Solo: A Star Wars Story (seen it!) (spoilers)

Joker

First Post
I see a fair number of you went in with low expectations. Why is that? Is it the troubled production or did one of the recent films not inspire confidence? Or maybe you felt like it was a story that didn't need to be told. Or some other reason?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I see a fair number of you went in with low expectations. Why is that?

For me, going in with low expectations is my default. I specifically take a bit of effort to not get my expectations up. There is, in fact, nothing for me to gain by having high expectations, but something to lose, as if my expectations are not met, I have a double layer of disappointment, rather than a single layer.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see a fair number of you went in with low expectations. Why is that? Is it the troubled production or did one of the recent films not inspire confidence? Or maybe you felt like it was a story that didn't need to be told. Or some other reason?

The troubled production, plus I couldn’t see any reason why we needed Solo’s backstory.

One thing that bugs me about prequels is that characters are originally introduced in exactly the way the original writer or director wanted, with the amount of information required to get the effect they wanted. Han Solo was a cypher deliberately (as was Boba Fett, but the less said about that the better).

Despite that, this turned out pretty good.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One thing that bugs me about prequels is that characters are originally introduced in exactly the way the original writer or director wanted, with the amount of information required to get the effect they wanted. Han Solo was a cypher deliberately (as was Boba Fett, but the less said about that the better).

I find the weakness in such stories comes in spending so much time and effort hitting the beats that explain specific comments or character points that we don't get a good story.

Solo got a bit lucky - they did spend a lot of time showing off the ship we already know, taking multiple scenes to retell how he got the Falcon, retroactively noting those silly dice, justifying the "Kessel run in 12 parsecs" comment, and so on, but they did wedge a cogent story into the midst of that. It was still all kind of crammed together - like, all the stuff we knew about him happened in one week ten years b efore we see him? Really? But, that logic aside, the film was fun to watch.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Is it the troubled production or did one of the recent films not inspire confidence?
Disney bought the rights to Star Wars and their subsequent overall attitude of 'clear out everybody else's work and take over from here' - then botching the backstory between Ep6 and Ep7 - did not inspire confidence.
Troubled production can be fixed, and it sounds like it was in this case.

ccs

41st lv DM

Oh a few reasons....
1) I don't buy the lead actor as Han Solo. I've seen him in other stuff & not been impressed. When they announced they'd cast him in the role I knew to adjust any expectations way down.

2) Other than R1, I've not been impressed with either EP7 or EP8.
EP7? I vividly remember seeing a better version of this movie back in '77....
EP8? So this is what a Taun Tauns' turd looks like. It's only redeeming feature is how it trolled all those idiots concocting theories about Snoke. That didn't make it worth the ticket price though.
So a record of 2 parts crap/1 part pretty good....
Now the record stands at 2 parts crap/1 part pretty good/1 part mediocre-irrelevant.

3) Don't get me wrong, I believe there's entertaining pre-EP4 Han Solo stories to be told.
His entry into being a space smuggler.
How he joined up with such a loyal Wookie partner.
Him winning the Falcon.
The Kessel Run.
The job he botched sometime just prior to us meeting him in EP4.
And others.
I DON'T think all those elements need to be shoved into 1 movie. So when I learned that 5/6 of those were present....

4) I KNEW they couldn't resist giving backstory for bits that need no explanation.
Such as his last name. Solo. This name requires an explanation? In a series where there's a family called Skywalker??
His gun. In the past on trading cards, RPGs, etc his gun has been given pointless details. Really? It's a model whatever blaster. In the hands of a criminal. In a time of intergalactic war. IE; nothing special. How/where he get's it is less important than the CGI gophers in Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skull. But they filmed it.
And yep, there they were. Plus more pointless fan service bits.

So yes, my expectations were set really low.
Fortunately, as it didn't have Kylo Ren in it, I knew it couldn't be as bad as EP7/8 (and I presume 9)....

sounds like they should have just done this sapphia-im-pretty-sure-that-given-the-choice-the-entire-29016056.png

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
3) Don't get me wrong, I believe there's entertaining pre-EP4 Han Solo stories to be told.
His entry into being a space smuggler.
How he joined up with such a loyal Wookie partner.
Him winning the Falcon.
The Kessel Run.
The job he botched sometime just prior to us meeting him in EP4.
And others...
...such as
- Star Wars: Scoundrels, which I referenced above. Includes Lando and works with their I-mostly-trust-you-but-sometimes... relationship. Set between Ep 4 and 5 but that could be changed to pre-Ep4 without messing up the story.
- Han Solo at Star's End (the other two books of the early Han Solo Trilogy were not as good, alas)

Unfortunately, Star Wars is more action-based, so 'How Chewie came to be so loyal to Han' isn't going to make 'a good Star Wars movie'. It's something that has to happen in the background.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases