Torn Asunder: For That Friend Who Won’t Shut Up About Dark Souls

A focused and flavorful supplement for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Dragon Wing Games, Torn Asunder is for that friend of yours that won’t shut up about Dark Souls; for that dad who’s way into old-school wargames and complains that hiking and climbing are streamlined into skill checks; or that guy at the FLGS with the grey ponytail who keeps recycling the same worn-out stories of AD&D.

While I can certainly understand the appeal of adding a splash of realism to TTRPGs, I believe games should be fun first and foremost, and Torn Asunder takes delight in adding tedium to Pathfinder.

What really sinks Torn Asunder for me is the middling-at-best implementation of these ideas. Almost everything in this supplement is either overwrought or underthought, and has probably been done better elsewhere.

Take, for example, the first section on Critical Effects. While I again applaud DWG for wanting to attach more specific consequences to hit point loss and damage to limbs, the implementation requires checking two different tables and rolling even more dice after each attack is resolved. Who really wants more dice rolling and table-checking in combat?

Unsatisfied with the preexisting rules for Called Shots, the book also includes a whole new section on called shots, except these are more restrictive than even the ones in the Pathfinder Core Rules. Not only that, there is a section specifically dedicated to fumbles - once a common house rule, now an excuse to roll another saving throw and consult another table.

We must move on to the problem of balance. The rules it provides for using the Heal skill to stabilize a dying creature and give it 1d6 hit points comes with, once again, another saving throw, another trip to a table, and a staggering DC 30 Heal check. An equivalent Disguise check would let a character pass off as a specific creature of a different size category to that creature’s dearest friend!

On the other end of imbalance, we cannot finish this review without discussing the Marksman, one of three prestige classes detailed in Torn Asunder. A boon to all critfishers out there, put enough levels into Marksman and you will triple the critical threat range of your favorite weapon and double its critical hit multiplier! While I can appreciate the synergy with the critical effect rules from before, this prestige class seems overpowered.

Beyond balance or usability, Torn Asunder is not exactly the easiest book to read. Small formatting issues plague the text, be they as minor as failures to follow indentation and font style standards or referring to nonlethal damage as “subdual", or as perplexing as having class features negate each other. The book even deliberately repeats itself at one point; after the Critical Effects section comes the line, “While many of the critical effects listed below are identical to those previously listed, some have been modified to better reflect more realistic effects for certain body profiles.”

All is not dire news, however! The art is consistent and consistently excellent – I commend the interior artists for their line art and pencil shading. And, while the tables for the critical effect rules may be excessive, they are also thoughtfully reprinted at the back of the book for ease of use.

Torn Asunder is not a book for every Pathfinder campaign, and I have a hard time imagining it will be for many Pathfinder campaigns. That said, if you want to really turn up the hurt on your players, or they have a hankering for an unforgiving Dark Souls game, this book is for you.

This article was contributed by Ben Reece (LongGoneWrier) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

ddaley

Explorer
I am an "old school" dad who misses a lot about old school D&D... but this book does not appeal to me.

Things I miss... I actually liked when classes were not balanced. I liked how magic users had to struggle at low levels to become the most powerful class in the game, for example. I liked how certain classes had invaluable abilities that no party could do without and certain classes were "luxury" classes.

There was also a lot that I didn't care for in old D&D, but we usually ignored those aspects of the rules.

As much as I fall into the category of people who “won’t shut up about Dark Souls,” I’ll certainly agree that the last thing Pathfinder needs is more complexity.

Or maybe I’m just bitter about the last product that was going to bring a Soulsborne feel, Game Natural's The Hunters Mark, which ended up being mostly just a vaporware scam.

Wait -- who wrote this?

Because Torn Asunder was a 3E d20 expansion originally writtten by Steve Creech and published by Bastion Press in about the 2002-2003 timeframe (I know; I was a playtester).

Is this a reskin with credit to the original authors, or a plagiarized version?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wait -- who wrote this?

Because Torn Asunder was a 3E d20 expansion originally writtten by Steve Creech and published by Bastion Press in about the 2002-2003 timeframe (I know; I was a playtester).

Is this a reskin with credit to the original authors, or a plagiarized version?

Neither of the above. The original was written by Steve Creech and Kevin Ruesch. This version is also written by Steve Creech and Kevin Ruesch, under their company DragonWing Games (which also has the license to sell Bastion Press titles).

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Schmoe

Adventurer
This review would have been a lot more useful for me if the reviewer had told me what the product was before diving into ripping it to shreds. I gather that it has something to do with adding more detailed combat effects, but only by piecing together other details from the review.

Mercule

Adventurer
I am an "old school" dad who misses a lot about old school D&D... but this book does not appeal to me.
Ditto, but for different reasons. What I miss is actually the simplicity of AD&D. I could use a note card for a Fighter or Thief character, if I wanted to. As a GM, I could generalize what critters were in each room and wing the details because the stats were simple enough. PCs didn't have to have a new toy at every level and no one planned out their character to level 20 -- because you probably weren't going to make it there and, even if you did, it was its own reward. The last thing I want, to soothe my nostalgia, is even more complexity in the game. That was 3E, which isn't really "gray ponytail" land (those guys still have black hair, they're just old enough to grow it on their face, too).

Look, there were a couple Dragon articles that had critical hit tables for AD&D, but those were pretty tame and easy to use. Crits certainly weren't "core" or even typical. But, if you really want "old school" critical hit tables, you should just pick up Arms Law for Rolemaster. It's not strictly for D&D, but the effects are absolutely compatible. Just role on the appropriate table whenever you feel like it (say, in place of the current crit rules or using an exploding d20).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases