D&D 5E Legendary Actions

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The rules state you can only use one LA at a time, and only after another creature's turn. Thus in my opinion they can only use one LA after the PC's turn and that's it (since the next creature up is them, and their LAs reset.) So they get to use one LA. However, they still have their normal full allotment of LAs available, so that one use can still be a LA that "costs" multiple LAs to power.

Seeing as how one single PC against a Legendary creature is potentially a slaughter anyway... I don't really think the creature needs to use more than one a round regardless. ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
hahahahahahhahahaahhahaa oh my stars and your guts. I just thought a thought.
"AFTER ANOTHER CREATURE'S TURN!" Not a pc but another creature. Give a critter with LA some support. And roll init for each group of critters. boo hahahahhahahha
Pc monk I got a 27
Pc fighter 22+
Dm Dragon 8.
Pc wizard 15.
Pc thief 18
DM giant 16 - 1 in 15 minus, Hell hounds get 18.
Pc so....
Dm laughs.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=7006]DEFCON 1[/MENTION] is entirely correct in the rules as written. And that legendary actions are to help with the action economy of multiple PCs vs. a solo opponent and with a single PC only doing one is appropriate for the combat.

However I believe that the intent is that all are used every round and that is built into the Challenge rating / XP value. If the creature will not have a chance to do so, I would lower the challenge and XP.

Dausuul

Legend
Strictly by the rules: Only one.

However, I think this is a) extremely weird and b) an invitation to rules shenanigans, so I rule that legendary creatures get their full allotment of legendary actions every round.

jgsugden

Legend
RAW: Only one opportunity to use LAs when going solo versus solo. However, if the monster has a way to bring in allies...

RAI: I don't think they were worried about this issue at all. I do not believe they had any intentions relating to what should happen when a solo PC faces off against a legendary monster.

RAF: This is likely not going to be a fun encounter if this matters. There are few legendary encounters that are a fair fight for a solo PC, even if the PC is 20th level. If the monster is trying to kill the PC, with or without the legendary actions, they'll likely win.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Fezzik from the Princess Bride explains it. You use different moves when you are fighting just one as opposed to a group. It has bee so long since I fought just one. I specialize in fighting groups.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases