Casting Wizard spells with Warlock Spell slots

WorstRollEver

First Post
I understand that a Warlocks and other casters can share spell slots. The question is what modifier do you end up using?

Wizards use Int as their casting modifier and Warlocks use Cha; so if I cast a Wizard spell with a Warlock spell slot what happens?

It depends on the spell. Is it a spell you chose when you levelled as a wizard? Then it’s INT.
If it’s a spell you picked up as a warlock, you use charisma.

Normally, the slots are interchangeable and it doesn’t matter what spell you cast in the slot. Like, a paladin can use the extra slots from multiclassing sorcerer or wizard. I think warlock slots are an exception. You can only cast warlock spells because they recharge after a short rest.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

WorstRollEver

First Post
In the multi-classing section of the PHB it has this little blerb. It doesn't explain very well if the spell is still considered a Wizard/Sorcerer/Warlock/etc spell when you use a different slot.

Attachments

• pact magic.png
    pact magic.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,104

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
These questions are answered explicitly in the Multiclassing section of the Player's Handbook.

You use the modifier of the spell list the spell came from.
Warlock slots (from Pact Magic) can be used for other classes' spellcasting, and vice versa. (Taran is wrong on that).

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In the multi-classing section of the PHB it has this little blerb. It doesn't explain very well if the spell is still considered a Wizard/Sorcerer/Warlock/etc spell when you use a different slot.

Check under "Spells Known and Prepared" in the Multiclassing section for the answer. (They count as whatever list you prepared them from).

Cheers!

Dausuul

Legend
Normally, the slots are interchangeable and it doesn’t matter what spell you cast in the slot. Like, a paladin can use the extra slots from multiclassing sorcerer or wizard. I think warlock slots are an exception. You can only cast warlock spells because they recharge after a short rest.
No, you can cast other spells in those slots. The peculiar warlock mechanics are the basis of a number of multiclassing exploits... although I am not aware of any really potent ones that take advantage of using warlock slots to cast non-warlock spells.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Spell = class = modifier = type of focus = any other weird stuff from your class

Slot = character = you just have it = do whatever you want with it

No, you can cast other spells in those slots. The peculiar warlock mechanics are the basis of a number of multiclassing exploits... although I am not aware of any really potent ones that take advantage of using warlock slots to cast non-warlock spells.

And supported by chris perkins you can read it in a way that shuts down those exploits. All it allows is cast spells using the other feature. Nothing is said about using a slot to power a different class feature.
The coffeelock or paladin smites on short rest base are thus not firmly supported by the rules.

Remove ads