Chaotic Good Is The Most Popular Alignment!

D&D Beyond has provided yet another of it's data dumps of 12 million characters -- this time telling us character alignments are most popular in D&D. Chaotic Good wins, followed by my least favourite as a DM, Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic Evil is the least popular.

D&D Beyond has provided yet another of it's data dumps of 12 million characters -- this time telling us character alignments are most popular in D&D. Chaotic Good wins, followed by my least favourite as a DM, Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic Evil is the least popular.

Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 23.14.00.png

The developer does say that this does not count the percentage of characters with no alignment selected. You can see the original video here.

Hussar

Legend
But, reasking the question.

If there is functionally no difference between LG and CN, what's the point of alignment? It's not even descriptive at that point because the descriptors are meaningless if opposite descriptors can apply to the same thing.

Where I do find it interesting is in alignment archetypes. Wolverine makes a pretty good CG archetype, I think we'd agree. But, what's a chaotic neutral archetype? The only one I could think of was Q from Star Trek. And, well, everyone keeps telling me that CN is totally reliable and completely okay with working with groups, so, Q obviously isn't CN by that standard.

So, what character would you see as being typical of a CN alignment?

Zarithar

Adventurer
As a DM I'd rather have a player choose lawful evil than chaotic neutral. I agree with Morrus' take on this. Chaotic neutral usually translates to chaotic annoying.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Not who you were talking to, but I assume in a heroic fantasy context, by the time the Paladin is in a place to even dream of enacting those reforms, there are a lot of heads rolling around on the ground, most of them belonging to the LE tyrants. I'd be surprised if the incumbent administration didn't have to be removed by force. So the Paladin is still gonna go smite some fools.
Oh, for sure! One way or another, there's some violence being done. The difference as I see it is, once the tyrants are overthrown, the LG Paladin says "Now to begin the work of establishing a new state, to restore just order to this society." The CG rogue says, "Now you're free to live your lives without the oppressive influence of a state!" And the NG Cleric says, "Now you'll need to decide for yourselves where to go from here."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

If there is functionally no difference between LG and CN, what's the point of alignment? It's not even descriptive at that point because the descriptors are meaningless if opposite descriptors can apply to the same thing.

Where I do find it interesting is in alignment archetypes. Wolverine makes a pretty good CG archetype, I think we'd agree. But, what's a chaotic neutral archetype? The only one I could think of was Q from Star Trek. And, well, everyone keeps telling me that CN is totally reliable and completely okay with working with groups, so, Q obviously isn't CN by that standard.

I mean, when push came to shove, Q worked with the enterprise crew and helped them save that one planet from the asteroid. Once working with a group was in his own self-interest, he did it. It's not that CN is necessarily reliable, it's just that nothing prevents CN from being reliable, if that's what suits their whims.

Of course, by my standard, CN means someone who lives outside of society (whether literally in the wilderness or as a vagrant in civilized settlements) rather than sacrifice their individual liberties, and neither puts themselves in harm's way to benefit others, nor brings harm to others for their own benefit. I guess an example of a fictional character who fits that bill might be like... Tom Bombadil?

Last edited by a moderator:

5ekyu

Hero

"If there is functionally no difference between LG and CN, what's the point of alignment?"

Is anyone here other than you claiming there is no functional difference between LG and CN?

So, going with one of your recent cases - on watch - itsbperfdftly gone for a CN to be very reliable on watch duty, if that is any part of personal history, for instance. Perhaps the CN is born out of a history where such a tragedy was involved. (Indirectly perhaps) and so now this charscter actively avoid responsibility and despises authority in favor of folks looking out for themselves but when it comes to them bring forced into such roles- in those rare occasions, they do do reliably.

Imagine if you will a tragic tale where in a crisis a community or group listened to bad authority and relied on them to provide for safety only to have that authority prove incompetent or corrupt with tragic consequences.

Imagine one person coming out of that with "screw authority, everybody take care of yourself" who actively avoids positions of responsibility or authority and never relies on official or authority - views them all as default as incompetent or corrupt as that tragic day. This person might well be extremely reliable when they do have to take on such tasks. Thry might take on scout roles so that they don't work as often depending on others.

Imagine another person coming out of the same case who saw it as the failure in authority that leads to the disaster, not that the folks followed, but that the authority failed them. To that person, becoming a beacon of authority that can be seen as competent, non-corrupt, etc to help honor and restore people's faith in order or institutions is key. That person seeks out cases and opportunities to take on authority and obligations- especially when they see cases of corrupton or incompetence again, trying to prevent the repeat tragedy. They may try and help build up or replace - depends on situation and means

The former could easily be CN or anywhere on the C scale depending on other aspects and beliefs. The latter could easily be LN or LG but even LE depending on choices and beliefs and methods.

So, there you have a case of some event producing very different characters on opposite sides of the alignment spectrum for law snd chaos but neither is " unreliable" as far as taking watch or necessarily performing s task they agree to take. The huge difference is one Avoids taking much responsibility and lives in a way that shows "self-reliance and take care of yourself" but the other seeks and takes on responsibility at most every chance and lives to show the value in that.

This kind of division between C snd L is far more common in actual rpg play than the view put forth that C or CN means taking a watch in life or death threat and whimsically doing something else.

To me, you will find a whole lot of folks who agree (usually after bad alignment conflicts with GMs) that LG (or LN) is **not** "lawful stupid" and frankly that holds just as strongly for the C-side not being C-stupid as well.

But again, I find it odd that I am someone who jettisoned alignment in 1e and who played many many other systems where alignment never stained their system pages st sll, yet I am here defending the non-extreme alignment position.

If extremes help your gsme, that's great. To me they fo have value at times but not at the point that you get yourself putting do much of your " options" painted in extreme corners.

Seems to me that a GM eho enforces and reinforces their own notion of "chaotic must mean unreliable" has basically painted thst whole C-side as mostly out-of-bounds for PCs as really one things many parties and small squads will avoid like the plague is unreliable when it matters.

If that helps your games, great.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't think they actively oppose laws at all. I just think that for the most part, they ignore them as being too restrictive. I've never seen a CN PC engage in a war on laws.
Perhaps, though one definition of a true CN is a (non-destructive/violent) extreme anarchist who in fact does actively seek to overturn any and all external laws and restrictions, to be replaced with personal responsibility for one's actions.
I also think that if a law said that you couldn't be punished for doing as you desire as long as it didn't harm someone else, the CN PC would be all for a law like that.
A CG one sure would; a CN might stretch the definition of 'harm' just a little particularly when it comes to property - assuming, of course, the CN even believes in the concept of property/goods ownership at all. (some hardcore anarchists see ownership as the root of all evil)

Hussar

Legend
Imagine one person coming out of that with "screw authority, everybody take care of yourself" who actively avoids positions of responsibility or authority and never relies on official or authority - views them all as default as incompetent or corrupt as that tragic day. This person might well be extremely reliable when they do have to take on such tasks. Thry might take on scout roles so that they don't work as often depending on others. .

But, again, that scout has to report to someone. You just said that they never rely on authority - so, that scout goes off, scouts, finds information, and then keeps it to himself because, well, what's the point of telling those incompetent idiots, they won't actually do anything about it?

Remember, this person places no value on the well being of others. That scout could not care less that his companions get butchered except that it places him in danger. So, the scout goes out, sees something really dangerous, and decides that discretion is the better part of valor and buggers off without telling anyone.

Why? Because he does not value loyalty and only values his own skin.

I'm actually a bit surprised by the vigour in which folks are defending chaotics. Chaotics are, by definition, unreliable. A CN is CN BECAUSE he's unreliable.

Oofta

Legend
But, again, that scout has to report to someone. You just said that they never rely on authority - so, that scout goes off, scouts, finds information, and then keeps it to himself because, well, what's the point of telling those incompetent idiots, they won't actually do anything about it?

Remember, this person places no value on the well being of others. That scout could not care less that his companions get butchered except that it places him in danger. So, the scout goes out, sees something really dangerous, and decides that discretion is the better part of valor and buggers off without telling anyone.

Why? Because he does not value loyalty and only values his own skin.

I'm actually a bit surprised by the vigour in which folks are defending chaotics. Chaotics are, by definition, unreliable. A CN is CN BECAUSE he's unreliable.

And other people keep saying that reliability has little to do with alignment. Not reporting that there is an orcish invasion coming is not chaotic, it's stupid. There are stupid people or lazy people that fall asleep on watch of all alignments. On the other hand if you say a CN may not report a crime they're witnessing I'll agree 100%. They may or may not based on a host of other circumstances that are far too complex to put under a simple alignment system which only tell you a fraction of how a person is going to respond.

Alignments don't define what people do, it helps define why​ they do it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Are you kidding? Falling asleep on watch is not an uncommon thing. It doesn't make people insane. It makes them unreliable. My personal rest time is more important than your safety. Snore.

If the PC is unable to stay awake, alignment has nothing to do with it. If the PC is deliberately going to sleep, it's not "your safety," it's "our safety" or more directly "my safety," which is a fairly crazy position to take.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

River from Firefly. I've seen a few others, but I can't remember them.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads