The Witcher RPG to Debut At Gen Con!

R. Talsorian’s The Witcher Role-Playing Game is at the printers and will be available for sale at Gen Con in August. Announced back in 2015 the game is based on the highly popular Witcher computer game series by CD Projekt Red. If you can’t make Gen Con to grab a copy don’t fear, the PDF will be available at the same time, or shortly thereafter.

R. Talsorian’s The Witcher Role-Playing Game is at the printers and will be available for sale at Gen Con in August. Announced back in 2015 the game is based on the highly popular Witcher computer game series by CD Projekt Red. If you can’t make Gen Con to grab a copy don’t fear, the PDF will be available at the same time, or shortly thereafter.

R. Talsorian have warned that Gen Con stock will be limited, as they are getting a rushed advanced shipment of the book for the show. So if you want a copy it’s probably advisable to head to their booth (#1752) as soon as possible, and certainly not wait until Sunday! Once the full print run has arrived in their warehouse the book will be available mail order as well as through distribution to stores worldwide.

The Witcher Role-Playing Game uses a version of R. Talsorians Fuzion system and is set between the Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 video games. We haven’t seen any previews of the game, but will certainly bring you more information if we see anything!

R. Talsorian are also planning on releasing their new updated version of Cyberpunk 2020, called Cyberpunk Red, at the end of the year.

From what was said at last years Gen Con seminar, NO.

Take this with a grain of salt as it is a year old and things may have changed in that time.

The game is about playing in the world of the Witcher and facing the day-to-day struggles. From what was said and I gathered, it did not come across as a adventure game but as political game and a game about your characters life path. Nothing was said about the Witcher schools and for the most part, Witchers have a CHR of 5 or less, just are not liked (that is why in the CRPG everyone is spitting at you).

As said, I am picking it up but not sure how I am going to like it.

Not everyone likes a witcher, true. But, the books make it clear that they travel alone, throughout the realms. From memory, Geralt is in danger from the soldiers than anyone else. But, that is true for all the people of the realm. The soldiers are nasty bullies, at war (or on the brink) and try to use their status to get what they want. The townsfolk on the other hand, 90% of the time, generally just hire him and pay him. The elves (such a sad tale), are just pissed, reclusive and often times itching for a fight. There are bandits everywhere, caused by the war's turmoil.
My point is, life is hard due to the conditions and that is making everyone dislike everyone. Witchers are no exception. They are outcasts. But, still seem less hated than bandits, elves, opposing soldiers, and monsters. :;

76512390ag12

First Post
It's a grimdark setting as much inspired by 20th century Eastern European politics and war as fantasy.

But it could also be as simple as "go kill that monster of the week".. although usually the books suggest it's more subtle and nuanced than that; even monster killing can be an eye opener.

Jhaelen

First Post
Not everyone likes a witcher, true. But, the books make it clear that they travel alone, throughout the realms.
Well, the former isn't all that different from the Magi in the Ars Magica RPG: The gift manifests as a kind of magical aura that causes unease in mundane animals and people. It's why they usually hire companions to deal with people and prefer to spend their time locked up in their labs to conduct research, learn spells and create magic items.

Regarding the latter: Did they clarify at the seminar if all players are supposed to portray witchers? Unless they're going for troupe-style play like in Ars Magica, it would be tricky to rationalize.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Well, the former isn't all that different from the Magi in the Ars Magica RPG: The gift manifests as a kind of magical aura that causes unease in mundane animals and people. It's why they usually hire companions to deal with people and prefer to spend their time locked up in their labs to conduct research, learn spells and create magic items.

Regarding the latter: Did they clarify at the seminar if all players are supposed to portray witchers? Unless they're going for troupe-style play like in Ars Magica, it would be tricky to rationalize.

Not all players will be Witchers. The game (at the time of the seminar) had the players being other classes. From what I gathered, classes were not picked but rolled(?), Witchers were to be rare as a class. Not sure how this would play out with a normal group but may work for a small group. Note: at the time of the seminar, they listed a lot more classes.

The seminar left me with less than warm and fuzzy and thinking they better have put in the detail on the world and culture so I would be able to adapt it.

76512390ag12

First Post
Read the developer notes.
The default may have Witchers but they are rare.
I suggest it's going to be a test of your player's maturity, can they cope with assymetric character mixes.
Assymetric challenges will help.

I have played such games before such as Stormbringer or Ars Magica and it's fine, but I know some don't like that.

Remove ads

Remove ads