "Screw Paladine! Instead of simply giving the Kingpriest a heart attack, he dropped a freaking mountain on EVERYBODY!" Fun times.

I don't think these theological issues in the cosmology of Dragonlance or the Realms are "unrealistic" per se, but I think they jar with the idea of heroic fantasy. When the forces of "good" engage in despotic acts, it lessens the heroism. In a darker or more gritty campaign, they might fit in just fine. I sometimes find the real world to be a bit dark and gritty.

Now, I think one can enjoy both the Realms and Dragonlance "as written" even if these cosmological elements irritate. That Dragonlance campaign from middle school was a lot of fun, despite my personal distaste and my character's bitterness. And, of course, part of the beauty of D&D is to take existing material and modifying it so that it does please. I think it would be hella easy to modify what I don't like about Dragonlance and still have it be very much Dragonlance. Same with the Realms. Easy peasy. YMMV.

Hussar

Legend
Comparing a couple of lines here:

I'm a Banana said:
That doesn't really defeat the point, of course. Even if it's only SOME CHARACTER who sees it that way,

(and)

And there's no reading of "A good person can get put into the wall" that makes it NOT an aberration of justice.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page66#ixzz3vm39o2y9

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page66#ixzz3vm2xqSin

See, that's the fundamental breakdown. You are insisting that the Wall must be interpreted as evil. I'm saying that I have no problems whatsoever with a religion that punishes the faithless. Your claims to the contrary ignore one very important fact - when people within those particular cultures you named repudiate the faith of their people, then they don't get to go to whatever heaven that culture claims.

Someone who ignores Ma'at and is from that culture, is judged and doesn't get to go to Egyptian heaven.

At some point, when can the DM just turn to the player and say, "Get with the program"? Dragon lance as a setting is not about deeply nuanced moral issues. It's black hats and white hats straight up heroic fantasy. It's frustrating as hell to have one or two players who insist on playing a different game than everyone else at the table. Everyone else is playing heroic fantasy but, there's that guy who's trying to change the game to something else.

Which [MENTION=18182]Dire Bare[/MENTION] answers your question about why I've got such a problem with this. Trying to ignore the level of faith that is important in the setting because it didn't exist in the original boxed set ignores tons and tons of setting material. Good grief, how many gods are there in Forgotten Realms? How many of the factions in FR are directly tied to the gods? Harpers spring to mind. Good grief, Drizz't stories are all about Drow society which is a theocracy. Removing religion from the Drow and what are they? Kinda funny looking elves with a leather fetish? One of the best video games for FR was Baldur's Gate where you actually play the offspring of a god.

It's not like faith takes a far backseat in FR. It's right front and centre.

Me, I'd rather play a setting for what the setting has to offer rather than try to rewrite the setting to suit my tastes.

Hussar

Legend
I dunno. I'm probably flogging the equine far too hard here and seeing things that aren't really an issue.

It's just that I just recently proposed a Low Magic, Sword and Sorcery campaign for Primeval Thule. First three character concepts that came back to me were a warlock devoted to the Old ones, a full on wizard and a shadow monk. It's very, very frustrating to pitch a concept, have the players say, yup, we want to play that concept, and then get concepts that are pretty much the exact opposite to the concept that you pitched.

Which is probably why I'm having a larger issue here and being less flexible. Forgotten Realms, to me at least, as it has been presented for a very long time, is deeply entrenched in faith and religion. Clerics, the gods and whatnot are bloody well everywhere and have huge impacts on the setting. The biggest events in the setting are all about the gods. Has FR actually had a large scale war or conflict that wasn't directly linked to a god or gods? Orcs hate elves because their god took out the orc god's eye. Kobolds hate gnomes because of the gods. Seven Sisters, Harpers, the group of terrorist druids whose name completely escapes me, on and on and on.

Could you play the Realms where faith and whatnot isn't a major mover and shaker? Sure, anything's possible. But, at that point, I really have to ask, why bother? Why not use a setting where that's true instead of stripping out major elements of an existing setting?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
We've been over this a LOT in the last 60 pages, and I don't see anything new here. In the real world, where judgement in the afterlife can lead to punishment and reward, that judgement is never constrained purely by doctrinal allegiance, it is nearly always dependent on a morality greater than a single religious tradition. Whether it's the pope saying Atheists are welcome in heaven, or Ma'at weighing order and obedience against chaos and destruction, or Mormons praying for the dead, or Valhalla welcoming those who die in battle (whatever their nationality), or any one of an insanely huge number of examples. The exceptions are notable for being exceptions (and for often being repudiated by orthodox tradition). To pretend otherwise is to deeply misunderstand the cosmology and worldview of hundreds of millions of people living and dead.

It seems to me you are the one that deeply misunderstands them. Or I should say is willfully ignoring the individual parts of the religion to try to push your particular viewpoint. Sorry, I have actually studied real world religions. You are very wrong. Deeply wrong about them. You are citing loose examples that don't even begin to dig into the depth of each religion and the absurdity they believe in. You think the Forgotten Realms sending you to Wall was harsh compared to old world religions? Really? I can tell you it is fairly minor.

I was raised Catholic. You can go to hell according to the doctrine for a variety of absolutely idiotic reasons. Dying without being baptized and cleansed of original sin, according to doctrine you get a trip to hell even if you're a baby. Makes no sense, but it is doctrine. Not getting last rights when dying while having committed a mortal sin, a trip to hell by doctrine. A good Catholic will tell you they don't know for sure, but by doctrine, likely hell. These things are told you to very much in the following fashion, "Well, we don't know for sure, but this is what Catholic doctrine says." So this whole idea of atheists in heaven is not part of all Christian doctrine, not by any means. Just because The Pope says it, does not make it doctrine. There are many branches of Christianity that very much preach if you have not accepted Christ as your savior, you get a trip below. I haven't practiced Catholicism for a while, so maybe some of this has changed. But for thousands of years the above was doctrine. It affects their stance on many political issues.

This whole idea you attempted to push on us that faithlessness or doctrinal allegiance isn't a fundamental element of real world religions is very much like touching the surface of the ocean and saying all water is wet. It's shallow, false, and doesn't at all explore religion as it was in the ancient world. Many of the examples you listed are but one minority view of the religions you cited. If you explore the religions you cited, you'll find things like Muslims believing atheists are heading down to hell no matter how good they are. Many denominations of Christianity believing if you haven't acknowledged the Lord as your savior, you're damned. Many of the old pantheon religions acknowledged the existence of other gods and assumed the gods of a people would take care of those people. For example, this idea that all warriors that die in battle go to Valhalla is false. The Vikings or Nordic people didn't care where other people went after they die. That was their business and not of concern to the individuals. Pantheons handled the people that worshiped them. They left people in other areas to their gods. Monotheism pushed the idea of sole creators that handled everyone.

Let's look at Valhalla. Sure, a bunch of warriors get to enter Valhalla if they die in battle. You go to where if you die in your bed with your family? Somewhere pleasant? So according to the religious traditions of the Vikings, failing to die in battle leads to a less pleasant afterlife, in fact possibly a negative afterlife. Is this good? I would say definitely no.

Ma'at and Egyptian religious tradition was not all based on the concept of goodness as you would perceive it. It was based on what Egyptians considered good including obeying your master as a slave. The desecration of temples or blasphemy was considered a violation of Ma'at. Do you think an Egyptian would consider it acceptable to deny the existence of the gods or fail to worship them? Or would that be blasphemy and a violation of Ma'at? The Pharoah was also an integral part of deciding what was and was not Ma'at. If you denied the pharoah's status as god, you would considered committing blasphemy. Once you died, you would be eaten by a monster.

So stop trying to sell people that the Wall is evil by nature. Lots of ancient and even current religions believe worse things. You can be as good as you want, but you don't get baptized or don't do certain things you might consider stupid, you end up in a bad place. The Wall of the Faithless is no different. So trying to sell us on this false idea concerning ancient religions only works if you are allowed to speak of them in a very shallow fashion. Dig deeper you starting finding out all types of beliefs in religions that you would be complaining about and probably do complain about right now.

I'd love to see you debate baptism to a Catholic. Or argue with a priest that excommunicated a woman for divorcing her husband because he beat her. Or talk to a Baptist about atheists and hell. Or talk to a Muslim about what happens to someone that converts to a different religion even if it is still of the book. Or a Viking that dies of old age. Or a Greek that doesn't make offerings at the temple to the gods. Or an Egyptian that defies the Pharoah and denies his divinity. See if their gods according to their doctrine allow them into a good afterlife even though their doctrine says they're heading somewhere else.

The Wall of the Faithless is a very minor terror compared to some of the absolutely stupid and evil reasons you can end up in a bad place in most real world religions, modern or ancient. You can't tell me much. I was raised Catholic. We have some of the dumbest reasons for going to hell of any of the religions. We also had some of the most ridiculous ways of going to heaven of any religion like indulgences or confession. The Wall of the Faithless is a fairly minor annoyance compared to some of the stuff you have to do as a Catholic to keep your get into heaven card up to date regardless of the new happy Pope's view on things.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I don't want to dig TOO deep into RW theology here, but I do want to be clear on a few points.
[sblock]
You can go to hell according to the doctrine for a variety of absolutely idiotic reasons. Dying without being baptized and cleansed of original sin, according to doctrine you get a trip to hell even if you're a baby. Makes no sense, but it is doctrine.
That's not a correct understanding of the sacrament. The usual functional work-around for this is the age of accountability, but that's a bit non-doctrinal, so why don't we just ask the source:
Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.
...so, "We're reasonably confident God's not sending babies to Hell, guys."

Not getting last rights when dying while having committed a mortal sin, a trip to hell by doctrine.
That's a novel proposition - the sacrements aren't considered universally essential (or else every Catholic would be a priest!), and not having the Annointing of the Sick or the Viaticum (which isn't itself even a sacrament) certainly isn't among the mortal sins listed in the CCC. Though there ARE a lot of things on there I imagine many Catholics have frequent need of repenting of. :)

A good Catholic will tell you they don't know for sure, but by doctrine, likely hell. These things are told you to very much in the following fashion, "Well, we don't know for sure, but this is what Catholic doctrine says." So this whole idea of atheists in heaven is not part of all Christian doctrine, not by any means. Just because The Pope says it, does not make it doctrine.
Nah, but it's basically his job to interpret the Bible for Catholics, and he says that God's love trumps all, even non-belief, which I've gotta say, is pretty consistent with the whole religious message of Catholicism. If someone wants to dispute his interpretation, they're going to have to put some effort into actually changing his mind, do some exegesis, develop some Catechismal strategies, not just say "You're WRONG, Holy Father!"

There are many branches of Christianity that very much preach if you have not accepted Christ as your savior, you get a trip below. I haven't practiced Catholicism for a while, so maybe some of this has changed. But for thousands of years the above was doctrine. It affects their stance on many political issues.
Lets not blend Catholicism with the many branches of Christianity - that does a disservice to both of 'em. :) (And poor Eastern Orthodox, always the outlier in these convos!) If you'd like to chat about what some Protestants believe in regards to an eternal Hell for non-believers, things get more interesting and more complex in a hurry, especially when you weave in the particularly American branches of fundamentalist Protestantism that tend to dominate religious conversation in the States these days, so it'd be useful to lock down your specific flavor of Christianity before we start talking about what that specific flavor believes. Hell, especially, is one of those things that a disagreement on can give you a reason to start a whole new sect of Protestantism!

I've no doubt that there's some specific flavors who would probably embrace an eternal Hell for people who don't believe their specific flavor, but these tend to be fundamentalisms, which are inherently non-traditional anyway (and, I might add, with a particular interest in tribalism that is quite the opposite of the way most traditional religious theology is expressed), despite the amount of time given in the current media cycle to those who adhere to fundamentalisms. Consistent theology isn't what they're interested in.

If you explore the religions you cited, you'll find things like Muslims believing atheists are heading down to hell no matter how good they are. Many denominations of Christianity believing if you haven't acknowledged the Lord as your savior, you're damned. Many of the old pantheon religions acknowledged the existence of other gods and assumed the gods of a people would take care of those people. For example, this idea that all warriors that die in battle go to Valhalla is false. The Vikings or Nordic people didn't care where other people went after they die. That was their business and not of concern to the individuals. Pantheons handled the people that worshiped them. They left people in other areas to their gods. Monotheism pushed the idea of sole creators that handled everyone.
These are all pretty surface understandings of these belief systems. For instance, in Islam, this Qu'ranic verse can be VERY important in understanding the nature of what belief means in Islam, and under what criteria one becomes an "unbeliever."
[/sblock]

Let's look at Valhalla. Sure, a bunch of warriors get to enter Valhalla if they die in battle. You go to where if you die in your bed with your family? Somewhere pleasant? So according to the religious traditions of the Vikings, failing to die in battle leads to a less pleasant afterlife, in fact possibly a negative afterlife. Is this good? I would say definitely no.
It's not good as most of us would understand it, but it is fair. If you want a heroic afterlife, die a heroic death. It doesn't matter if you think Thor is unworthy of worship or if you burned down an orphanage or if you saved innocent lives.

The Wall isn't fair, so it fails to be like Valhalla. You don't have to be good to avoid the Wall, you have to be devout. Which isn't the same (unlike in monotheisms). And you do this in a world where the gods are often not worthy of devotion (again, unlike in monotheisms). Valhalla was never won by praising the gods. who you might understandably often deride - stupid Thor hitting the mead hall with his lightning bolt, burning it to the ground, wreckin' all the mead.

Ma'at and Egyptian religious tradition was not all based on the concept of goodness as you would perceive it. It was based on what Egyptians considered good including obeying your master as a slave. The desecration of temples or blasphemy was considered a violation of Ma'at. Do you think an Egyptian would consider it acceptable to deny the existence of the gods or fail to worship them? Or would that be blasphemy and a violation of Ma'at? The Pharoah was also an integral part of deciding what was and was not Ma'at. If you denied the pharoah's status as god, you would considered committing blasphemy. Once you died, you would be eaten by a monster.
The idea of an ancient egyptian committing blasphemy is entirely ahistorical and irrelevant to both of those ideas. Blasphemy can only happen where there is orthodoxy and there's no such thing as orthodoxy in ancient egyptian religion (in part because there was no central authority - it was cultural).

I'd love to see you debate baptism to a Catholic. Or argue with a priest that excommunicated a woman for divorcing her husband because he beat her. Or talk to a Baptist about atheists and hell. Or talk to a Muslim about what happens to someone that converts to a different religion even if it is still of the book. Or a Viking that dies of old age. Or a Greek that doesn't make offerings at the temple to the gods. Or an Egyptian that defies the Pharoah and denies his divinity. See if their gods according to their doctrine allow them into a good afterlife even though their doctrine says they're heading somewhere else.
I've talked to a lot of those people (though I'd hardly call them debates - there's nothing to prove!), and I've heard from those that are long gone from this world through those that have studied them.

So stop trying to sell people that the Wall is evil by nature. Lots of ancient and even current religions believe worse things. You can be as good as you want, but you don't get baptized or don't do certain things you might consider stupid, you end up in a bad place. The Wall of the Faithless is no different.
So trying to sell us on this false idea concerning ancient religions only works if you are allowed to speak of them in a very shallow fashion. Dig deeper you starting finding out all types of beliefs in religions that you would be complaining about and probably do complain about right now.
The Wall of the Faithless is a very minor terror compared to some of the absolutely stupid and evil reasons you can end up in a bad place in most real world religions, modern or ancient. You can't tell me much. I was raised Catholic. We have some of the dumbest reasons for going to hell of any of the religions. We also had some of the most ridiculous ways of going to heaven of any religion like indulgences or confession. The Wall of the Faithless is a fairly minor annoyance compared to some of the stuff you have to do as a Catholic to keep your get into heaven card up to date regardless of the new happy Pope's view on things.

I'm not inclined to stop telling the truth. The Wall fails to be like anything in the real world. The Real World afterlives aren't nearly so monstrous. That's fine. It can be monstrous - we can have villains to fight against in our D&D settings. We should stop imagining that it is anything other than that, though, and treat it for what it is - a horrible fate inflicted on undeserving souls for the enrichment of a system whose benefit of this torment incriminates the whole thing as detestable. That's a valid character narrative, and a valid campaign arc, just as overthrowing the lich of Thay is.

RotGrub

First Post
Actually, in the 3e realms there is a chance you can't even be raised if you don't have a patron.

IMO, this is a good thing because it keeps players focused on role playing a bit more. In my last FR campaign I had a player who wanted to create a godless "I don't role play" Paladin. When I told him that in the FR there is a chance his character might not be raised he changed his his mind. He clearly wanted all the power with no strings attached.

The moment a player says he wants to play a godless character in a setting like the FR a red flag goes up. So for me, this bit of lore is one of the reasons I like the FR.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases