[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=OOC]If you're all prepped, I will move this along Sunday or Monday.[/sblock]

There is not much to prep for, so I am ready. Heinrich will not jump at maximum defenses until he smells the rot on the wight''s breath . . . . .

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Sorry, was out of town and had no time to post over weekend. Eanos is ready with the scrolls we've gotten. Push on, I say. :) [/sblock]

Systole

First Post
2012112110015927.jpg

Father Mackavoy says a brief prayer before you leave, and Gemma presses a small bag into your hands. "Tears of the Moon. Proof against undead," she says, and the priest frowns slightly. The old fishwife catches Mackavoy's disapproval and snorts. "The sea-witch has been a friend to the fisherfolk since my great-great-grandmother's time, and she knows the ways of the sea, and her gifts have power. Whether she recognizes the authority of Tanager or no. So quit your sour-pussing." The priest doesn't look happy, but doesn't respond.

The path to the elven ruins lie of the far side of town, hugging the lowlands to the west rather than heading southeast into the hills, where the graveyard is. It's hard to locate the path at first, but a few hundred yards into the woods, it becomes clear that the trail has seen increased use in recent weeks, and you can detect shuffling humanoid tracks, as well as the scent of rot and seawater.

A few hours later, you see the beginnings of some debris that looks elvish, and you being moving more quietly. After a few more minutes, you come up through the forest vegetation and can see in the distance a crumbled elven ruin. On the light breeze, you can hear movement and a few spoken words that you can't make out. There's also the familiar strong scent of death things and salt water. There seems to be little doubt you've found the Don's stronghold.

There are no obvious sentries, but there are certainly plenty of dark nooks that could easily hide another undead goblin or two.

[sblock=OOC]You're about 75 yards from the ruins and have not yet been detected, as you're in heavy vegetation. The vegetation thins between you and the ruins, but there's still a bunch of difficult terrain. The ruin's walls enclose an area about thirty or forty yards across, but are largely tumbled and there are multiple points you could climb over rubble if you wanted. The main gate is smoother, but there's a wall behind the opening so you can't see directly inside. Gemma did refer to 'catacombs,' so there's probably tunnels underneath as well.

The bag that Gemma gave you contains grave salt. There's nothing wrong with it; Father Mackavoy just disapproves of a sea-witch that doesn't worship Tanager.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

"Ah Thank you Matron Gemma," He explains what grave salts do to the other two. The wizard moves through the forest with great caution. he follows the lead of the other two.

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos shares his thanks with Gemma, as well, and simply nods his understanding to the woman as she deals with Father Mackavoy's personal preferences.

"Keep yourselves safe as secrets," he offers them by way of his own blessing and farewell.

The inquisitor is tense along the trail, but grateful that no further assaults seem to take place. He hopes that's a good sign, but knows better than to assume.

As the group huddles in the overgrowth at the sound of activity and scent of death, Eanos turns to the others to discuss their approach.

"Might be the right time to use hiding magics to get some recon on the entryway," Eanos offers at a whisper. "The scroll we bought to hide one of us from undead lasts about 10 minutes. Issolatha taught me the secret of invisibility, too. Stack those together, should be worth a reasonable sneak around, yes?" he raises an eyebrow and looks to Tyrien, silently asking if the half-elf has a preference for which of them does the scouting.

"I'm thinking the salt Gemma gave us we should keep on hand for whatever it is Rosa's used. Seems like the kind of thing wouldn't take well to being covered in blessings, yes?

Once we know the best way in, we can bless our arrows, and then I think there's not much left of it but to finish things. At least, I hope there isn't"

[sblock=ooc]We have one Hide from Undead, lasts 10 minutes.
Eanos knows Invisibility, which lasts 10 minutes at his current level.

It looks like Tyrien and Eanos have pretty much identical Stealth and Perception scores. Sense-wise, he has Scent right now while she has Low Light vision, so that may be a wash. His Dimensional Hop may come in handy if he gets caught, but I don't have a preference either way.

I DO have a question about Daybreak Arrow: the spell gives ammuntion radiant energy, and says it "sheds light as if it were a sunrod for 1 round after it is fired or thrown." Two things:

1) Does it only glow when fired? There's no text to indicate you can use a Daybreak Arrow as a sunrod so long as you don't fire it, which makes me wonder if the enchantment doesn't take effect until it's fired (so, it stores the radiant energy until an attack?). This actually seems the most reasonable reading for just that reason. If it DOES glow the whole time it's enchanted, though...

2) Would Tyrien and Eanos' efficient quivers mask the glow? Since they're extra-dimensional spaces, I wasn't sure.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +9
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:75 Current: 73
Senses: Perception 20 (24 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 24/29
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +8 (+11 w/ purity, +12 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +12 (+15 w/ purity, +16 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound
***Purity bonus doubled vs. curses, diseases, and poisons

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +14/+09 = [BAB (07/02)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +10/+05 = [BAB (07/02) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6+2 damage when using Bane ability

2 +1 Daggers (temporary)

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-3 attack, +6 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 22/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 18/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 9/10 remaining
Scrolls: See Invisible x2 (one with Tyrien), Comp Languages x3, Lesser Restoration,
Party scrolls (carried by): Restoration (Eanos), Hide from Undead (Eanos), Summon Monster 2 & 3 (Heinrich), Daybreak Arrow x2 (Eanos)

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 3/4 Remaining
Determination: 4/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 2/7 remaining
Bane: 6/10 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 10/10 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 80'/100' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (5/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Flames of the Faithful, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Halt Undead, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
4th (2/2 remaining)(DC 18): Death Ward, Judgment Light

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
[sblock=OOC]It's currently mid-late afternoon, so daylight-shining arrows are not going to be extra-noticeable in the daylight.

The smell of dead things is stronger here, and Eanos has had a couple close calls with gagging already. I mention this because he's downwind, and it might be a good time to consider whether Scent will do more harm than good once you get inside the ruins.

Please let me know who's carrying the grave salts.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

"I can make mein eyes to see in dark for 10 hours, but das ist slot for emergency. I can see for 120 feet. I am sorry, I did not prepare for much beyond attack and defense. I can summon one ally with spells before needing scrolls."

**Darkvision, greater, 10 hours**

**summon monster 4: medium fire elemental or flame based mephit; dur 10 rounds This spell is an elemental spell for him but he can summln other creatures of the celestial template.**

jkason

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I was more concerned with glowing like torches once we got into the catacombs, if we decided to hide or something, though I suppose we could cover quivers with cloaks if it got to that.

The smell of dead things is stronger here, and Eanos has had a couple close calls with gagging already. I mention this because he's downwind, and it might be a good time to consider whether Scent will do more harm than good once you get inside the ruins.

Unfortunately, looking at the spell description, Bloodhound doesn't have a (D) by it, so I don't think Eanos can dismiss it. That could make things interesting. Maybe Tyrien really should be the scout so Eanos doesn't give them all away by puking.

Please let me know who's carrying the grave salts.

Eanos should have carrying capacity for it, though he's already carrying a bunch of the scrolls, so it might be better if Tyrien has it, so the resources are better distributed?
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien peered through the vegetation as they were considering their approach to the catacombs.

“I agree, a little scouting would be useful. But I have some suggestions.”

“First, if Heinrich has a spell to see in darkness, I think it is better served on the scout. Even with my elven vision, I still need a source of light to see and that might not be possible once inside. I am used to scouting, so I can do that and don my elven cloak too.”

“After we decide to all go in, we will use illumination from my ioun torch at least since stealth will no longer be the plan.”

Turning to the red-haired wizard she continued, “Second, Hienrich, unless you have something else you need to carry in hand, I think you should hold on to the salts from Gemma. That gives us the most flexibility. While Eanos and I have bows in hand we would have to put it in a pouch. So if you are holding it, we can actually get it from you so in effect it is more accessible to us all that way.”

[sblock=OOC Note]Based on the description, it looks like the arrow lights up when fired. I think that is how SK ruled it in Darkness Rising (the last time Tyrien used them).

I am not sure what the Grave Salts are to do exactly. While it might make some sense to spread around resources, I am not sure Tyrien needs them. When push comes to shove, she is always going to want to fire her barrage of arrows.

Instead of having it in someone’s pack or pouch, I think Heinrich should carry it in his hand for the most flexibility. With a Move Action, he can hand off to either Tyrien or Eanos if he doesn’t use himself. [/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 80 Current: 77
CMB: +11 CMD: 30(23ff) Fort: +9 Reflex: +15 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 3/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

Remove ads