D&D 5E 5E has brought this old gmaer back to D&D after 8 years!

BigMike

Explorer
I started playing in middle school in 1978 with the red and blue box sets. I switch to Gamma World and Traveller in high school as I was into science fictional rather than fantasy. Played a little AD&D 1st & 2nd edition in college (along with White Wolf, Star Wars d6, and TORG). I did not get into 3/3.5 edition until the mid 2000's and was in a short 4e campaign in 2011. The last few years have been a mix of Cortex, Dungeon World, and Microlite 20 games. 5e has made me feel like I am 14 again and spending Sunday afternoon in my best friend's basement chasing down the Lich King and his minions.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I started back in 1981 with the Holmes set like many here, and I played through 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5e, a little 4e (the only edition I didn't like), and Pathfinder. I still like Pathfinder a lot and play it regularly, but a formal D&D brand has returned to the table with 5e. While I like many of the more complex elements of 3e/PF, 5e is scratching an old-school oriented itch and I am enjoying that immensely. I thought early on that WotC was taking a "Back to Basics" approach, reassessing lots of assumptions and the nature of D&D itself, and I think it shows in the final product and I hope it pays off for them (as it preliminarily appears to be doing).

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
It's always great to hear someone is returning to our great hobby. I understand that many are returning, including most of the people who were turned away by 4th edition. It seems that Wizards of the Coast really did their research this time!

Is anyone else here an old D&D gamer, brought back into the family because of the awesomeness of 5E?
Or does anyine else just want to be happy with me that D&D brings people like me back?

Yes. I think there are rather a lot of old gamers, like you and like me, who skipped 3rd and 4th edition entirely but have heard enough good things about 5th edition to pick it up and try it. I've been away from (A)D&D since about the time when the Player's Option series started coming out, or maybe it was the later Darksun material (The Will and the Way was the high point for me, the revised Dark Sun boxed set was a low point). Anyway, 5th edition has brought me back to the game after a decade and a half away.

Welcome back!

P.S. Bonus comment, my impressions of 5E: it plays like a more-mobile version of core AD&D2. By "more mobile" I mean that the new (action + item interaction + movement + bonus action + reaction + concentration) framework has new and interesting complications compared to the old (move up to your half movement and attack, or stay put and cast a spell) of AD&D2. I hated, hated, hated the Players Option take on character customization (why should some fighters randomly get magic resistance just for gaining fighter levels? makes no sense) but for some reason in 5E, similar choices don't bother me, perhaps because they are baked into the game from the outset rather than tacked on in an expansion book. The biggest downside to 5E in my mind is the nerfs to the magic system: wizards in 5E are less proactive and more reactive, with more emphasis on throwing Fireballs at visible threats as opposed to sneaking into the enemy base as a flying, invisible, one-inch-tall wizard who lays Fire Traps all over the place. This might have been enough to turn me off 5E completely, if not for the fact that it turns out that there are still some interesting tricks that wizards can prepare ahead of time which do last longer than 10 minutes, ranging from a Demiplane full of Tarrasque to Polymorph abuse to Longstrider to Death Ward (from a cleric) + Magic Jar. This is enough to scratch the itch for wizardry that the GURPS magic system never did--which is itself the single biggest factor leading to me coming back to D&D in the first place, since I never found another game with a magic system that I liked as much. Anyway, 5E is close enough on that score, and although I wish tactical combat had more options along the lines of 2E's Complete Fighter's Handbook[1], overall 5E is quite good at creating the kind of experience that I'm looking for, as long as I totally ignore the CR-based encounter-building rules in favor of a more AD&D-style encounter philosophy. :)

[1] In particular, Disarm and Parry maneuvers. The DMG has a Disarm option (opposed Athlethics check I think) and I'm considering adding a Parry maneuver of some sort. Perhaps I will base it off of Defensive Duelist and say you can sacrifice one or more attacks in order to give yourself +Proficiency to AC against that same number of melee attacks from a specific enemy; this makes Defensive Duelist essentially like a feat that gives you a free attack using your reaction and converts it immediately into a Parry.

Last edited:

weldon

Explorer
Yes. I think there are rather a lot of old gamers, like you and like me, who skipped 3rd and 4th edition entirely but have heard enough good things about 5th edition to pick it up and try it.
Yep. I started in 77 or 78. I still have my basic box set from 79 that has the chits instead of dice, and my AD&D orange spine books from 83. I played a ton of 2nd edition as I started college just before that was released.

I pretty much skipped 3rd edition even though I bought the books. I tried L4W here on enworld, but didn't stick with it.

5e has brought me back too.

aramis erak

Legend
[1] In particular, Disarm and Parry maneuvers. The DMG has a Disarm option (opposed Athlethics check I think) and I'm considering adding a Parry maneuver of some sort. Perhaps I will base it off of Defensive Duelist and say you can sacrifice one or more attacks in order to give yourself +Proficiency to AC against that same number of melee attacks from a specific enemy; this makes Defensive Duelist essentially like a feat that gives you a free attack using your reaction and converts it immediately into a Parry.

There is the defend action - which lets you force a disadvantage upon your opponent. My Barbarian player used it to great effect in one combat... He raged then defended (at level 2) against a half dozen kobolds... while the rogues sniped at the kobolds.

And you may want to look at the "Defensive Duelist" feat. Proficient finesse weapon wielded? React to add Proficiency Bonus to AC. Sounds VERY much like a parry.

And, of course, the Battlemaster Subclass of Fighter can drop a superiority die for damage reduction using the Parry maneuver, and anyone can buy a superiority die with a feat.

Last edited:

Uchawi

First Post
I played since the 70's but 5E went a little too far in reference to old school. I prefer more moving parts, but I am all for consistent rules, easy math, etc. It makes the game much easier to modify.

eryndel

Explorer
Welcome to ENWorld (although it looks like I might be a couple weeks late). I think you'll find a number of us are a little more on the senior side. I started with the old Moldvay B/X while my wife cut her teeth on Holmes (grrrrr!). I've been running through the playtest and now with 5th a little home game for my kids (ages 5, 10, and 13) and I'm really enjoying the flexibility of the system so far. There's enough nuance and crunch to keep by teenage son happy (whose preference lies with 3.5), while giving plenty of tools for my younger daughters to contribute meaningfully to the story.

Great fun, all around. Reminds me of playing as a kid.

Henry

Autoexreginated
A Moldvay, Holmes, and Tweet household living under the same roof?? GOOD GOD, MAN, HOW DO YOU KEEP THE PEACE?!?!?! ;)

Remove ads